Suspension overhaul, UPDATE: Parts on!!! PICS

Psych0matt

Psychomatt, I would NOT put poly bushings in the rear suspension arms. They work wonders for the front control arm bushings and for sway bar bushings, but our rear arms HAVE to deflect laterally for the suspension to work right. The arms move outward and towards the rear of the vehicle as the suspension compresses. Poly bushings will bind and you're left with a stiff ride, unpredictable handling, and probably premature bushing wear. Bob, didn't you yourself say that you even bent some arms with polys in them? I know a lot of aftermarket companies use them in independent trailing arm suspensions, but trust me, they are not the right application.

The GMPP trailing arms (if you can find some) are a great upgrade and use a rubber bushing and Bob's trailing arms with heim joints should be even better. But leave the rubber bushings in the Gen 2 lateral links (or get Bob to make some with heim joints:) )

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Psych0matt

• BXX

• Twenty

• Venom

Yes, I have tweaked my rear lats with the poly in there. Potholes were involved as well. I would imagine avoiding potholes and uneven pavement and the binding would be kept to a minimum.

But your 100% right, poly is not the best use of bushings for our rear lats and trailing arms. But its a step above stock as for stability before you have to spend big bucks on the rear arms I make.

I think the guys have pretty much covered the bases here for what you need. I do have the part numbers for the lateral arm bushings as well as for the front lower control arms (ES sells a kit with just the lowers only now) so if you need them I can dig thru the "Cutlass" file in my computer desk that houses all my receipts and notes.

One thing I was wondering if you havnt already discussed it, what tires are you gonna run? All the suspension goodies wont really come alive without a decent set of tires. I know Im really being limited by the GM OE Hankook take-offs Im running now. I dont plan on spending a fortune on a set of tires, but its something else you wanna consider doing.

thanks for the continued input guys, it's doing wonders! This weekend when I have some free time I'm gonna make up an order list and what I want to do and get organized so that when I deposit my bonus check on Wed I can start ordering things right away. As far as tires, haven't thought that far ahead, as that's the last thing that will need to be done. I still have yet to decide what wheels I'm going to run, or if I'm going to redo a set first.

Coilovers

sleeves $18.80 x4

nuts $12.87 x4

bearing kit $25.95

springs $39.95 x4 (I could use some suggestions/help chosing, but I think somewhere ~300 is what I'll want)

Mounts/fstb $per BXX

shocks/struts (GR2) font ~$60 x2

rear ~$60 x2

2nd gen rear knuckles $40.00

ball joints ~$30 x2

tie rod ends ~$25 x2

These are the parts I'll still need help with. I don't know where to get these, or in some cases what to get (for example, the front bushing stuff, I'm just not sure). As well as any other add ons or whatnot. I'm gonna look up Chris' (IIRC) FFP poly dogbone write up as well and redo mine.

GMPP (or BXX) trailing arms with rubber bushings $???

Gen 2 lateral arms with rubber bushings $???

rear STB $???

front suspension poly bushings (help?) $???

Total so far:

$702.43, so with the other things I need I'm assuming roughly right around the 1k mark like I was hoping. If anyone has any leads on anything else I need, or any other suggestions/idea, go for it. I'm just planning all this out so that when I get my check deposited I can start ordering and acquiring parts asap.

Anything I'm missing?

Edited by Psych0matt

Matt, front and rear mounts will be 350 shipped for all of them. If you want the front mounts with integrated ftb mounts and the bar I would need another 120 shipped due to parts and welding costs.

with gen 2 rear laterals, get the gen 1.5 22mm rear sway bar, slap some moog bushings on the sway bar and win!

Can I still use a stock 3.4 stb with your mounts? I don't wanna go that route but I might have to, at least for now.

I just gotta round up those last few things now. My other thought is if I came out and had you help me install maybe we could bypass shipping costs and I could buy you beers instead

Matt, front and rear mounts will be 350 shipped for all of them. If you want the front mounts with integrated ftb mounts and the bar I would need another 120 shipped due to parts and welding costs.

with gen 2 rear laterals, get the gen 1.5 22mm rear sway bar, slap some moog bushings on the sway bar and win!

So I'm adding a gen 1.5 sway bar to the list? Gotcha

yeah stock struts. Definitely the 22mm rear sway bar. And a vert bar won't fit my mounts. We can work something out.

as far as shipping, the mounts are the same price lol. I do free shipping outta the kindness of my heart. I'm not making much on them as it is by selling them for 350.

install is always an option, dr pepper is a known form of payment lol

how far are you looking to drop?

i have a 3 inch lowering spring from birchmount and now i'm working on front coilovers. i'm worried that the struts aren't going to be able to survive long with that ride height.

i bought gr2 struts for all four corners. are there an other alternatives?