Shortstar Olds Intrigue

Dirkdaddy

Hello

I am a long time GM guy but have owned other brands. Currently have a '00 Olds Intrigue GLS I got used after owning a '00 Maxima SE 5 speed we bought new for a few years. Owning the maxima made you appreciate the Olds believe it or not.

The 3.5 "short star" engine (was derived from specs of Northstar) is a gem! Too bad GM quit making them (said it was too costly to produce, that after just spending $ developing it - typical GM). Its been rock solid, revs freely. I have not done anything but change oil and it now has 155k on it.

I'm avid DIY mechanic and am just am in process of replacing my lateral links in the rear end which the adjustable one BENT! It had a bit of rust on it, but nothing scary I thought. Bought a new rear end a salvage and replacing everything. Looked to see if that was a common problem and only saw the aftermarket trailing arms not the lateral links.

Yep, very solid engine.

Last I knew though, nobody had the engine code for it so you could do aftermarket tuning, but maybe that has changed. Too bad though, had a lot of potential.

• 3 months later...

IDK about trailing arms, but the long what I call "lateral links" or lower control arms on my W body one of them bent rather rudely at a sharp angle, they are made from quite thin material. My issue with the trailing arms was the rust on the forward mounts, it was horrible and unsafe. Since I live in TX now, I was able to find very fresh looking replacements at salvage and install. :thumbsup:

I don't have many pics (if any?) of the W body, but I'll get one. Wife has car at this moment.

I've hardly had to touch the engine, its very nice!! 160k so far, mobil 1 10-30. Valve cover gasket was leaking so I put a new set on, I felt guilty so I changed spark plugs at 140k, but engine has been great, fires up at a touch of the key and purrs. I'm sure I'm due for some sort of failure....

Have replaced rear brake lines (rust), engine mounts, struts, brakes, PS line patches from rust, a/c condenser, but have avoided the ignition switch issues and climate control failures so far. Wife was skeptical when I sold the Maxima and bought this car, but she loves it now.

DD