DOHC rear plugs, easy solution

Psych0matt

Happy to announce that it was my EGR valve, And a few sensors, Nothing major, My cutlass is back to running normal, Well as normal as a 3.4L can get ( im still not used to this engine, i am more fond of the 3800 series2 that was in both of the lumina LTZs i owned).....Are there any meetings planned anytime soon it would be nice to meet up with other gearheads, Even if you dont gota cutty convertible

Check out the events section... On the 21st there is a mod weekend in Lorain OH, thats about 2 hours for you I think... And June 10th is Wbody Nationals in Dayton and if theres any event that you need to come to, its that one

• 6 years later...

Since the above photos are photo bucket aka gone here is how I did it today one long extension one short with a swivel plug socket. Pull the wires off I just helped guide them with my end came right up except the middle one. Then pit my extension and swivel socket in without the ratchet then put on the ratchet. Got them loose. Removed the ratchet again turned them out by hand and reverse for re installation I use my hand to guide the wires back in. Super easy took about 10 minutes to change all the plugs.

post-10790-0-46407600-1505339498_thumb.jpg

I eventually cut holes in the fire wall. The weather stripping hides that damage.

I couldn't cut the car to change some plugs lol and I dint see a need to it was easy to change them with the swivel

3800 Spark plug change tutorial:

1) get out your plug wrench and 3" extension

2) Change the plugs

3) Try not to spill your beer

Why didn't you make a thread of it's own for it?

Anyways, I'd like to see you do this on a 3800 Camaro with headers... 😀😀

• Like 3

I couldn't cut the car to change some plugs lol and I dint see a need to it was easy to change them with the swivel

Cutting a hole was maybe the wrong term to use, you just bend/notch the lip underneath the weatherstripping to allow the extension to clear it.

• Like 2

After its cut, dropping an extension straight down is pretty nice.

well right, i understand the concept, but I just never had an issue with it to feel the need to do it.

• Like 2

'92--'93 Lumina Euro 3.4.  I drop this combination down the plug holes after removing the weatherstrip by the firewall.  DIdn't grind clearance into the metal lip, just removed the rubber long enough to change plugs.

Lumina_Spark_Plug_Tool.jpg

I used to rock the engine.  No more.  No need.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Son in law runs auto shop. Told me job pays 3 hours to do plugs. “No way” to get to back plugs without pulling intake. I had never done it but invite him over to show him. Popped dogbone off, parked car on slope at end of driveway. Had to pull cowl brace off to get room to pull wires off. (95 DOHC vert).Long extension and all 3 plugs out in no time. I use a piece of fuel line with the new plug jammed in it to install new plugs. This assured I didn’t cross thread new plugs. Seated plug then tightened plug with ratchet. Gonna invite him back when I do the timing belt without a bunch of special tools.😀 

• Like 3

On 1/31/2020 at 6:50 AM, 57lxi said:

Son in law runs auto shop. Told me job pays 3 hours to do plugs. “No way” to get to back plugs without pulling intake. I had never done it but invite him over to show him. Popped dogbone off, parked car on slope at end of driveway. Had to pull cowl brace off to get room to pull wires off. (95 DOHC vert).Long extension and all 3 plugs out in no time. I use a piece of fuel line with the new plug jammed in it to install new plugs. This assured I didn’t cross thread new plugs. Seated plug then tightened plug with ratchet. Gonna invite him back when I do the timing belt without a bunch of special tools.😀 

Nice. This is one of those myths that gave this engine a bad reputation that wasn't deserved. 

Edited by MemphisMan
  • Like 1