Factory cheap alternator upgrade

xtremerevolution

As we discussed in the last thread regarding how much wattage you can run on a factory system, we noticed that our factory 105 amp alternators are not capable of producing enough power to feed a JL Audio 1000.1 amplifier, with wiring and the alternator being the two key issues.

To resolve the alternator issue, there are, fortunately, factory replacement options that we can embrace.

Fortunately for us, GM used the same mounting points for multiple alternators . The common CS130 and CS130D used in many of our cars can be replaced with the GM CS144 (or CS-144). The CS144 amplifier comes in varieties that produce from 140 amps to 200 amps, with supposedly a 250 amp model also available. These can typically be found in larger cars and SUVs.

The following link will outline the available models: http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130...uv_upgrade.htm

If anyone is considering running over 500W of amplifier power, you will certainly need to consider upgrading your alternator.

I will be doing more research in the next few days on which cars you can pull these alternators from at a junkyard for cheap. If anyone has any particular range of models off the top of your head, please list them.

Edited by digitaloutsider
Fixed formatting.

intersting...nice thread.

btw, you said "multiple amplifiers"...pretty sure you meant alternators :wink:

Thanks for catching that. Fixed!

I also heard the AD244 should fit in place of the CS130D and that it is underrated from the factory. I haven't seen any proof but...

It probably provides more current at a lower RPM, thus giving people the impression that its underrated. Who knows. I'll be going to the junkyard soon as I've realized that my 105 amp alternator and my 1000W amplifier probably aren't getting along. On that note, you should be in the same boat.

i'm always up for "factory" upgrades....

i would personally look toward anything with a cadillac badge on it from ~93 upwards. those SHOULD be CS144s, but no idea on output, may vary depending on model/options.

It probably provides more current at a lower RPM, thus giving people the impression that its underrated. Who knows. I'll be going to the junkyard soon as I've realized that my 105 amp alternator and my 1000W amplifier probably aren't getting along. On that note, you should be in the same boat.

I have a batt that's about to die, I think that's most of my problem. WHen I was running the MTX and a 2-channel I had a marine batt in the back to supplement the front batt and my voltage was rock solid unless I sat at idle full tilt for like 10 minutes.

Yes sir.

It's funny in the movie, when Danny DeVito pulls up to the restaurant in a dark teal Silhouette, a closer look shows it's a 1994 Lumina APV with Silhouette stripes and wheels.

assuming we can get a list going of CS144 equipped vehicles(and preferably their output ratings as well) that will work, the next logical step would be to determine which is the easiest vehicle to pull them from.

assuming we can get a list going of CS144 equipped vehicles(and preferably their output ratings as well) that will work, the next logical step would be to determine which is the easiest vehicle to pull them from.

Hell yes. You guys are one step ahead of me. Making it all the easier to get high output alternators without having to spend $150+ will bring us all closer to better sound systems and other means of insanity.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk

2001 Eldorado ETC (140 amp) - GM P/N 10464426

according to RA, on all 97 sevilles, 97-02 eldorados, 97-99 devilles.

1999 Aurora (140 amp) - GM P/N 10464078

RA: 95-99 Aurora

any other suspicions?

I had been looking at 97-98 U-vans as a source for alternators, as they have optionally a 140 amp cs144D and going from a 3400 onto a 3100/3.1 should be straight forward.

I had been looking at 97-98 U-vans as a source for alternators, as they have optionally a 140 amp cs144D and going from a 3400 onto a 3100/3.1 should be straight forward.
Ditto. I am planing on getting a U-van alternator when i get a UDP. The U-van alternator should have a pully size that is 1 inch bigger then our 105 amp alternators. (Or so i have been told) So if you ran both at the same time there would be no need to get a longer belt for the U-van alternator. :D

ad-244 fits following cars

Buick Regal 99-04 3.8L

Chevy Impala 00-08 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.8L, 3.9L

Chevy Lumina 00-01 3.1L

Chevy Monte Carlo 00-07 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.8L

Oldsmobile Alero 99-04 2.4L, 3.4L

Oldsmobile Cutlass 97-99 3.1L

Pontiac Bonneville 00-05 3.8L

Pontiac Grand Am 96-05 2.4L, 3.4L

Pontiac Grand Prix 99-08 3.1L, 3.8L

Pontiac Sunfire 96-02 2.4L

Edited by bodeen2007

Any idea if there were any cars that came equipped with larger than a 140A alternator? Sounds crazy, but to run a 1000W amplifier to its maximum potential, we need a minimum of 150amps on the alternator.

the most powerful factory CS144 is either 140 or 145 amps.

Is there a more powerful alternator available that would also be compatible?

ad-244 fits following cars

Pontiac Bonneville 00-05 3.8L

according to RA: 03 bonny uses a AD237 w/supercharger(125 amps) or AD230 without(105 amps)

Taylor did it.