93LuminaNotEuro0510

Hey guys, so I have this coolant leak coming from the front of my engine (passenger side) and I can't quite figure out what's causing it... my brother, who is a mechanic, says that it's either a bad water pump or a bad intake manifold gasket... it's kinda hard to see anything very clearly because there's a lot of stuff in the way, but it always seems kinda wet down by where the intake manifold meets the block (behind the power steering fluid reservoir), but the coolant always seems to find it's way onto the belt pulleys and it sprays all over the place making everything wet, so it's kinda hard to tell... it's not a super bad leak but it is significant enough to cause concern. This is on my '93 Lumina with the 3.1L engine. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is and how much it might cost to have it fixed? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Can you see any water in the oil? Is it a milky whitish color in the oil? If that's the case you've got a cracked head gasket... Been there done that. Cost me $500, but I had it done at a shop. Not sure how hard it is to do yourself though.... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it isn't that!

Water in the oil is actually the first thing I checked when this happened and I'm happy to say that my oil is water-free. lol I'm not 100% car knowledgeable... but is it possible that maybe the bolts on that side of the manifold have loosened slightly over time? I know one time my tranny fluid pan bolts were REALLY loose (you could turn them with your hands with hardly any effort!) and tightening those a little stopped my tranny fluid leak...

More than likely the water pump. Also make sure that the coolant line that runs along the side of the engine bay isn't damaged, but usually that catastrophically fails, not just weeps.

Well if it makes you feel any better I'm actually in the same predicament. But I can't find the leak ANYWHERE...no drips on the ground even. I'm just waiting for it to get worse, that's really all you can do if you can't find it, but just keep an eye on it is what I would suggest.

x2 on most posts here.

Sounds exactly the same as my car losing the water pump. IF it is your water pump, they are super easy on the 3.1 so don't be scared to do it yourself. It's also one of those parts that are so cheap and easy it's worth just trying that first. :thumbsup:

Well if it makes you feel any better I'm actually in the same predicament. But I can't find the leak ANYWHERE...no drips on the ground even. I'm just waiting for it to get worse, that's really all you can do if you can't find it, but just keep an eye on it is what I would suggest.

Sounds like the classic symptoms of a LIM gasket, no?

To the OP, If the top of the water pump is wet at all, I would check the gasket on top of the water pump that goes into a black tube with a 2 bolt flange connection. Those are pretty common to leak I think its called the thermostat housing gasket even though the thermostat on the 3.1 is all the way across the engine.

Also, nice wheels! I used to have those hubcaps

• 1 month later...

Sorry that it's been so long since I've posted anything... ummm, so replacing the Intake Manifold Gaskets did actually fix the problem... for about a week. lol NOW the water pump is going bad... is 40K miles on a Water pump too much? 'Cause that's how many miles are on it right now... the original one before this current one was put on it had 60K on it... (the original owner of my car had written all the maintenance records down in the owner's manual... from 1994 to 2008.:thumbsup:). But anyways, regardless if 40K is too much or not, it's leaking and needs replacing. lol Already have the new one and now I'm waiting for the weather to warm up enough to change it. lol And I'm so glad that it's right up top and easy to get to!

When it comes to cheap parts store stuff, most of it is made in China so 40k isn't unusual. Fortunately, 3.1L water pumps are dirt cheap and easy to replace.

I think the record I hold for a pump going bad after an install was 2500 miles. It was on the Century. It wasn't leaking, but it was making a sound EXACTLY like a severe rod knock.

I spent the extra money, and got a good pump.

IIRC, there are pumps with impeller fins that look like stamped sheet metal, stay away from them, you'll want the ones with cast impellers.

Yay! I replaced the pump and now there's no more leaks! First time I've been free of coolant leaks for a couple months. lol Thanks guys for your help and advice... and yes the impellers do look like they're actually cast on the one I got.