96 rear struts?

ron350

Looks like after 14 years my 96 Regal needs new rear struts. The rubber bumpers are rotten and it and the dust shield have dropped down on the shock.

I have read that the Monroe Sensa-Trac Strut will give the softest ride is this fairly accurate?

strut003a.jpg

They have compressors for them. Looks like a pretty good deal for one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130432993501&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=f185c70312a0a02663b144c1ff921208&rvr_id=146171342276&ua=WXS%3F&itemid=130432993501

Many cars did not get those and so people have left those off without issue. Including myself. But I was switching to coilovers. YMMV

You're right, come to think of it, my spring compressing bolt must have come with the struts because I don't remember buying a special metric bolt. It would probably be hard to find one by itself.

I just did this few a months ago and fought like hell with that rubber spring. I was tempted to not install it. I finally used a wood clamp to compress it at the same time as getting 1 of the lower strut mount bolts in. The other side went together in a few minutes. Its a pain, but stick with it and try various clamp setups - it will go back together:)

Thanks

Compressing the auxiliary rubber spring using a bolt worked great.

I used a 6-inch long all thread bolt 3/8 inch OD by 16 threads per inch along with a matching nut and thick washer.

strut024a.jpg

• 5 years later...

Warning I used the wrong bolt listed above.

The correct bolt to compress the auxiliary rubber spring should be 10 mm x 1.5 thread pitch about 6 inches long.