Best way to strip down a bumper cover?

Psych0matt

Wrong. Its very similar to aircraft stripper except formulated for plastic. if youve ever used either.. you know they are the farthest thing from cheesy.

and dammit woll smoth.. beat me to it.

anyhow op, this works. give it a shot

Might work, in a pinch, for the do-it-yourselfer, but go into any reputable body shop and see if they use it.

Might work, in a pinch, for the do-it-yourselfer, but go into any reputable body shop and see if they use it.

I worked in a reputable bodyshop (one of the top 5 in iowa, actually) and yes, we did. Youve never used it, knock it off, the stuff WORKS. It doesnt much matter if you "think" its cheesy.

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15811&p=117867&hilit=sem#p117867

Here is some more on the stuff..

from a board mod on there..

"

Well, you're right you can do some real damage with most chemical strippers and da or ro sanders can cause a lot of damage mostly because of the operator not keeping the sander angled properly. I've been researching this myself lately and here's a product that I found... http://www.handsontools.com/SEM-39913-B ... 0374.html#

Now, I haven't tried this stuff yet but I have used many, many other SEM products and have always found them to live up to their claims. My local mobile bumper restorer guy uses only that SEM stripper when he has to, so what the heck, you should find it at a local jobber in the $12 to $15 range. I think it's worth a try. "

(also- To those that would ask, yes i worked in a bodyshop, doing bitchwork, no I dont paint, no i dont do repairs. Ive used the sem stuff at work there, and at home.)

The chemical stripper would be better for the inexperianced body worker, as you can do some serious damage with a da or hand sander.

I worked in a reputable bodyshop (one of the top 5 in iowa, actually) and yes, we did. Youve never used it, knock it off, the stuff WORKS. It doesnt much matter if you "think" its cheesy.

Yes SEM makes good products. We personally use their self-etching primer and adhesion promoter among other products. I like how you advocate how well it worked for the shop you were at, yet have never used it personally. Why are you getting so defensive about this method. If it's that important to you, go help him do it.

Yes SEM makes good products. We personally use their self-etching primer and adhesion promoter among other products. I like how you advocate how well it worked for the shop you were at, yet have never used it personally. Why are you getting so defensive about this method. If it's that important to you, go help him do it.

WTF are you talking about? As I said.. USED IT PERSONALLY AND AT THE SHOP. You are a fool plain and simple. OP- absolute best of luck with citrus strip :)

Im "defensive about it", because it works, and you, having NEVER used it, want to call it cheesy. Uneducated "opinions" dont help, guy. Personal experiance>>>your "thoughts"

spray it on, within a few min. it starts bubbling the paint up. you then take a putty knife and strip it off. use compressed air for the crevices! (Note this was a while ago, but i remember it being as simple as that) Do it in a well ventalated place, they advertise it as "low odor" but it gave me a bit of a headache. I might be sensative though.

Some people do some pretty ghetto ass things.

http://www.handsontools.com/SEM-77713-XXX-Bumper-Stripper-16-oz-Aerosol_p_11199.html

Ive used this, worked well for me. Also if its flaking that bad be sure to try compressed air at about 90 psi, might take a lot of it off!

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15811&p=117867&hilit=sem#p117867

Here is some more on the stuff..

from a board mod on there..HERE IS WHERE I GIVE CREDIT TO SOMEONE ELSE SAYING THIS, ALSO NOTICE THE QUOTATIONS AROUND THE PARAGRAPH

"

Well, you're right you can do some real damage with most chemical strippers and da or ro sanders can cause a lot of damage mostly because of the operator not keeping the sander angled properly. I've been researching this myself lately and here's a product that I found... http://www.handsontools.com/SEM-39913-B ... 0374.html#

Now, I haven't tried this stuff yet but I have used many, many other SEM products and have always found them to live up to their claims. My local mobile bumper restorer guy uses only that SEM stripper when he has to, so what the heck, you should find it at a local jobber in the $12 to $15 range. I think it's worth a try. "

(also- To those that would ask, yes i worked in a bodyshop, doing bitchwork, no I dont paint, no i dont do repairs. Ive used the sem stuff at work there, and at home.)

The chemical stripper would be better for the inexperianced body worker, as you can do some serious damage with a da or hand sander.

Guess I dont see whats so hard to comprehend here?:think:

Goin up against a troll is always a losing battle, so I'll take the high road.//

Good luck op. Just make sure you when you go to get it repainted, wash that beotch with hot soapy water a bunch first, then use any kind of wax and grease remover like mad, such as DX 340 or 440 (PPG stuff; any brand will work really. It's just what I'm used to using), cuz that stripper may/ can leech into the porous urethane bumper if you've gotten it down to the bare plastic. If not, you may see the equivalent of solvent popping down the road after you've painted it as any remaining stripper evaporates out.

Goin up against a troll is always a losing battle, so I'll take the high road.//

Good luck op. Just make sure you when you go to get it repainted, wash that beotch with hot soapy water a bunch first, then use any kind of wax and grease remover like mad, such as DX 340 or 440 (PPG stuff; any brand will work really. It's just what I'm used to using), cuz that stripper may/ can leech into the porous urethane bumper if you've gotten it down to the bare plastic. If not, you may see the equivalent of solvent popping down the road after you've painted it as any remaining stripper evaporates out.

You dont like what i say so im a troll.. interesting. Lots of useless opinions out there, I offer data on something IVE used :roll::think:and im a troll? cool

I didn't say you were. I was figuratively speaking. I guess you must feel guilty or something as I never did technically say you were. Also, you don't like what I say so I'm a fool?:

WTF are you talking about? As I said.. USED IT PERSONALLY AND AT THE SHOP. You are a fool plain and simple. OP- absolute best of luck with citrus strip :smile:

Im "defensive about it", because it works, and you, having NEVER used it, want to call it cheesy. Uneducated "opinions" dont help, guy. Personal experiance>>>your "thoughts"

Lastly, I didn't say I've never used other brands of paint strippers, just that I've never used the SEM brand. They typically don't work that well in a professional setting. But this is neither here nor there.

OP is doing it they way he so chooses to do so. Best of luck!

Edited by carkhz316

the citrusstrip works good. I just remembered I was going to strip the clear off my x-lace rims and used citrustrip and the clear all came off in like 20 minutes. I just masked off the lace part.

If you are worried about the residue, just scrub it off with some water and baking soda afterwards

the citrusstrip works good. I just remembered I was going to strip the clear off my x-lace rims and used citrustrip and the clear all came off in like 20 minutes. I just masked off the lace part.

If you are worried about the residue, just scrub it off with some water and baking soda afterwards

Its gonna take a long time because of how thick and hard the gold paint on it is, but once I got past that, whatever primer was sprayed over the red came right off and I'm down to red, which I don't care as much about getting off with the stripper because when I get down that far I can sand everything