Sanity check, rear disc piston retraction

Galaxie500XL

Just a quick check, just to make sure. To retract the rear disc pistons on my '95 Cutlass, remove the parking brake lever, then turn while pressing in...counterclockwise on driver side, clockwise on passenger side, right?

Just a quick check, just to make sure. To retract the rear disc pistons on my '95 Cutlass, remove the parking brake lever, then turn while pressing in...counterclockwise on driver side, clockwise on passenger side, right?

I think its clockwise on both. Don't quote me, but that's how I always remember doing it.

That's why I was asking...found several different answers when searching the site.

Thanks!

hmm...... i remember it being clockwise for both sides as well.

if you go the wrong way, it shouldn't cause problems though, you'll just have to work more to get it where you want it.

I just did a brake job on my 93 GP. It was clockwise on the passenger side, and I thought I had remembered it being clockwise on the driver side as well. Nope, it didn't budge. Tried doing counter-clockwise on the driver side and it went in just fine.

Hence the irony of asking the question.

I find it interesting that even my factory service manual neglects to mention WHICH DIRECTION to turn the piston.

Epic fail.:dunce:

93 is the older style rear calipers, they may be different.

I find it interesting that even my factory service manual neglects to mention WHICH DIRECTION to turn the piston.

Epic fail.:dunce:

I want to stress that the calipers may be different from early to later model years.

That said, when working on the rear brakes of my '92 and '93 Luminas, I find it much easier to NOT TURN THE PISTONS. Just DON'T.

I remove the park brake lever from the back of the caliper--one nut, one washer, lever pops right off--then PUSH THE PISTON STRAIGHT IN, let the friggin' screw turn instead of the piston.

It's much easier for the screw to turn on it's small sealing o-rings than to spin the bigass piston on it's huge sealing rings.

Later calipers MAY be different. Sorry I can't give specifics. I would EXPECT that the piston screws in based on which direction the park brake lever turns the adjusting screw.

Thanks, everyone, for the information. I'll be headed outside, assuming the rain stops, and doing the brakes in a little while. I'll let you all know what I find out!

'95 Cutlass Driver side rear caliper piston turns CLOCKWISE to retract.

The worthless square tool didn't help, it was about the size of the opening in the caliper.

14" double-jointed straight needle nose pliers work great.

The rotor on the driver's side is toast. Cannot get it to release from the hub. Any suggestions? I'm soaking the lugs and center of the hub in PB Blaster now. It started raining (of course), so I'm in a holding pattern.

X2 that...I hit it with PB Blaster, waited for the rain to slow down (I don't have a garage), after soaking in PB for 15 minutes, it came right out after about 10 good hits.

Found the pulsation I've had on brake apply. That rotor was ugly. Found inexpensive (chinese) replacements at NAPA for $22.99. That cheap, I"m replacing the pair.

Thanks!

Robert;

Yes, for rears. I hadn't counted on needing any, and needed them right away. Got to fly to Texas Wednesday, and the Cutlass is the car I leave at the airport.

BTW, BOTH calipers turned CLOCKWISE to retract. Removed the emergency brake lever, and they turned right in.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Yeah, removing the ebrake cable isnt gonna change anything.

And the only rear calipers that dont retract clockwise are ones found on the passenger side on newer Fords, i.e. 500, Freestyle and a few of the like. They have to go counterclockwise.

I have this exact kit, I love it:thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunex-3930-Complete-Brake-Repair-Caliper-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483b536099QQitemZ310232965273QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

Yeah, removing the ebrake cable isnt gonna change anything.

And the only rear calipers that dont retract clockwise are ones found on the passenger side on newer Fords, i.e. 500, Freestyle and a few of the like. They have to go counterclockwise.

I have this exact kit, I love it:thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunex-3930-Complete-Brake-Repair-Caliper-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483b536099QQitemZ310232965273QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

you can rent that kit from Autozone for $15 :thumbsup:

you can rent that kit from Autozone for $15 :thumbsup:

No you cant. The OEM branded elcheapo kit from Autozone has less adapters, is cheaper quality and doesnt have the reverse thread tool for the Fords.

Im sure the AZ special will work for most people here, but im a auto tech, which means I need a more complete kit to be able to deal with any car.

I had removed the e-brake lever, because the factory service manual had said to. It didn't say to remove the cable, but I did, and it did make the job a bit easier, since I removed the caliper support, and replaced the rotors...I just rotated the caliper upside down on top of the hub, and did my work using the strut as a backstop.

...But that little square "tool" for turning the caliper piston was garbage.

FWIW, I have not had luck with those cheap rotors and willingly now pay a LOT more for top end rotors and they last longer, don't warp. Just my experience, YMMV. When I tried them on my on my GM minivan that was really hard on brakes being so heavy they would wear the same rate as the pads -