Problem noise with 1994 Cutlass Supreme SL

rich_e777

Ive got dogbone mounts at the front top of the engine but i keep seeing something about FFP? dog bone mounts, are these some other kind of after market dogbone mounts? Still trying to figure out what this noise is.

• 2 weeks later...
FFP, Fast Forward Performance, they made aftermarket dog bone mounts

Are they the same as the stock ones only with poly-bushings? or are they better?

• 1 month later...

Rechecked all the mounts, made sure everything is tight, replaced spark plugs and wires(probably not related but it was needed) and topped off all the fluids with a little extra in the transmission(not to much) Still this bang noise remains. Now sometimes when accelerating i can hear metal rubbing up against metal until the bang sound occurs and then its all good. Could be a very very raspy exhaust but it sonds like metal, thought it could be the belt tensioner. Looked like to much movment when the engine was running so I replace that, found a few HP but the noises now still persist. WTF? Im thinking something to do with the vibration dampener making the metal to metal noise. Could something to do with the exhaust explain any of this? I had my cat converter stolen and replaced and thats when I noticed the bang. Any new Ideas?

Isn't there a heatshield attached to the floor to protect the interior from heat? Could be the shield is contacting something...it would definitely transmit a good amount of noise to the interior..

Dude! holy crap i never thought of that, thanks man. When i had my converter hacked off they did a good number on that part, im going to go check it right now. Cant believe i didnt think of that. If thats what it turns out to be i'll have to buy you a six pack and fed ex it.

Hope it works out for you...let us know!

Dude! holy crap i never thought of that, thanks man. When i had my converter hacked off they did a good number on that part, im going to go check it right now. Cant believe i didnt think of that. If thats what it turns out to be i'll have to buy you a six pack and fed ex it.

Wasn't the shield. Oh well. I have no clue at this point, i'm going to pull the new mounts and clean out around them real good and make sure they are torqed to spec but i'm sure as long as they are tight is ok. The dog bones seem to be good. I hate driving her like this so i'm about to say f it and ground her to the garage till i get ready for that L67 swap and just ride the damn bus.

• 2 months later...
Ok dudes and dudettes i`ve got a `94 2-door Cutlass with this loud banging noise (metal to metal) that occurs after ive come to a stop at a light or sign and then as soon as i accelerate a loud bang sound happens underneath the car in front. THE CAR IS NOT BACKFIRING!!!!!!!!!! everyone ive talked to swears that it is but its not coming from the rear. Sometimes when switching from Park to Reverse or D to R the noise happens there. I thought it may have been the parking brake but ive disconnected it completly and the noise is still there. I need some suggestion about where to look and what to look for and my Cutlass would really apprciate it to.

dude i had this happen to me, lower ball joints. check them out,, mine made a metal on metal sound for about 3weeks (having very little money for those 3weeks i couldn't get it checked out) well one day i was driving and the driver side broke. Thank god i was going slow and turning, but it was a metal on metal sound from front end. Perhaps you check yours out.

94 cutlass supreme SL 3.1L

• 3 weeks later...

I found out that one of the noises is actually an exhaust leak caused by the idiot that repaired my exhaust a few years back. The banging noise is from the engine jumping when switching gears or accelerating. The suspension has nothing to do with it, i got some upgraded parts and i put the suspension thru some punishment but she likes it. I need a better way to mount and hold the engine in place with better mounts, custom mounts. I`m going to look into the FFP dogbones but i`d like some more options.

• 6 months later...

OK i`ll bump my old thread with a new question. The loud banging sound the car makes with bad mounts what exactly is it? I believe after having the issue for so long there is some damage by whatever the noise is and its needing some attention. I havent been driving my cutlass much because of whatever it is. Ive got completly brand new mounts top and bottom, replaced the trans modulator and have gone over the front suspension real good for anything and all i can think of is its something inside the engine or transmission.

Im stuck driving a family member`s minivan til i can get this fixed.

Bad mounts wont make a bang noise, itll be more of a vibration with metal to metal sound. Atleast thats what my lower engine mount sounded like when it went. Did you have your front struts replaced lately? Ive had that but loosen up on me and thats a horrible noise.

Bad mounts wont make a bang noise, itll be more of a vibration with metal to metal sound. Atleast thats what my lower engine mount sounded like when it went. Did you have your front struts replaced lately? Ive had that but loosen up on me and thats a horrible noise.

I havent messed with the struts as far as i know they`re still ok, a little creaking when i go over a speed bump but thats all. I`m thinking its something to do with the transmission but theres not really a lose of power, i can get it up and going but there is that metal to metal sound you mentioned and i believe that to be a bad weld in my exhaust. Could it actually be a backfire due fluctuating backpressure in the exhaust? Or bad exhaust manifold gasket?

A bad weld in the exhaust wont cause any noise except for an exhaust leak. Unless the exhaust is hitting something. Lack of back pressure has nothing to do with backfire. Backfire is cause by the engine not running properly. If you hear an exhaust leak, its either a manifold gasket, one of the gaskets in the exhaust system, or a bad weld or crack.

• 3 years later...

Just going through my thread history and updating.

The noise turned out to be a busted exhaust manifold, I guess either when my original cat converter was hacked off or the replacement was welded on had cracked right down the middle. I suppose the banging sound was it hitting the heat shield or something because once it was replaced the sound was gone. Shame I didn't look into doing a top swap at that time. I also re did all the gaskets but I used the RTV that came with the LIMG and now its 3-4 years later the valley is getting leaky on the "front" of the engine just a little bit.