sport ratio rack tgp in cutlass vert

johnny404

according to my research i can put a 2.25 turn lock-to-lock rack and pinion in my cutlass convertable,the same one that the turbo gr prix uses

anybody done this and how did it go?

Bolt in replacement. I hear that finding the correct 2.25 rack can be tricky though. Autozone shows listings for a "sport" rack, I believe that's what another member said.

Rockauto also lists a 2.25 turn sport rack, ATSCO #64139 for $128.79 plus a $79 core.

Does your car have EVO steering? I think the RPO is NV7. If so the TGP rack won't have it. It is possible to get 2.25 EVO gear as they came in later w-bodies (my GTP has one with a blown up pinion bearing), but they are only available AC-Delco and cost like $500.

In his vert wouldn't the EVO solenoid be on the pump not the rack? I thought only the later models had the solenoid on the rack.

Yeah, its on the pump and the later Magnasteer systems were on the rack, but I know for a fact the part numbers are different for an EVO vs regular steering rack. Thinking about it, I guess I may be wrong in saying that the TGP rack won't work. I suppose it very well could work. It won't be right, but it may work nonetheless.