How can i get more horsepower out of my 3800 series III?

dylan1630

I want to gain some horsepower, but i don't have a lot of money to spend. I don't have a supercharger. what are some things i can do to gain horsepower? I don't really know where to start. I have a cold air intake already.

I found this kit which isn't very expensive, would this gain me horsepower? Which spark plugs would be the best that it comes with?

http://intense-racing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IR&Product_Code=INT-MPKG&Category_Code=3800_PP

Is there anything better that i could do? It doesn't have to be a kit i just happened to come across this and was wondering if it's a good idea

A top swap shouldn't be that expensive when it all comes down to it. Way cheaper than a turbo kit. Although since you have a Series III I would do a Gen V supercharger instead of a Gen III. You don't have to, because the Gen V's go for a lot more money than the 3's...it just makes sense to me since the Gen V was also on a Series III 3800.

That "kit" from Intense seems not worth it, unless you're looking to do just a tune up. It wouldn't get much HP. Maybe 2ish with the colder plugs. You could buy all that stuff from a normal auto parts store

NEVER go with Intense Racing. I just priced out all of those parts on ZZP for $109 (vs Intense's $125). Plus, the link you gave isn't even for better performance, it's for STOCK performance.

Like already mentioned, either do a top swap or go turbo. A top swap, you just need an L67 or L32 from a junkyard. A turbo can be easily purchased from ZZP.

Get one of those fans that you put behind the air filter that speeds up air flow, and then hook up one of those performance chips. Between both of those, you should get an extra 100hp! Don't forget the K&N decal, that's 5hp alone!

I was just going to say..... 2.5'' DP, Plog, PCM, HV3, ER rockers....I'd say HV TB too...but since you're an L26 you don't need that since it's got a bigger TB already than the L36's do.

And as for plugs....NGK TR55's with stock replacement AC Delco wires will do you just fine.

That being said....all the above listed will wake that car right up...and you'll most likely be able to walk a bone stock L67/L32 powered car through 1st and 2nd gear no problem. The 2.5'' downpipe alone gives you a noticable gain. I hve one on my 03 GT and it woke it right up.

Edited by 9lumina6

Thanks for the help everyone! lots of good suggestions. i'd love to put an exhaust on since i know that can add a good amount of hp and make it sound awesome! I'm gonna have to look into some of the other stuff. I have been wanting to do my pcm for a while but don't you have to use premium gas if you do that?

You have the L26, Series III Non Supercharged 3800

L32 is the Series III Supercharged 3800

L67 is the Series II Supercharged 3800

L36 is the Series II Non supercharged 3800

i'd love to put an exhaust on since i know that can add a good amount of hp and make it sound awesome!
Dont waste your time and money with a cat-back exhaust! You will NOT gain much power, and the 3800 generally sounds like ass with one anyway. The downpipe 1st then PLOG are all you should worry about.

I have been wanting to do my pcm for a while but don't you have to use premium gas if you do that?
Yes, but the improved characteristics are worth the extra $3 per fill up.