• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white4d96

• RobertISaar

• Jonpro03

• BXX

Yeah, the other engine mount bracket just needs simple grinding on it.

A basic 3500 swap can be done for well under $1000. And its pretty much bolt in. For the PCM, I can send ya a 97 Lumina PCM ready to do with 3500 tune on it.

And there is nothing intensive aboot a 3500 swap. The crank trigger kit bolts right on, and your 3100 harmonic balancer gets slapped on along with the second crank sensor. Only other minor hurdle is the coolant temp sensor, but I heard there are adapter fittings out there for like $20.

You would be stupid IMHO to dump $1200 into a 3100 and be left with 155-160hp. Stock LX9 is ~200hp.

I would agree, but that $1200 in a 3100 would get me essentially a brand-new engine, whereas that money in an LX9 gives me another used one. That's my big hurdle here.

Although if the lx9 has low enough mileage I guess I could just run it for now and do the valvetrain later, idk.

I would agree, but that $1200 in a 3100 would get me essentially a brand-new engine, whereas that money in an LX9 gives me another used one.

There's a 3500 local that's $150.

Maybe you missed that part :think:

Thats $150 for a 3500 and $1050 to rebuild it for a brand new 3500!

Or the fact the LX9 will give you 200,000 miles of worry free performance.

I dont think you understand that the 3500 really is an all-out better engine. More efficient, more powerful, smoother, internally is much stronger (even with the 3100 have stout internals).

Why rebuild the 3100. $1200 later and you still basically have a new used engine. $1200 rebuild wont get you all new valvetrain. 3x00 lifters are around $15-$25 each. And the cost of valves, machining the heads and installing new valve seats. Youll be around $2K before you end up with a rebuild 'new' 3100.

I fail to understand how this is pointless? :think:

How was I supposed to know that Jxx had another lx9 he would sell me? Everywhere I've looked locally wanted like $700 for a junkyard lx9.

Not to mention I have this motor laying around and wanted to do something with it.

Honestly power doesn't matter all that much to me. I have a weak tranny anyways so why would I want to put 200whp through it? I just figured if I have parts that need replacing why not replace them with a better part that doesn't cost all that much more?

Not to mention a 3100 bolts and plugs right in, whereas you have to swap out this and that and get a crank trigger and a CTS adapter and grind this cut that for the 3500. PLUS a tune, which I don't even know for sure if I can pass emissions after doing!

I changed to the point of being OPEN to doing a 3500 swap and you go on calling me an idiot for even thinking of building the 3100. Thanks.

Know what...eff it.

I've gone on and on for months about how I wanted to LX9 my car if I could find out a way to do it. Now there is a way, and look at me.

Jon, Bxx, you will have PM's forthcoming. My apologies for the douchebaggery. Bad day at work+little sleep=shit mood.

Bxx, I may take you up on that offer in the coming months.

Hell, if I have the cash come Dayton time, I may make a detour on the way there to grab it.

Well hell, a quick search on http://www.car-part.com turned up a 04 LX9 with 87K on the clock for $185 at Advantage Auto Parts in Milwaukee. LKQ in Hustisford has a shitload with varying mileage for $350. IIRC LKQ gives a 1 year warrenty on their engines as well. They dont sell junk.

I searched all of Wisconsin and then sorted by price on car-part.com

Seriously debating nabbing this 3500 from Milwaukee.

Just OOC do they have the same lifter noise issue as the 3100's? If so, how much would it cost for me to put in new ones?

Valve springs too, even if I don't need lifters. I have a compressor.

100K LX9 is still safe at 6000rpm.

TO change them, you would have to pull the heads, take them to a shop to be installed because they need to check spring pressures and shim accordingly or replace the new ones that dont meet spec with other new ones. You would have an asston of money into that for no real reason.

Alright, I suppose if they start going weak I could take care of it then, just figured while I was doing gaskets and shit I would take care of that.

Sorry, I know I'm being noobish, but I just put the 3100 that's in here like 2 and a half years ago (30k) and I kinda wanna get more than that outta this one.

Whatever you do on the LX9, dont pull off the LIM! That gasket alone is $100 and they dont really ever fail:thumbsup:

Youll have to pull the UIM to install your fuel rails, get injectors from a L36 (SII 3800, I have a set if you need them) and then you will need to finagle the fuel pressure regulator so it fits, or just run a largeport 3100/3400 UIM (which a lot of guys do)

Also, you will need largeport exhaust manifolds and matching downpipe. Your stock manifolds are tiny and will sufficate the LX9. You cant use the Malibu manifolds, they route much differently.

You will need to swap over your existing balancer and crank sensor. You may have to swap timing covers, not hard with the engine out. Your accessories will need to be swapped over. You will need the TCE crank trigger kit to mount your 7x crank sensor.

You will need a throttle body adapter, or larger TB. Cheapest and easiest is to use a stock 3400 TB, swap over your linkage, and slap that on the 3100/3400 LP UIM. Actually using the 3100/3400 LP UIM kills 2 birds with one stone as you wont have to mess with the fuel pressure regulator or TB.

The passenger side engine mount bracket needs minor grinding. Venom found out what to do and showed me, and it looks like a cake walk.

You will need to swap over your knock sensor, oil pressure sending unit, and then get an adapter to mount your existing coolant temp sensor on the rear head as thats where the LX9 one is at.

Cam sensor, im not 100% sure, but either you need to swap yours over, or just do basic splicing onto the LX9 one. I never dug into it more cause I would know what exactly to do when I get there. Once again, not hard.

If you see a pattern, if you can install a stock 3100, with very little more work and time, you can put in a LX9.

Right now thats all I can think of, there may be more.

Whatever you do on the LX9, dont pull off the LIM! That gasket alone is $100 and they dont really ever fail:thumbsup:

THIS! I learned the hard way...

Youll have to pull the UIM to install your fuel rails, get injectors from a L36 (SII 3800, I have a set if you need them) and then you will need to finagle the fuel pressure regulator so it fits, or just run a largeport 3100/3400 UIM (which a lot of guys do)

Large port 31/400 is the only way to go right now. There are no TB adapters currently available for 3500 UIMs.

Also, you will need largeport exhaust manifolds and matching downpipe. Your stock manifolds are tiny and will sufficate the LX9. You cant use the Malibu manifolds, they route much differently.

The easiest way to 3500 swap a GP is to use the 3100 rear manifold (for the correct downpipe location) and a 3400 front manifold and crossover.

You will need to swap over your knock sensor, oil pressure sending unit, and then get an adapter to mount your existing coolant temp sensor on the rear head as thats where the LX9 one is at.

I just wired in the 3500 coolant temp sensor and did without a temp sensor on the dash.

Cam sensor, im not 100% sure, but either you need to swap yours over, or just do basic splicing onto the LX9 one. I never dug into it more cause I would know what exactly to do when I get there. Once again, not hard.

:think:

Jon, Milzy has an adapter plate for the 3500 UIM. Not that I was planning on running that damn thing anyhow :lol:

I plan to use a large port UIM (preferably the 3100 one if I can ever find one) 3400 TB, 3400 front mani and xover, can I use a 2G 3100 rear one or should I just port one of mine?

Anyone have a link for the CTS adapter? I do NOT want to lose temp on the dash.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Fuel pump? Rails?

Edited by white4d96