Rev, gurgle, pop, stall

jreed10

When I got it scanned, it said catalytic something-another. I don't remember exactly what, but I'm guessing that it is clogged. It seems even more sluggish than usual, which leads me to believe that it is, in fact, clogged. I would actually be kind of surprised if it wasn't clogged. As far as the emulator goes, I would prefer it over using spark plug non-foulers, but not for $60, especially when there is even the slightest chance that it might not work on my car. I was just wondering if the spark non-foulers would actually work, and if so, how they would work.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jreed10

• AL

• tornado_735

• Crazy K

I dont know how they work either but the emulators work, I honestly dont see why they wouldnt... And even if you have a straight pipe put in, you dont HAVE to put in an emulator/simulator but you will get the SES if you dont...

The car started stalling out, acting stupid, and revving strangely at full operating temperature. I thought it may be something serious and expensive, but Aaron suggested that it could be the upstream O2 sensor. I had trouble rocking the engine forward enough to get to the O2 sensor, but finally got it replaced. That took care of the stalling problem, then about 40 miles later, I got an SES light. I immediately got it scanned, and it said something about the catalytic converter. I figured it made sense, considering all of the unburnt fuel from driving with the failing O2 sensor. Now I am at a loss as to what to do, because I cannot afford to replace the cat, and don't really have the skills or resources to weld a straight pipe in its place. Now I am trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to fix the problem.

I dont know how they work either but the emulators work, I honestly dont see why they wouldnt... And even if you have a straight pipe put in, you dont HAVE to put in an emulator/simulator but you will get the SES if you dont...

I figured as much. I can't stand seeing the SES light on, so I will have to get an emulator or try the non-fouler trick.

You can unbolt the cat, take a metal rod and knock all the shit out, then bolt it back together... I am not sure how to keep your ses off though as your vehicle isnt listed under the emulator page

Just ignore the emulator for now. Hell, leave the downstream O2 outta there. Worse that will happen is a check engine light.

The downstream O2 monitors catalyst efficiency and nothing more. It will not affect any fueling, timing, shifts or anything at all if unplugged.

So knock the guts outta the cat, leave the O2 in there or just remove it and put a bung plug in, deal with the SES light and live on. Worse thing that will happen is a check engine light, nothing else. Best thing that will happen, the car will run right!!

And if in the future, you want the light gone.

Get a 97 Lumina 3100 PCM (I dont have spares laying around anymore), send it to me along with prepaid postage back and $40 and I will delete the codes outta the PCM for good.

Go to autozone and buy a cheap jack and jackstands.

Hell, use your scissor jack and some cinder blocks if you have too.

Do you ever work on your car?? 1st tools you should have is a jack and jackstands

I used to just go to my dad's house and use his garage, jack, and jack stands to change my oil, replace brake pads, etc. But now that he lives 250 miles away, that option is out. I don't have a place to store a jack, which is why I don't have one. Plus, I probably couldn't afford even the cheapest jack available. I'm in pretty bad shape financially ATM. That's my biggest challenge with this car right now.

You dont have any place you can spend an hour to pull the cat/knock the shit out/bolt it back on? I bet one of your friends has a garage

I wish. I don't really have any friends here, aside from my roommate. I'm really not even supposed to work on my car here. I'll figure something out. I just don't have any confidence in myself when it comes to working on cars.

I'll get it fixed one way or another. I always do. This thing breaks all the damn time, but this is just my first exhaust problem. I'll save up some money to get a jack and a couple of jack stands, and I'll just go from there. I finally got guaranteed full-time at work, so I just need those paychecks to start rolling in, and I should be fine. A lot of things have happened recently to completely fuck my finances up, and I'm really struggling to recover from that. Once I get back on my feet, everything should be fine. I just don't want to have to wait a few weeks before I can drive the car again, but I guess I don't really have a choice.

Oh damn... We had a situation at work where the front 02 sensor was replaced and the guy came back saying he needed a cat cause of the code but it turned out his rear 02 sensor was bad also

It could just be a bad rear O2 sensor. It's hard to say. Either way, I'm going to take the cat off and check it out, and if I take the cat off, I might as well go ahead and gut it. It isn't running as well as it was right after I changed the upstream O2 sensor, so if it isn't clogged, I'm sure it's getting there. From the way it's acting, I'm pretty sure it's partially clogged. It still runs and drives decently, but it's definitely not 100% what it should be.

Hell, Breakdowns was done in a parking lot of BXX Evans!!

Nope.

That would have made the job that much more spectacular.

It was a Wal-Mart special, we relocated over there, once we got the idea that we were no longer welcome at the Red Roof in working on the car. Plus someone (quite possibly John) put the most toxic poo poo ever in the toilet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as much as it pains me to say it, I think it's time to get rid of this car. My dad recently informed me that he will soon be deployed for 6 months, and he has offered his car to me until he gets back. The way I see it, this is my golden opportunity to get out of this money pit of a car, and into something more reliable. The Cutlass is giving me nothing but one problem after another. The bucking/stalling problem has made a comeback, and I now have yet another coolant leak somewhere. I would just fix the car and go about business as usual, but it seems to be past the point of being even marginally reliable, so I see no point in fixing it anymore. If anyone is interested, the car is for sale, but I'm probably not going to post a FS thread.