3.4 OBD1 - Failure to Start

Go4DaMo

Hey all,

As some may remember, my black 92 Lumina was limped home from Dayton Meet II 2010, with the help of 9Lumina6 and his roommate, Mike.

Currently, I've wrapped a full 24 hrs into this car, to no avail. Here's the scoop:

Car stalled in traffic. When I turned the key - a repetitive clicking sound was all I heard. I jumped the car off my friend's Cummins...got it home.

Since, I've:

installed a new battery

installed a used starter, removed from an '02 Impala 3400

load tested car for the first time...seemed fine

checked grounds from battery

checked power to starter...even assisted starter power with a jumper cable going from positive battery terminal directly to the starter.

Still, the car barely makes an attempt to start, as if no power is getting to the starter?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

- Sam

although I can no longer get it to start from another vehicle's power, my dad managed to. would that cancel these two things out?

I messed with the clutch button, even removing it from the floorboard.

also, when my dad get my car to start off another car's power, it appeared to not be charging. this makes sense because the entire drive home from Dayton, my phone battery was

charging abnormally slowly.

you can likely easily bypass the clutch switch to see if it is the culprit. You need to figure out if the switch is normally open or normally closed. Well actually you dont you can disconnect the leads to the clutch switch, try to start it. This would be the case if its a normally closed switch. If not try jumping the leads with a wire, this would be a normally open clutch switch.

not sure, i think from what I read, it was 12 GA wires to the switch, which makes me think power goes through it, so youd want something maybe bigger than a paperclip. got a pic of the connector and wiring?

I would presume it to not be these two things, only because those would cause an all or nothing symptom, whereas currently the starter is attempting to start the vehicle, but barrrely

ok now that I got a good handle on the issue, yes it sounds like the alt isnt charging the system, and its deeply discharged right now. Did you take a look at John's threat about his alternator install on his cutlass? I know thats an OBD-II but it might prove useful to you.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/47521-New-Battery-New-Alternator-Not-Charging-(UPDATE-KILLING-ALTERNATORS)?highlight=alternator

It is cranking weakly...if I bumpstart the car into 3rd gear, it runs fine.

Posting this thread was a last-minute effort to avert taking it to the mechanic, but I took it over there today. Thanks for all your input and I'll surely post the result of their diagnosis just to satisfy anyone's curiosity!

Again, thanks everyone for your help!

- Sam

I'll also throw my 'are your battery cables and aux post tight and free of corrosion' in here.

Also check the ground to the motor and body. What good are connections at the battery if its cronked somewhere else. However I see you Sally'ed out and took it to a mechanic.:fluffy:

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out a ground to the drivetrain was bad, but not the actual wire. Also, a part of the starter solenoid may have been functioning incorrectly. It's back on the road now, though!