next car, Impala? question

npfd

Hi there,

So after changing the water pump twice on the 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (4 door), soon to be gone, we found out that the timing chain gasket cover is leaking, plus the rear head gasket. We may get another car in 6 months to a year or two.

I'm debating to get a second hand Impala LT, but I read up online about some years having headgasket issues. I think after 2008 is fine, is this right?

I read about the rear spindle rods having alignment issues and wearing out the inner? of the tires.... any fix around that?

Anything else to watch for?

Then comes the options. Even 2008 LS with a couple of things is like 16k CAD around 45k km, some others 11K CAD. I would like to get a 2008, 2009 or 2010 LT with bluetooth but its out of the budget, and I can't find any 2008, 2009 LTs (some cases rentals). All the 2010 LT are previous rentals, and more affordable, ~14k+ CAD. Have anyone purchased previous rentals? I'm a little bit afraid that they were abused. Its really hard to find Impalas here in and around Montreal that are not previous rentals.

I would like to add foglights after, and has anyone added bluetooth like the standard GM with the buttons on the right side of the wheel?

There is also a few 2007 Grand Prix, one SE, but I'm not fond of the interior, how do you guys/gals view it?

Thanks

A) Mom got a 2006 Monte that was a previous rental.... had about 26,000 on it then. Now has nearly 190,000. It HAS had some problems, including the headgaskets, but I replaced them myself and it wasn't a huge issue.

B) There was no 2004+ 'SE' Except for 2006, in which case it was ACTUALLY a Special Edition and look damn sexy.

I'm debating to get a second hand Impala LT, but I read up online about some years having headgasket issues. I think after 2008 is fine, is this right?

I read about the rear spindle rods having alignment issues and wearing out the inner? of the tires.... any fix around that?

08 and up have the revised gaskets. Plus the gasket issues on the early cars were strickly external seepage. 08s will have a powertrain warrenty anyway.

I have no clue who told you the spindle rods have issues.:think: If you wear the tires out prematurely, you need an alignment. The rear mount spindle rod (also called lateral arm or link) is adjustable. So have an alignment, problem solved.

If it has Goodyear Integrity tires on it if/when you buy it, head to your nearest tire shop and get a set of new non- Goodyear Integrity tires installed. The Integrity's edgewear like a mofo, its their nature. Even with a perfect alignment, you'll end up with bald shoulders and like 7/32nds tread in the middle:lol: Those have got to be the biggest POS tires ever made:lol:

I have no clue who told you the spindle rods have issues.:think:

there was an article in the newstream about people getting all butthurt that their tires wore out and that GM released some kind of fix for the police models, but not the civy impalas.

My mom's lease-return had brand new Integritys on it when we got it as a CPO a few years back. I didn't even bother rotating them cause I knew they were junk. Got maybe... 25k? Out of them before the shoulders were junk. Threw some General Altimax RT's on there and she loves them.

Thanks guys... now we may have found another option, Buick Allure, 3-4 years old..... how are those? How is the 3.8, any LIM gasket problems? headgaskets?

One thing I've noticed today at the used part in the dealership, that the strut mounts were rusted on the Allure and its not that old. It seems all exposed, same as a rental impala, but not rusted yet. Does that mean the front mounts rust out quickly on these cars? Even looking at pictures he Pontiac G6, they have some kind of covers. I sat in a rental 2011 impala on the lot, and I really liked how comfy the seat was, the Allure seemed firm, is that normal?

Thanks.

I'm still worried about previous rentals.. what about the demo Impala from the dealer?

It seems to be too hard to find regular Impalas. Their are base Grand Prixs 2007, but I don't think the ride, or the seat comfort is the same? I read that its different online... I do prefer the interior of the Impala....

Thanks

Edited by npfd

Ya, I'd stay away from rentals in general. You should see clapped out 1-2 year old rentals carmax brings to us to fix up for their lot. Previous rental Impalas are going to be LS models. Get an LT or LTZ and you should be alright there.

dont buy a rental that i have gotten and you will be good lol

The 06 2LT Impala that my GF and I had was a rental. Currenty 85K on it with no issues. Lord knows the current 'owner' will haz issues cause she's a stupid bitch:lol:

And I dont know how other places are, but at my shop we get all of the local Enterprise's cars. If its broke, it gets fixed without an issue. Their oil changes are almost absolutely never late on them either.

sorry to kinda hijack, but any major issues with the 3.9 vvt equipped police editions? looking at an 08 interceptor with 99k for $6000, what did the interceptor pakage add other than the obvious (3.9, rubber floor, rear leather and front half leather) comes with the strobes still installed, push bar, and spotlight.

Edited by 96montecarloz31

sorry to kinda hijack, but any major issues with the 3.9 vvt equipped police editions? looking at an 08 interceptor with 99k for $6000, what did the interceptor pakage add other than the obvious (3.9, rubber floor, rear leather and front half leather) comes with the strobes still installed, push bar, and spotlight.

EPIC!!!

My Lumina was a rental for it's first year down in North Carolina, and it's still running strong. IMO, nothing wrong with rentals. I don't think they have them long enough for much long term damage for the most part.

Besides, I would think like BXX said they would do all the maintenance as soon as possible, because they don't want anything to go wrong when it's being rented out so that they aren't liable.

@jake91 - have you been to Canada lately, LOL!

@96montecarloz31 - no worries man....

Got a bit of bad news, so cause i don't have a stable enough job, no go on the car... so probably have to wait another year or two...... As for the rental well I'll have to see when the time comes.. now that lots of you guys have good experience I will consider it....

For the adding foglights, issues with the impala, would it be best if I search on an impala only forum.. I think the http://www.naioa.com/............

Thanks...................

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I've heard quite a few horror stories about the G6, from failing transmissions within the car's first 10,000 miles to leaking convertible tops. I'd consider one, but be very wary of them. Not the best built cars around.

What about the Buick LaCrosse? 2005-2009 were on the W-body. It's something unique...

My mom had a G6. 2007. We took it to Cedar Point last summer, and at 2am at the Michigan/Ohio border the brakes locked up. We had to get towed home. Car was only 3 years old, and had 20k on it. Of course it was a month after the warranty was up, and a month before the lease was up. So we just didn't drive it before we had to turn it in. It was a fun car to drive, but it wasn't built very well. Hell, the rear door handle broke out the first time we used it because they forgot to bolt it in at the factory!

What about a Pontiac G6? I'd rather stay with the w body though.. is the epsilon much better? ride comfort?

My mom bought an 06 new and traded it in earlier this year with 100k on it and we put a battery, plugs, front struts, a pass. control arm (ball joint was bad), and tires... Other than that it never asked anything from us... It was a great car, hers was a GT with the 3.5

Well this is not fun, I did read some minor things about that platform epilson....... so the ball joints are pressed from the factory? not like the 1st gen w body..

The Lacrosse, I sat inside it, and found the seat very firm... then the 3.8, lots of gas here in Canada hahha.... does it ride as comfy as the Impala, or W body?

Thanks.

The LaCrosse is a W-body. Personally, I'd try and find a model with either the 3.6L DOHC V6 (240 HP) or the 5.3L V8 (303 HP). And I have yet to find an uncomfortable W-body.

[video=youtube;dWe2gc8u3mw]

Hi Z34guy..... I sat in the Lacrosse, at the used gm dealership, the seat seemed a lot firmer than the Impala..... plus 3.8... gas lol.... I do a good amount of city driving....

What about this Grand prix?

http://www.royalchevrolet.com/used/Pontiac/2007-Pontiac-Grand+Prix-e1fd1c2a0a0a000200b280b1b2e75f01.htm

A few things I know the crash rating isn't up to par with the Impala, plus 3.8.... I think no remote starter... interior is okay.. how are the seats on this one?

Thanks...

I've never been a fan of that style GPs seats. But then again I'm not the smallest person in the world...but the sides kind of stuck out and pushed against my sides and it wasn't very comfortable. However I do still like the cars though... I had one as a loaner car a couple times and it was fun to drive though I will admit!

Hi Z34guy..... I sat in the Lacrosse, at the used gm dealership, the seat seemed a lot firmer than the Impala..... plus 3.8... gas lol.... I do a good amount of city driving....

What about this Grand prix?

http://www.royalchevrolet.com/used/Pontiac/2007-Pontiac-Grand+Prix-e1fd1c2a0a0a000200b280b1b2e75f01.htm

A few things I know the crash rating isn't up to par with the Impala, plus 3.8.... I think no remote starter... interior is okay.. how are the seats on this one?

Thanks...

I wouldn't worry solely about the gas mileage... Having owned a 3800 W and a 3500 W, the 3800 doesn't do any worse on gas than the 3500 in the real world (not enough to make any difference at least)...