Idle and Radio Problems

GP1138

This is kind of a combination post. I've replaced a few things, given the tranny some ATF with "stop-shudder" stuff to.. stop shudder at 2500-3K RPM's, in 3 or OD. I also put some engine cleaner and some carb cleaner in it, it's driving really well right now. The problem I'm having, I think is alternator related, is that the car doesn't like heat. When it's hot, the car starts and idles really rough, I have to rev it a few times to get it to not stall out. The voltage also jumps, stays between 9-12 volts.

When it's cold, the car fires right up, and I get between 12-14 volts. The voltage falls to about 11-12 with lights on, and the needle falls and jumps with the turn signals. When the radiator fan comes on, it almost kills the engine. I'm thinking it's a weak alternator, coupled with a low CCA battery, but I don't have the $ to change the alternator at this point. Damn Ohio Highway patrol clocked me and some guy in a Sunfire going 84 on I-75 (65 speed limit), so now I have an $83 ticket to pay. :-(

I'm also having a problem with the radio. I posted before about the left channel going out, but now it seems to come back when the car is cold. When it warms up, I lose it again. It's strange, though, it only seems to happen when I drive downtown. If I'm on the highway or uptown, I'm fine. I lose the left channel, and it sounds like a bad ground, a whine that goes up and down with engine speed. I end up turning off the radio.

I'm about to go do the dishes then I'm going to struggle with the back brakes some more. :eyeroll: I'm going to end up taking ALL the skin off of my knuckles....

My car is a '89 GP LE too :) And mine also ( I think) is starting too have trouble with the altenater, like you said when i'm at a stop with lights and turn signal on my voltmeter jumps around like crazy( way under half on the gage) and turn signal takes like 10 seconds to do one blink :? Sorry I cant help you on the stereo 'cause mines all aftermarket front to back.

UGH! My right front tire just blew, standing in the fucking driveway no less... it had a small lump in it I noticed when I got home from taking my sister to school, and when I came out to try to put the back brakes on, forgetting about the lump, I noticed it expanding waaay too late, and the next thing I knew it POPPED! My ears are still ringing. :evil: :evil: Now I need God knows how much $ to pay for THAT. The spare is currently inflated properly, so that will have to do until I can get my new job squared away. I was going to be doing pizza delivery, that'll be interesting trying to do so on a spare. Luckily most of it is <30-50 MPH. Ugh, I'm gonna look so ghetto though. Lol.

How old are the tires? they may be under warranty, it's worth checking into.

As far as the radio, alternater is a good bet, but also check your grounds from the radio, speakers and the antennae.

Good luck

Don't drive around too long with the donut, that shit'll blow up as well. As for your alternator, they all go bad eventually and you might even want to rebuild it yourself with a rebuild kit. It might be less expensive than a remanufactured alternator.