Retained Acc Power Install into Gen 1 Write Up

gpchris

For those of you who don't know R.A.P. is the thing that keeps your radio going when you shut the car off and take out the key. This version keeps the radio on but also sends power to the windows when the doors are open and for 45 seconds after they close. Say its starting to rain and you need to roll your windows up. No problem just open the door and push the button.

The module comes in most 1995ish firebirds and camaros. It can be found tucked up under the dash by the gas pedal. It's close to the firewall I guess you could say. Its hard to explain. Just get in there good and you'll find it :thumbsup:

Heres my simplified wiring diagram. For the diode all you have to do is go to radio shack and tell them you need a 3 amp diode and they'll sell you a 2 pack for $1.50.

gpchrisrap_zps3a878dcf.png

***Wire colors may vary by year, some wires are HOT AT ALL TIMES, disconnect your battery before doing any wiring!**

Here is what a firebird/camaro RAP module looks like

IMG_6146_zpsda07c87d.jpg

First step is to remove the fuse panel. It can be drug out from under the dash.

IMG_4077_zps7ea47690.jpg

IMG_4078_zps83d43a4c.jpg

The 4 large wires you see are to the circuit breakers from my diagram.

IMG_4079_zps6a8750a6.jpg

Cut the Purple one, it is the power to the windows (hot with IGN)

IMG_4081_zpsb7bc4e69.jpg

Next you'll need to find the radio power wire. It is on the bottom row. It is the larger brown wire. Cut it leaving an equal amount of wire on both sides.

IMG_4082_zps529a6866.jpg

Next connect the PINK RAP wire to the PURPLE window wire and the BLUE RAP wire to the BROWN RADIO wire.

IMG_4083_zps9593d68c.jpg

Tape off the PURPLE wire coming out of the HARNESS

IMG_4085_zps389a08b9.jpg

Connect the BROWN RAP wire to the BROWN HARNESS wire

IMG_4087_zps25397042.jpg

Next TAP into the RED power seat wire with the RED RAP wire !WARNING it is HOT AT ALL TIMES! please disconnect your battery if you don't want to die.

IMG_4088_zpsc32567f3.jpg

IMG_4089_zpsf157534b.jpg

Now all 4 large wires are taken care of you'll need to find the door pin switch wires. They were blue in my car, they're white in older cars.

Cut both of them leaving a good amount of wiring on both sides. The switch grounds to the body so the passengers side will only have one wire. The drivers side has 2. ONLY cut the one that matches the passengers side. The other wire is for the chime module.

IMG_4092_zpseb39bc56.jpg

IMG_4091_zps712682c5.jpg

Now that you have a wire cut on each side, take the ends that lead to the pin switches, wire them both to the same diode.

Now take the ends coming out of the harness and wire them to the other side of the diode.

Now just run the small BLACK wire coming out of the RAP to a GROUND.

And that's it! I think its a pretty cool mod. Plus its FREE.. That is if you can fit the RAP module in your pocket, I did :thumb:

Edited by gpchris

Sticky! Nice write up.

Thanks, I wanted to make this an easy mod for everyone. It was a little intimidating to me at first but it really is an easy mod. It take like an hour tops.

Edited by gpchris

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I went thru 4 cars yesterday trying to find one of these and came up empty. I did some research, hoping to find it would be in some other car, but this module was only used in 1993-1995 F-bodies. After that I figure they must have integrated it into the BCM rather than having a separate module. If anyone comes across one and can take a pic of where it is installed in the F-bodies that would be helpful.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I have pulled the units before, and 95 is the exact year. For some reason pretty common at the junkyards. I was going to put them in but when I got my caddys both already have RAP.

I like RAP for the moonroof because I always have a tendancy to forget to shut it.

Very nice writeup and pics. Thank god for FAQs. W-body forum yet again FTW

I went thru 4 cars yesterday trying to find one of these and came up empty. I did some research, hoping to find it would be in some other car, but this module was only used in 1993-1995 F-bodies. After that I figure they must have integrated it into the BCM rather than having a separate module. If anyone comes across one and can take a pic of where it is installed in the F-bodies that would be helpful.

Located in a little pocket just above the gas pedal.

post-1480-143689107052_thumb.jpg

post-1480-143689107065_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

My ex's 97 Bonneville retained power to the radio and windows 5 minutes after the car was turned off or until the door was opened. Would that be the same module in this thread or something different?

My ex's 97 Bonneville retained power to the radio and windows 5 minutes after the car was turned off or until the door was opened. Would that be the same module in this thread or something different?

Way different. I want to say the 1997 Bonneville was BCM controlled.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but has anyone done this mod to a 88-94? I was trying to do this mod to my convertible but I had to stop because there was no power window circuit or power seat circuit.

With that said, I'm kinda stuck here since I wanted the windows to go up and down.

So you're saying it's going to be easier to install a BCM than the RAP box for the radio and windows? Doesn't that leave me with the same issue that the 94's don't have breakers for the window and seats? I'm a bit of a loss, although I would get to have the panic button for the Cutlass if I did add a BCM. :think:

I didn't say it was easier...Just that I am crazy enough to do it.

I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. It's been a long day. Honestly if I knew how my car was wired, I'd be crazy enough to do that as well. It would give me a temporary alarm until I can afford a Viper mile range one with remote start. You and I are on the same boat. I'm the guy that used Sebring seals on his Cutlass Convertible to fix his water problem (although with my crooked frame it still persists but not as bad where the whole car was getting wet)

So I'm going to ask this again... how did the guys with 88-94's do this mod? Or was this stickied for the late gen 1 guys?

A wire schematic of a 88-94 would help a lot.