95-99 Monte Carlo Z34 Manual 5-Speed Swap Page

Danspeed1

Alright,

So today I decided I wanted to pull everything I have so far out and take a closer look at it. My parts are all really ratty but I think they are going to work. One thing I just noticed which is kind of bothering me is that there is a tube which looks like a dipstick tube leading into the inside of the trans. I know the last guy had this thing outside because is covered in grass and dirt. I wonder what the inside of this trans looks like??? On the up side The input shaft and axle shafts spin freely. I think I may need some new axle shaft seals,... not quite sure where to get those. I also feel like I am missing a clutch fork... again I do mostly RWD work and its slightly different.

Take a look at what I have... feel free to post comments, advise, and tips. I know this unit is not serviceable however there must be some "refresher" stuff I should do to it?

DG

1995ImpalaSS001.jpg

1995ImpalaSS002.jpg

1995ImpalaSS003.jpg

1995ImpalaSS004.jpg

1995ImpalaSS005.jpg

1995ImpalaSS006.jpg

I know I am going to need to remove my dash. Unlike the lumina's and older gp's I have air bags. Does anyone one know how I can safely remove and reinstall them?

DG

Make the the battery is diconnected. Wait 30mins for the capacitors in the airbag ECU to discharge.

Remove in a careful manner and lay facing up whereever they will sit for a bit. Keep from static discharge as well.

They arent that volitile, just be careful with them.

i hope you realize thats not a getrag 284 trans

more so, that is a cavalier/ jbody (cav/ sunbird) 282 trans, congrats, i do feel bad but you have already failed

not even remotly the same and will not work, you have the corect axles, and some other stuff but that trans doesnt even use the same spline count for the clutch or axles, mounting is different (that dog bone up front)

the clutch is a push style while the 284 is push style,

Edited by kuntzie

sorry bud,

good thing you posted pics before you started stripping your car down, because at that point i actually would have laughed and then taunted you with pictures of my 284 collection

What did I do? Better that he find out now then once his car is torn all apart.

no reason to give up and leave, sell that and hunt down a 284.

to me in any rate it looks as though it is a w-body 282. I don't know them well enough to say for sure, that said IF it is a w-body 282 just buy 282 shift cables, axles and most everything else should be interchangeable, the clutch master will work, pedels etc. plus you have cheaper clutch options with a 282.

to me in any rate it looks as though it is a w-body 282. I don't know them well enough to say for sure, that said IF it is a w-body 282 just buy 282 shift cables, axles and most everything else should be interchangeable, the clutch master will work, pedels etc. plus you have cheaper clutch options with a 282.

No, its not a w-body 282. Im pretty sure its an N-body trans (Achieva) . The clutch throwout is a pull style, whereas the wbody 282 is a push style. The lower trans mount (dogbone looking thing) is a dead givaway its not a w-body.

HAHAHAHA

I am going to disappear as previously mentioned.... and go buy a g-body... peace

DG

Cool I just did this earlier this year on my green gp. If you need anyhelp let me know.

seems he would rather flake out at the first sign of trouble.:confused:

ill sell you a 284 if needed

PM me with a price. I have been looking for one online but I haven't had a day to really devote to it. I've been working alot of hours.

Any chance I can sell this 282?

DG

I found a link on google where someone did a 282 swap, but If I remember correctly the gearing is not beneficial for my 3.4

In any event at least now I know a 5 speed does actually fit onto a monte.

DG