95 cutlass vert

95pghvert

Power stearing pump is going making a horrid sound...Today the fluid sprayed on the engine, Briefly caught my engine on fire, Thank god i have a fire ext in my trunk, now i need to replace some wires, emmisions tubes, plug wires, That stuff is easy but i need to replace the power stearing pump any helpful hints? photos to help along...its a 3.4L DOHC thanks guys

'95 LQ1 will require an NV7 pump. You'll notice that there's a solenoid on the top of your power steering pump not present on standard 3.1 pumps of that year.

I don't honestly know if you can simply leave that off, and use a standard pump. Last I checked, the NV7 could be rebuilt, but every place I found required sending your pump in, and they'd rebuild yours...in 4-6 weeks.

I have replaced mine about 3 times now and every time I replace it it will not fix this annoying whining sound I have. There is no WINNING.

Anyway they are very easy to replace. Take off the serpentine belt and there are just a couple of bolts that hold it in. 10mm IIRC.

I know the 95 pumps are different from the 94s. So I am not exactly sure on how to do yours specifically.

When you get your new pump. I would fill it up first and turn it by hand a couple of times to get the fluid to flow. Then just do the opposite of what you did to take it out.

Really that easy? wow lol...I think its the pump from the god awful sound and the fact its hard to turn the wheel, Oh yeah and the leaking fluid that caught fire on the hot engine LOL going to get a chiltons book to confirm it...Once i do it i will post how long n such it took, ( nothing is ever easy for me so im sure it will be an experience) it def beats paying 100s of bucks tho to someone else to do it

• 2 weeks later...

so i got the pump off pretty easy...but the lines are like impossible to get off...the return line which im not even sure to replace...but the pressure line looks terrible to get to i cant get my fat fingers to it! any info or tips how to get to it...thanks