Waste Gate Suggestions

GTP091

i'm in the process of gathering parts for a turbo system for my 91 DOHC GTP . My next purchase will be the waste gate. what size would be good for this setup? 50mm 40mm 35mm?? i imagine that the larger diameter allows better response from the turbo system but is to large a back pressure problem with the drop that would happen when the waste gate opens?? I can't seem to find much discussion about this. any insight is appreciated>.

I will be using a T04E .85/3 turbine 60 trim in a twin scroll (maybe a B but not likely)- HKS blowoff valve - intercooler - catch can - and FMU.

thanks,

large wastegates = better for controlling boost at lower levels. and the opposite is true for smaller WGs.

how much pressure are you looking to run?

8 PSI is as far as most will take a FMU. It seems they get less accurate after 6-7 PSI. Anything beyond 8 and I'd lose the FMU and go with raw tuning. OBD1 says I will be on the FMU for awhile though... There are a couple guys that ran FMU's up to 8 with no issues; they're on 60degreeV6

A1 was originally only used on the 91-94 3.1 cars(without 4T60E), but i've been adding in stuff to make it a bit more flexible to deal with anything from metro 1.0 and iron dukes to northstars. making a LQ1 run on A1 is cake, i just need to write the algorithm to deal with boost yet.

• 2 weeks later...