Torque Converter Intermittent Lockup Problems

WhatTheFehl

• 5 months later...

Hello eveyone, so I cut the brown wire for the PWM solenoid because I am having the issue where the TCC wont lock in and this did not fix the problem. So I am just assuming that the problem is not with the TCC PWM solenoid but with maybe another solenoid? Does anyone have any suggestions to what I could try next? thanks

Hello eveyone, so I cut the brown wire for the PWM solenoid because I am having the issue where the TCC wont lock in and this did not fix the problem. So I am just assuming that the problem is not with the TCC PWM solenoid but with maybe another solenoid? Does anyone have any suggestions to what I could try next? thanks

year make and model?

year make and model?

Sounds exactly like what was going on with my 4T60E in my LQ1 Cutlass. Most likely it's the TCC apply piston sticking in the bore, unfortunately a common issue on thre 4T60E. In my case the only fix was a transmission rebuild, but even then, the first rebuild the shop performed improved, but did not eliminate the problem. So, they took it out again...second attempt was successful, and I've had no further problems for several months now.

Our Cutlass does this. Once about every three trips the TCC will not engage and it'll stick in 3rd. When this happens, I shift into Neutral and flip the key off and on, and then shift back into OD, and it then shifts properly.

What's happening is when the TCC apply piston sticks in the bore, there's insufficient fluid pressure to lock the torque converter. The ECM detects the excess slip, and disables TCC lockup AND overdrive for that drive cycle. Shutting the car down and restarting starts the process all over again...as long as no excess slip is detected after the startup, all is well.

Our Cutlass does this. Once about every three trips the TCC will not engage and it'll stick in 3rd. When this happens, I shift into Neutral and flip the key off and on, and then shift back into OD, and it then shifts properly.