Need location/pic request for PCM vent

jman093

For awhile now (almost 2 years) I've been fighting a problem with the PCM freaking out in the summertime after an hour or so of driving. Today I was working on the car after running errands and quite by accident found the PCM is getting ridiculously hot when I burned myself on it. I subsequently found the vent to the box that encloses the PCM dangling behind the bumper. I need to know exactly where this clips so it gets the airflow it's supposed to.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. This is only present on 1996 (OBDII) GP's. 1995 won't have it. Sorry if these are huge pictures.

DSC00397.jpg

Here's the same thing for another view. This one is from a 96 Z34. That bracket behind the headlight where it mounts isn't present on GP's.

DSC00398.jpg

Edited by jman093

weird.... i never knew they needed the extra cooling... this help?

i would almost want to stick a 12V fan from a computer in there to help it some. just have it trigger on with the ignition.

fznsK.png

weird.... i never knew they needed the extra cooling... this help?

i would almost want to stick a 12V fan from a computer in there to help it some. just have it trigger on with the ignition.

Thanks, That drawing though is kind of a simplified representation. You can't just hang it on the core support like the parts diagram seems to suggest because the bumper goes over and around it and miniquads are below it. I need an actual photo or good description.

Good idea on the fan. Do those computer box fans run off 12 volts? If remounting that duct helps I might do that, cut a hole in the plastic case and mount it on the outside to pull air out of the case because you don't want it blowing the hot underhood air into there.

Edited by jman093

you can run those fans off of any voltage(they'll pull the same amps, but with a lower voltage, they'll just spin slower), but most are rated for their CFM and noise levels at 12 volts.

Air temps in the engine bay are not enough to burn your hand. He said he got burnt from touching the pcm so the cooler engine bay air can only be a good thing. Besides theres a ton of more room for that hot air to move away from the pcm. Especially with the belt spinning right next to it.