Steering Wheel Peeling?

urbex

On the Lumina the top of the steering wheel is starting to flake apart. I don't really know what it is, if it's paint, leather, pleather, or whatever the fuck it is. But the gray part (how about that) is coming off. Not sure if it's from the sun, hands or what, but just about every Lumina I see is like this. Of course, that doesn't make me feel any better about it since it's starting to look like shit.

So, getting a wheel from the junkyard is out of the question since I've NEVER seen one there that wasn't flaking off... I don't want a cover, since I personally don't like them. Is there any way I could paint it or something? Would like one of those automotive interior trim paints work? I really have no idea if it'd stick or not.. I've used that stuff all over my truck including the dash which is kinda squishy like the steering wheel just fine...but I wasn't sure if that'd work. Yeah I'd probably have to paint the whole thing, but I thought it'd be better to ask here first if anyone knew rather than fuck up the one I have...

Got the same problem with my Cutlass, it's leather-wrapped...or at least it was at one time before it turned into a nasty, cruddy, crumbly mass on the top of the wheel..

About the only thing I could think of to do it right would be take it to an upholstery shop, and have it recovered...but I'd bet that would cost a fortune.

Yeah... I don't know that I really want to spend a ton of money to get it reupholstered. Granted it would look great then, but it's just a Lumina...:lol:

I mean, I don't know how much worse I could really make it if I repainted it with that interior paint...

goto junkyard, find leather wrapped wheel in a higher end MC, install. throw urathane POS in trash. problem solved.

Yeah but everything in the junkyard (including the ones from a MC) are just as shitty. I might be going to the jy this weekend, so I'll keep my eyes open, but I've never seen a good one since all these cars are pretty old now...

IIRC some 4th gen camaros should have the same wheel. key is to find a actual leather wrapped one not the crappy urathane ones they put in all the base model stuff.

Hmmm... I've never really noticed more than one type of wheel... Do they look pretty much the same? I guess I'll have to see if I can find any different ones in the jy in a MC... I guess I just thought they were all the same one.

Oh, is it the ones with the steering wheel radio controls? Of course, I'd probably get pissed having that because I'd try pushing the buttons every time I wanted to change the radio and it wouldn't work..:lol:

Edited by urbex

IIRC some 4th gen camaros should have the same wheel. key is to find a actual leather wrapped one not the crappy urathane ones they put in all the base model stuff.

THIS. i've seen them before as well, they are either identical or VERY similar.

Hmmm... I've never really noticed more than one type of wheel... Do they look pretty much the same? I guess I'll have to see if I can find any different ones in the jy in a MC... I guess I just thought they were all the same one.

Oh, is it the ones with the steering wheel radio controls? Of course, I'd probably get pissed having that because I'd try pushing the buttons every time I wanted to change the radio and it wouldn't work..:lol:

at least in 95, all leather wheels were also SWRC IIRC.

also, paint on steering wheel = paint rubbing off on hands constantly.

also, paint on steering wheel = paint rubbing off on hands constantly.

I kinda wondered that, but as it is now I've got this leather shit wearing off on my hands every time I touch it as well...

i'd much rather have the rubber/vinyl steering wheel left on my hand rather than paint.

or you could go uber-douche and wear ferarri gloves while driving. :lol:

Well, I don't know that it would look very good in the Lumina

Besides, it'd have to be "Rent-a-Car Gray" to match the rest of the interior...:lol:

Well I looked at the junkyard this weekend... You cannot find a single good one. Every single one is peeling. I did find one that wasn't, but it was black...so then I'd be stuck with that problem. Even the leather ones in Montes were peeling! :roll:

So... I guess getting a replacement is out of the question unless I want to spend $400 from GMpartsdirect...:lol:

So... I may have found one online at a junkyard down in North Carolina for $75 brand new in the box. I emailed them to make sure I'm reading it right and it is in fact NOS, and if they'll ship. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....:thumbsup:

So I got a call back from the junk yard in North Carolina. Sure enough, it's brand new in the box, $75 + $15 shipping!!!! :dance:

Not bad when GM wants over $400 for a brand new one from the dealer!

Beings that yours is older, I'm surprised it's lasted this long! Mines been doing it for a while now, but once it starts, it progressively happens worse faster. It's like once it starts flaking it peels more up quickly.

I talked to the guy on the phone and he couldn't believe he was selling it. Says he's had it for years and never thought it'd go... I doubt many people are fixing these cars up. :lol:

I had the same problem with my cutlass. When I couldn't find a replacement here's what I did.

Fill in with material from flexible bumper repair kit (If any large pieces missing)

Prime with SEM flexible primer-surfacer

Wet sand

Paint with SEM flexible color coat, made for interior parts

Came out pretty good