I'm dieing, can someone help me get my window to go down? 91 Cutty Sedan

CSI_MuNkY

Getting AC fixed is quickly moving up my to do list...

But in the meantime, preferably before I drive 6-7 hours to Dayton this weekend, it would be real nice to get my drivers side front window to go down

I am hoping it is just the switch...

Can anyone tell me what wire to jump to test and see if the motor is working?

FWIW, the window is stuck in the up position...

post-2357-143689069668_thumb.jpg

The reason I think it is just a switch is because all the other switches on the panel are finicky, sometimes the windows will freeze where they are but if I open and close my door once or twice, I have control back. The locks do the same thing.

Thanks

pin A(dark blue) and E(brown) are for the driver's front window motor.

it looks like powering the A wire causes to motor to push the glass upwards, so i would THINK giving the E pin about 12 volts or so would force the window down.... i'd wait for someone else to chime in though.

EDIT: +12V to E and ground A to make the window go down, reverse to make go back up.

the motor is grounded through the switch panel and reversing polarity should reverse direction. so you'll either need to have the connector plugged in and just apply the +12V where necessary or you'll need 2 jumpers.

Edited by RobertISaar

Great! Sounds easy enough... Now where can I take power from to do this?

I just jumped the wired on my power antenna to discover the relay was the problem back there, hopefully I can be that luck here too!

*edit* got the 12v source figured out... All it did was make sparks, no window movement

Edited by CSI_MuNkY

depends how long your jumper wires are.... ideally, i'd grab it from any of the constant hot wires you know of (light socket is one) as long as the fuse is rated high enough.

or go straight to the aux battery positive terminal if you have a long enough wire. guaranteed power.

Jamie,

It's usually the damn auto down feature.

Sorry that I got to this potentially too late.

But, your window switch kinda holds with some retarded clip and what happens (in my experience) is that you press it down all of the way and instead of stopping (common sense) it continues to try and work it's way down because the switch is stuck on. Then you press up to go back up and nothing. Then in desperation you try again 2 minutes later and it goes up. But then eventually it never wants to go up again. Break the thing that makes it go down with one touch when you do the rest of the repairs and you won't have to deal with this non-sense any more.

Funny you say that Rich because the auto down was sticking before it stopped working all together. Now when jumping the wires there is no reaction from the motor at all