'91 Cutlass Ciera transmission into '91 Cutlass Supreme?

ancorder

Forgive me, but the search function hasn't been so helpful.

I have a 1991 Cutlass Supreme, 3.1L, 4T60 transmission. 140k miles on the car. It's been having trouble downshifting into first at stops; sometimes it will not engage into first and just be in neutral unless you shift out and then back into drive. Also doesn't have the smoothest shifts in general.

I have a family member who passed away last year, and her car was a 1991 Cutlass Ciera with a 3.3L engine. The car was running fine but was out of commission for other reasons (long story; nothing mechanical). It's available to me if I want any parts of it, so I'm wondering if I can take the transmission out of it and if it will mount right up to my 3.1. I have plenty of tools and access to a lift in a shop, but I'm no electrical genius and this car has largely been a PITA to work on its whole life. So if it's going to be a month-long headache I probably won't do it.

Does anyone know specifically what transmission is in a 1991 Cutlass Ciera with the 3.3? The car is located about five hours away from me so I can't just go look at it, and the family wants to have the wrecker take it away.

Any help would be appreciated very much. And if there's anything else that might swap right over to my car (A/C compressor, interior pieces, etc.), that would be great to know. Thanks!

Another member just had this problem a few months ago... she ended up having the trans rebuilt. I'm not so sure the 3.3 trans will bolt up because thats basically a 3800, which is a 90* motor, your car is a 3.1 which is a 60* motor.

Edited by ScoobyDoo82

all 60V6 and 90V6 motors use the same bellhousing pattern, so that won't be an issue.

the fact that it's an A body, going into a W is the more serious issue.

How serious of an issue are we talking? Gear ratios and shift points that will make it somewhat annoying and/or underpowered? Or "don't drive it because it'll snap in half"?

I guess the question is, what are the likely abnormalities that will result?

the only serious issue i can forsee, are the mounts, i don't know a lot about the A-body line and what similarities it has to the W-body mounts.

the final drive or sprocket/chain drive stuff can be swapped from the W trans and have proper final drive ratio. the A-body 4T60 should have a 2.97 or 3.06 FDR, compared to the W-body 3.33.

Shift shaft is 7mm longer than previous years.

1991 Ciera transmission will fit, if equipped with the bosses & holes needed to mount the upper bracket, by transferring valve body wiring, switches & electrical connector.

According to Hollander Interchange, these are the vehicles with a trans that will directly bolt-in:

CUTLASS 89 A.T.; (TH440), 6-191 (3.1L)

CUTLASS 90 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

CUTLASS 91 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

CUTLASS 92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

GRAND PRIX 89-90 A.T.; 6-191 (3.1L)

GRAND PRIX 91 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

GRAND PRIX 92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

LUMINA CAR 90 A.T.; TH440 (4T60)

LUMINA CAR 91-92 A.T.; TH440 (4T60, 3.1L)

REGAL 89-91 A.T.; 6-191 (3.1L)

REGAL 92 A.T.

MANUAL 5 speed:

CUTLASS 91-92 M.T.

GRAND PRIX 91-93 M.T.

LUMINA CAR 91-93 M.T.

I know there are others, anyone can feel free to add on.

my car was doing that, i ended up biting the bullet and doing the rebuild, but if you have another trans that works do that.

I assume it fixed the problems? How much did the rebuild cost you?

Shift shaft is 7mm longer than previous years.

I'm not sure what this means, exactly. The shift shaft on the Ciera is longer, or the one on the Cutlass is longer? What kind of problem does that pose? Thanks for your help!

all 60V6 and 90V6 motors use the same bellhousing pattern, so that won't be an issue.

the fact that it's an A body, going into a W is the more serious issue.

Hmm, didnt know that... but hey you learn something new every day.