syntheic oil

SmoothSteve3

Hey everyone-

In the wake of redturbo's loss, it feels weird posting about something so insignificant.......but oh well......

So I've decided to see just how sealed my 1990 3.1 MPFI is afte 97,000 miles......I put synthetic in it for the first time today :D

Now we play the "watch for leaks" game.......

SmoothSteve3

You went from regular oil to full synthetic in 1 oil change? When I changed from regular oil to synthetic, I did it one quart at a time. First oil change, 1 quart synthetic, 3.5 quarts regular. Second oil change, 2 quarts synthetic, 2.5 quarts regular, etc until I reached full (4.5 quarts) synthetic.

I dont see whats so bad about regular oil

After 3k miles mine was thick, pitch black, and had the consitancy of cottage cheese. I put Mobil 1 in and quit driving that way, go figure.

Yeah, you don't have slowly add synthetic oil to your regular conventional oil at every oil change until it's 100% synthetic. When I switcehd from conventional to synthetic on my old W-Body I did it in one shot and had no problems. If it leaks, it leaks.

I went from regular to full synthetic in one oil change. no problems, in fact, my little oil leak is gone now.

Nothing's wrong with conventional oil, it just doesn't offer the same amount of engine protection that synthetic would.

As long as you change your oil and filter on a regular basis, you can run the cheapest, shittiest oil you can buy.

I dont see whats so bad about regular oil

define shitty oil for me and tell me the difference between "good" oil and "bad" oil

Shitty oil comes in plain looking containers. Good oil pays for advertising, bad oil doesn't. :lol:

Now that I've had synthetic in my Lumina for a few days, I can already feel a difference! Everything runs soooo much smoother and it just plain old feels good.

SmoothSteve

Texaco Havoline is suprisingly one of the best oils we sell at checker. The worst is Penzoil. Personally Valvoline Maxlife 5x30 is my oil of choice. It works REALLY well and helps quiet out my engine a bit. Valvoline makes one of the finest quality oils, penzoil actually has very high amounts of wax and varnish materials in thier oil. Synthetic is pretty much not worth the money in MOST cars. It will actually void your warranty if you use it too soon on some new cars. Some Manufacturers want you to hold off on synthetic until 60K miles, then some use it in the factory.

because penzoil gums up the components in your engine and brakes things so you have to fix it.

Ask any decent mechanic what they use in there car (thiers not thier wives :lol: ) and the will 9 times out of ten say valvoline (or some synthetic).

I'll take your word for it, but my family has been using it forever and had 0 problems with it.

My family has been using the cheap walmart brand for ages. Got 260k out of a Ford 3.0, 220k and counting on a Chevy 3.1 Iron head, and 110k and counting out of a 3100.

i never said it didnt work (Its oil! - as long as you have something in there youre fine) but its just not the best - especially since valve costs the same... but to each thier own thats just my own experience and what i hear from mechanics and such...

Can someone please list the pros and cons of synthetic. I was thinking about buying some at work last night, but i wasnt sure.

What are the MAJOR pros of synthetic, as well as cons. Do i need to be careful when changing to synthetic? or should i just go full blown. Lemme know

John

What are the MAJOR pros of synthetic, as well as cons. Do i need to be careful when changing to synthetic? or should i just go full blown. Lemme know

John

My Lumina has used synthetic in it for the vast majority of it's life, it has 178k on it and up until the modulator decided that trans fluid was good for the intake, it idled smooth. About the only con to synthetic is when you only commute a couple of miles and don't give the engine a chance to remove all the condensation. Dino oils have polymers that help with this, but if your commute is more than a few miles, then synthetic is a better choice. As for the change, dump the dino and fill it up with synthetic. No need to blend them together in the transition.

Pros of sythetic

Doesnt break down as quickly 3000+ miles

Less wear on your engine

Very good for racing!

Cons of synthetic

EXPENSIVE!! $3-4 a quart compared to $1-2

Can Cause leaks in otherwise sealed engine

Can void warranty by preventing normal break-in period from bieng accomplished thus causing shorter engine lifespan. Check the manufacturers specifications on break-in period before using it it varys GREATLY

If you have the money and your car can take it use it if not youre really not missing THAT much.