Tire plug / patch close to the sidewall.

GOT2B GM

How close is too close?

Got a flat in my truck. Figured there are a few guys on here that work in tire shops that can enlighten me.

Thanks

IMG00032-20110220-1337.jpg

That can easily be patched or plugged, the limit is if the patch would touch the sidewall then it cant be patched, but it can be plugged... If the screw was over to the point where the tread doesnt touch the road, or to the point where the tread starts going down towards the sidewall (hope that makes sense)... Then it wouldnt be repairable

Actually, that tire is now scrap bud:(

That patch/plug repair unit will end up on the shoulder where it curves up to the sidewall.

And a plug isnt an approved repair at all. Thats just the cheap hillbilly temporary repair to get you where you need to go to get a new tire or it properly repaired.

Sucks, that Winterforce looks like it has plenty of tread left. On the upside, the Winterforces arent too expensive to replace.

Actually, that tire is now scrap budicon_frown.gif

That patch/plug repair unit will end up on the shoulder where it curves up to the sidewall.

And a plug isnt an approved repair at all. Thats just the cheap hillbilly temporary repair to get you where you need to go to get a new tire or it properly repaired.

Depends on the stiffness of the sidewall, neh? I've run tires on a patch. You probably shouldn't go off-roading on it, and it should be replaced eventually... But I'm not sad about the year of extra life that I got out of that tire.

I've seen plugs last just fine. That looks plenty in the tread for at least a plug. And as far as I've known, a patch is a acceptable permanent repair. I've had a number done with years of trouble-free driving. Worst case scenario is the tire goes flat on you again.

I would say you're good to plug it. Depending on the shop you take it to they may have a patch plug small enough to do that. I worked at Sears Tire for several years and we had the combo plugs with patch ends no bigger than a nickle or quarter. The stem was small enough to fill the hole after drilling it out or just pulling it through. Either way, looks ok.

it's a torx, but the screw back out, coat with rtv, screw it in and drive?

they do make small area pull though patches, which would be the best for this situation, but you could use a do it yourself patch and see where that gets you. technically no one want to use those anymore for liability reasons, but as long as you do a decent job i would and have done the same.

They are trying to upsell if they say thats a new tire... The tire shop and the dealership I am at now would repair that with no issues... However we had a crown vic come in with an 18 inch tree branch sticking out of the side of the tire, we were not able to repair that one

Wait, a tire shop with an interest in selling tires would have tried to sell him a new tire? I can't imagine why! :-P And funny, when I have hazard warrenty on my tires, they just want to fix it instead of replacing... You think money has anything to do with it? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Your funny. I plugged a tire myself, and it's been in there for 2 years now!! No leak at all. Plus what is the worst thing that can happen? It leaks. A tire isn't just going to BLOW UP on the highway due to a patch or plug that failed. You will just have another leak. It's worth a $6 try before having to buy a new tire.

Actually, that tire is now scrap bud:(

Sucks, that Winterforce looks like it has plenty of tread left. On the upside, the Winterforces arent too expensive to replace.

No problem with plugs.. We've done that before and it'll last as long as the tread. Never had an issue. I've got a plug on the Lumina right now...