2010 Snow Tire Thread!!!

Night Fury

Calculate given the diameter and tread width the diagonal diameter from point to point on the tire. Basically, if you're looking down at the tire when its on the car, from the rear edge to the front opposite edge. Once you have the diagonal diameter of both tires, turn your steering wheel and determine how much space you have between the tire and the fenderwell, and that should tell you how much more space you have to work with.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Night Fury

• mra32

• BXX

WTF!?!?!?

NO!!!

Calculator says 4.6% too slow, regular threshold for tires is usually +/- 3%, I've gone higher myself, but that's really high.

Matt (Got2beGM) has tires with too big a sidewall on his Z34 and they rub up top on bumps.

You'll probably get away with these, but it's probably one of those things that you don't want to/shouldn't be trying.

Dan,

They may have been reffering to 15" rims.

215/70R15 is nearly an exact match to 225/60R16's. He was probably suggesting 15" steelies. In addition to fitting, 15" steelies will reduce your tire costs as well!

What do you guys think of these: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/2070633202.html

tire diameter is 27", the 225/60's i have right now are supposedly 26.6" I think it should work. What do you guys think about 6 year old snow tires?

Half of how snows work is the softness of the rubber, most notably for how they perform on ice.

Being that old comprimises that greatly.

I'm also not a fan of throwing tires on a car just for a year or so. Balancing, etc isn't free. And it's one of those scenarios where they would have to be the last tires the car ever gets to put ones like that on. I'm a little more liberal on all-seasons for age of tire.

Just my two cents take it or leave it. Excellent deal for $100, but the age is what bothers me.

My dad just scored 6 Blizzaks for $200, four are '09's (used one season), the other two while the tread is deep are 2003's, and he's going to try and unload for $50 it's all they are worth and probably more.

Keep in mind I have a slew of 16" w-body wheels in my garage at this point that I can throw the tires on and keep them mounted...age is concerning. There is a place I can detour to on my way home from work that does mount and balance for peanuts. Fast too! The tires are located on the way to my parents house, so I could easily stop by and check them out. Anything to look for? I dont have a durometer gauge but i could probably access one if i had plans to go back to philly anytime soon. I know race tires get some discoloring on them when they sit for a few months, but i havent seen that on any passenger car tires.

Those look like Michelin Arctic Alpins... and pretty worn ones at that. Not the greatest tires by any means, but not the worst either. I don't think they have made them since the early 2000's tho....and I believe the original X-Ice is what replaced them, so keep that in mind.

I just picked up a pair of STUDDED winterforce tires size 225/60/16 with enough tread to still show the siping. FOR FREE. They are mounted to steelies for a Dodge Intrepid, which has a 5x114.3 Lug pattern with a 71.5mm centerbore. The W-body centerbore is 70.3mm IIRC. I think I'll try to run the steelies and pick up some more later on. I might have pics tomorrow.

im really looking into some studded tires this season, as western WA is supposed to have its worst winter in 50 years. We generally only get a few inches of snow and our state already has a bad reputation for bad weather response, so im preparing for the worst.

i just called my local JY and they want $200+tax for a set of used 15" alloys. I LOL'D. I can get a new set of wheels for just a hundred more. SO i think im gonna get the Hankook W409 on 15" MB wheels for $655 shipped from discounttiredirect. These will go on the wifes Mariner since it has better ground clearance than the GP. I just wish the Mariner were AWD.

im really looking into some studded tires this season, as western WA is supposed to have its worst winter in 50 years. We generally only get a few inches of snow and our state already has a bad reputation for bad weather response, so im preparing for the worst.

i just called my local JY and they want $200+tax for a set of used 15" alloys. I LOL'D. I can get a new set of wheels for just a hundred more. SO i think im gonna get the Hankook W409 on 15" MB wheels for $655 shipped from discounttiredirect. These will go on the wifes Mariner since it has better ground clearance than the GP. I just wish the Mariner were AWD.

Do you guys have local discount tire retail stores/shops?

Just got a kickass deal. 4 Blizzak WS70's at 225/60/16 on the GP 5 spokes for ~$500 installed and out the door. In addition to that, I have $50 in discount vouchers from them, but even at $500 installed and out the door, that's a pretty good deal.

I'm dabbling for the FIRST time in snow tires this season. Mainly because they were cheaper than my normal tires and I'm tight on cash and needed to replace my tires ASAP.

Pacemark Snowtrakkers

829NoRim.jpg

Studded tires are awesome on ice....and that is about it. There won't be any real difference on packed snow, deep snow etc... To top that off, you will take a pretty substantial hit in dry and wet pavement traction, plus the constant noise of the studs on pavement. I ran studded tires for years on the 89 and my cutlass, but never again. The slight increase in ice traction over a studless winter is not worth dealing with the noise and lousy pavement traction of studded tires.

Do you guys have local discount tire retail stores/shops?
yeah there is a discount tire about 30 miles away, but buying online is cheaper. Just to get the cheapest winter tire on the stock wheels is $540 at the retail location. I would much rather have the whole second set.

Studded tires are awesome on ice....and that is about it. There won't be any real difference on packed snow, deep snow etc... To top that off, you will take a pretty substantial hit in dry and wet pavement traction, plus the constant noise of the studs on pavement. I ran studded tires for years on the 89 and my cutlass, but never again. The slight increase in ice traction over a studless winter is not worth dealing with the noise and lousy pavement traction of studded tires.

good to know. i will forgo getting them studded. a quick google search and many people like the tire without studs so :thumbsup:

Edited by Andrew

yeah there is a discount tire about 30 miles away, but buying online is cheaper. And i want a second set of wheels. i dont wanna pay every year to get tires swapped.

good to know. i will forgo getting them studded. a quick google search and many people like the tire without studs so :thumbsup:

Its not cheaper unless you're not paying for tax.

The reason why I mentioned this is because discount tire does price matching even with online retailers. Doesn't matter where you find it, so long as it looks semi-legit, they will price match the online price + shipping in-store. Not sure if that requires you to get them mounted and balanced there, but its something to consider.

...steelies for a Dodge Intrepid, which has a 5x114.3 Lug pattern....

Have you tried those wheels on your car yet? How tight are they?

I have a set of Momo Winter wheels for my minivan and it has the same 5x114.3 lug pattern. I plan to sell the van in the spring, and I never considered that I could use those rims on the Regal or Cutlass. I knew the numbers were close, but I thought I would bend the bolts on the hub if I tried it.

I have a set of Momo Winter wheels for my minivan and it has the same 5x114.3 lug pattern. I plan to sell the van in the spring, and I never considered that I could use those rims on the Regal or Cutlass. I knew the numbers were close, but I thought I would bend the bolts on the hub if I tried it.

You're talking 5x114.3 wheels on 5x115?

IIRC there's tons of 2nd and 3rd gen guys that do this without issue.

They should fit just fine. The intrepid wheels fit the intrigue just about as well as the factory wheels do. The offset appears to be closer to the 1st gen wheels though, but i'm not 100% sure if they would fit a 1st gen without rubbing as I have never tried... a 2nd gen should fit no problem.

They should fit just fine. The intrepid wheels fit the intrigue just about as well as the factory wheels do. The offset appears to be closer to the 1st gen wheels though, but i'm not 100% sure if they would fit a 1st gen without rubbing as I have never tried... a 2nd gen should fit no problem.

That's good info. I wish I knew it a couple weeks ago because I just bought 15" Winterforce tires and had them studded. I would have gone with 16" tires to fit on the Momo's.

Oh well. The good news is that I am planning to be a GM only household by the end of next year, and now I know I can keep the Momo's and the set of 15" steel wheels off an Intrepid that I have for my van's snow tires. Thanks again.