does hittin your brakes on your gp dim your headlights,and does that drive u nuts?

96grandprix

got a new to me 96 gp and one thing i noticed while driving at nite the headlights would always dim for a split second when i hit the brakes. kinda annoying.then i took a tailight apart to replace the water damaged outer lens. then i noticed the number of brake lights , 6. wow im thinkin thats wat is dimming my headlights when ihit the brakes. im gonna get some led replacements for the brake lites, itll b a lot less load. anybody else dealt with this?

Mine dims the lights really bad when I have my hazards on, but I never noticed it from the brakes.

Of course, being that I have HID headlights, I don't have headlight dimming, but every other light does =P

I've wanted to do LED's in the tails, but haven't had the money to do so with decent bulbs.

yep, happens with the wifemobile all the time... the only time it doesn't happen is right after a cold start and the alt is pushing out more voltage. the instrument cluster and HVAC controls will usually dim as well if you're watching them.

i've also considered LED brake lights, but considering i have a large section of brake lens missing, that's been put on hold.

Welcome to "engine slows down, alternator voltage is reduced".

If this were me, I'd be getting the battery and alternator tested. A weak battery, a dying alternator, or corroded wiring could each cause the headlights to dim when you take your foot off the gas to apply the brake.

Welcome to "engine slows down, alternator voltage is reduced".

If this were me, I'd be getting the battery and alternator tested. A weak battery, a dying alternator, or corroded wiring could each cause the headlights to dim when you take your foot off the gas to apply the brake.

the 96 g.p. has 6 brake lites. think about that , most cars only have 2. more current flow=way more momentary voltage drop, especially at low rpms,(when alt output is low) when your braking. i think from the posts here that its "normal" for the car to do that. battery is new and alt is good. cranks over fine.

Edited by 96grandprix

the 96 g.p. has 6 brake lites. think about that , most cars only have 2. more current flow=way more momentary voltage drop, especially at low rpms,(when alt output is low) when your braking. i think from the posts here that its "normal" for the car to do that. battery is new and alt is good. cranks over fine. but ill gaurandamtee u that when i put led brake lites in, the problem will b gone.

i wouldn't say it's "normal".....i know none of my old grand prixs had this issue

the 96 g.p. has 6 brake lites. think about that , most cars only have 2. more current flow=way more momentary voltage drop, especially at low rpms,(when alt output is low) when your braking. i think from the posts here that its "normal" for the car to do that. battery is new and alt is good. cranks over fine. but ill gaurandamtee u that when i put led brake lites in, the problem will b gone.

... and you'll still have the problem causing the dimming lights. Your alternator might be going bad, or a ground might be bad. I had this problem when my alt was weak, and also when my battery cables were slightly loose. I don't have this problem now.

my 92 Lumina had a worn out alternator. it would do the dimming issue described. It was putting out 12 volts but only 5 to 10 amps (100-105 rated?) when I realized there was a problem... the bad alt was also making alot of alternator whine that could be heard through the radio...

I have been converting my third brakelight to LED on my cars, as they are usually halogen bulbs and probably draw more current than the rest of the lights....

I have been converting my third brakelight to LED on my cars, as they are usually halogen bulbs and probably draw more current than the rest of the lights....

Not to mention its probably just as expensive! I replaced mine and was amazed at the $10 price. I also LOLd at the fact that it was billed as a foglight bulb

If what you're seeing is a really fast dim, and then the lights recover, clean solid connections will help but I doubt eliminate the problem. I've had that issue on many cars I've owned, across manufacturers.

It is caused by inrush current. When you close the circuit, there is a very brief but substantial surge in current draw before it reaches steady state current draw. The more bulbs (greater load) the greater the spike caused by inrush will be. Also the more load already presented to your charging system (i.e. your headlights) the more noticeable the effect will be. I see it on my GP with the brakes, and I see a much more noticeable dip when either fan kicks in. In both cases though, the voltage almost immediately recovers. I even see this on my Legacy GT when the A/C kicks on at speed.

Short answer though: If the dimming really is just for a split second and the voltage and brightness recovers fully, thats normal.

Edit: And BTW, I have a new alt and batt on the GP, and all contacts are clean, shiny and tight.

Edited by spiderw31

I've had this on my old 83' cougar and long ago on my GTP. It's caused by bad connections like many have already said. Clean your connections. And not just the easy lazy spots; the alt, engine ground, chassis grounds etc. I cleaned and resealed almost all of the connections on my GTP over the years and the problem went away.

Now I have LED on it, but if you put them in to cover the issue they will fail quickly. LEDs don't like voltage drops below their recommended range.

Then why doesn't it happen on mine?

The physics of it say that the effect happens all the time. The amount of load, the resistance of the connections (directly related to their cleanliness), and the quality of the voltage regulator all have an effect on how noticeable it is. Alt in good shape, fresh battery, clean connections, and a fast voltage regulator; the drop in voltage may be so brief that you don't see it. It's still there though.

It's weird on mine because when I use the brakes, it does that 'fast dim' like was mentioned before, but if I turn my hazards on, it stays dim while the hazards lights are illuminated. Then again my batt is total dog shit too, I found out the other day...

• 1 month later...