Which (if any) Delco CD players play CD-R's?

Luminator9c3

So I have a 98 9c3 Lumina which came with ONLY an AM/FM radio. I went to U-Pull-It and got a CD unit out of a 2000 Grand Am. Came home, plugged it in, and it the radio worked but the CD player didn't. So, I took it back and swapped it out for a unit from a 98 Sunfire that was at least cosmetically identical... I believe it's the exact same P/N. This one works fine but it will only play store-bought cd's, not burned ones. My entire music collection is on my computer and in the past I've used my ipod, so I dunno what to do here. Am I boned? Are there any plug-n-play Delco CD units that will read burned cd's? Maybe I should just go with an aftermarket HU?

Any help is appreciated. As you can see, I'm new to the forum. I'm new to the W-body world as well, as I've been a B-body guy in the past. This is actually the first car I've ever owned that wasn't RWD and V8.

Also sample with brands, I have so many DVD players that won't even read DVD's, look on the spindle, and if it says United Emarites (sp??) or China, don't buy Tawain is usually good. I buy Fuji's I think, I'll check when I get home, they come from a variety of sources although 50-packs are usually the right country. 100-packs not so much, I'm not kidding, this is probably the single biggest problem factor for these things.

Also sample with brands, I have so many DVD players that won't even read DVD's, look on the spindle, and if it says United Emarites (sp??) or China, don't buy Tawain is usually good. I buy Fuji's I think, I'll check when I get home, they come from a variety of sources although 50-packs are usually the right country. 100-packs not so much, I'm not kidding, this is probably the single biggest problem factor for these things.

That only works if you replace the flux capacitor and the planetary overrider solenoid actuator assemblies!

If its not playing CD-Rs try cleaning the lens. Sometimes factory radios dont like CD-Rs especially if they are getting worn out. you can try cleaning the lens. If that doesnt work i would just replace with an aftermarket unit that you can play your ipod through. Much easier then dealing with tons of CDs.

A lot of times it is NOT the player that is the problem, rather the CD-R is recorded at too fast a bit rate, if you slow down the bit-rate when recording you should have no problems playing CD-R's

F all that stuff.

Get a Griffin iTrip Universal. Works with any MP3 player. Has a USB port to charge it, too. If you search on Amazon you'll find them for under $10. It plays through the FM radio. I use this in all three of my vehicles (it stays attached to my MP3 player).

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-7255-TRIPAUNI-Itrip-Universal/dp/B000IMSGC4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281901096&sr=8-5

$7.99 free shipping. Other sellers charge less for the item but more for shipping. It's all the same. $8 and it hasn't failed me yet in any vehicle with any MP3 player, including Shuffles, Nanos, eMatics, ChiPods, and more.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that these cd players weren't meant to play cd-r's, however the 2002+ cd players will play them without a problem.

My brother has a late 90's pontiac stereo in his car that always played his burned cd's perfectly but whenever I tried any of mine I always got e23 or the other error code. If I got lucky it would start to actually play the cd, but if i tried to skip a track or something it popped it right back out. I could use my same cd though in a 2002 chevy stereo and it worked perfectly. It also worked in a 99 montana with the remote cd player.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that these cd players weren't meant to play cd-r's, however the 2002+ cd players will play them without a problem.

My brother has a late 90's pontiac stereo in his car that always played his burned cd's perfectly but whenever I tried any of mine I always got e23 or the other error code. If I got lucky it would start to actually play the cd, but if i tried to skip a track or something it popped it right back out. I could use my same cd though in a 2002 chevy stereo and it worked perfectly. It also worked in a 99 montana with the remote cd player.

Not to Hijack, I got a 98 Lumina, I have been looking for a stock HU to play CD's, can anyone help me out? I don't trust Ebay, I got owned on a Stock HU from 'em

Oh and my Yard doesn't have any......there already pulled.

Edited by dodgethis

Like most of the people have said here, clean the lens and laser. Home burnt CD's are burnt with a special laser, with more shallow "engravings." Professionally mastered CD's have physically "deeper engravements" (aka easier to read with a dirty system).

Just to update this... I took the advice of some forum members and took the HU apart and cleaned the lens. I used iso alcohol and a q-tip. I put everything back together and now it works perfect. It plays all cd's, even the cheap cd-r's. Thanks, folks!

dodgethis, those CD players my buddy rebuilds and sells (well he replaces all of the bulbs so they work because usually they blow out). If you are interested I can talk to him to see if he has any left. He is fixing one of mine right now, actually.

Btw, this is the type I am talking about...

100_3058.jpg

dodgethis, those CD players my buddy rebuilds and sells (well he replaces all of the bulbs so they work because usually they blow out). If you are interested I can talk to him to see if he has any left. He is fixing one of mine right now, actually.

Btw, this is the type I am talking about...

100_3058.jpg

Let me get home, Work computer wont let me see photo, You know im thinking about taking the head unit apart and cleaning the lens like he did above. If it doesn't work i'll will definetly look you up.

BTW, what pin or setup is being used to power the HU without being hooked into the car, i see this alot on the ebay website all the time. Anyone know?

100_3058.jpg

I saw a couple of those but I picked the Pontiac unit just because of the EQ. Anyone know how the two units compare as far as tech specs? Do they put out the same wattage, etc?

Just in case anyone is curious, the Pontiac stereos don't bolt up 100% properly with the Lumina dash trim. It bolts up, but the Pontiac unit mounts about 1/4" higher than the stock Chevy unit, so there is a very small gap between the bottom of the head unit and the trim piece. It doesn't really bother me, though.