216,000 mile L27 Teardown Pics

BXX

Thanks so much! You wouldn't believe how hard I've looked to try and find this information... There seems to be quite a bit of confusion over what makes a Series-I vs. LN3's vs. the older 3.8 FWD, and that doesn't even get into the cam gear itself.. And to further confuse things, at some point they apparently teflon-coated the teeth which apparently made them look a bit like the plastic/nylon teeth, so there are supposed 'sightings' of the dreaded nylon teeth way up in the years.. Suffice it to say it's a huge relief to know I can focus on getting some other things on this car dealt with, without having to worry over the cam gear..

For what it's worth, I really do hate that the knowledge came at the expense of your engine.. If it helps, I really, really appreciate it and I plan to study these photographs quite a bit!

Thanks again!

The engine was overheated due to a number of problems I was chasing. It was very bad timing and I wish I had a backup car so I could drive that instead of this one, but that's all in hindsight. It went downhill during a summer in California. I was losing coolant under the upper intake manifold due to the manifold having warped over time. Plastic manifolds suck. This was causing air pockets to form in the engine, which was compounded by a thermostat that got stuck. By the time I figured out and fixed one problem, it was too late as I still had another problem to deal with. Combine this with a radiator that also started leaking and you have a recipe for disaster.

Don't worry about my engine. It was replaced by a Series 2 3800 with a supercharger on it, a smaller pulley, headers, and supporting modifications. I miss the L27 but the L67 makes up for it. :biggrin:

Yeah some jackass ripped out that awsome L27 and shoved a shitty L67 in there...

That reminds me. I owe that jackass a phone call followed by WOT with the windows down and that blower whining.

Sent from my HTC Awesome using Tapatalk