Burning Hot Window Motor!

Artemis

So pretty much exactly last year I replaced my window motor because the old one was toast. The new one worked well until the last month or so it started being inconsistent. So, still under warranty I decided to replace it once again on Monday. Everything was working well. Yesterday I was driving home from work and noticed a burning smell... thought it might be coming from under the hood. Tried to roll up the windows and the drivers side (one I replaced) wouldn't go up! I still hadn't had time to put the door panel back on so I had easy access, wanted to see if maybe the harness was unplugged. Well, needless to say the motor was piping hot and actually burned my hand quite badly. I removed it and am getting a replacement.

What could cause this to happen? Especially after 1 day of use! I'm concerned that something else is wrong and i'll just kill the replacement.

is your switch sticking at all? if its sticking in the down position that could cause that.

Doesn't appear to be sticking... BUT, I did use the one click to move the window all the way down. I suppose it could have kept trying to go down.

That's what I'm thinking... a problem with the auto down.

Just a side note... I've only ever gotten the auto down to work in my car once, but i think that might be because the window is usually of the track... and is currently sealed shut and remaining that way until i get the parts for it.

Well, just grabbed another replacement (for free ofcourse) and hopefully I can test it tonight. I just hope there's not something else causing it. Is there any way it could possibly have been installed incorrectly?

There's a retarded clip that is supposed to hold the switch down and then release when it hits the bottom.

It doesn't release on the older cars.

You have two choices.

1.) Break it off - the clip on the switch to kill the auto-down feature - Dr. Phil did this to original AJAM, worked like a charm, and then original AJAM had her door bashed in and I had to revert to option #2 since I was too lazy to fix it again.

2.) When you put your window down all of the way when it hits the bottom, click the button for up for a split sec.

When the motor overheats it will stop working because it's been working too much trying to force a window down that's already there, after a very short while (in my experience) they start working again after that - which can deceive you into thinking that there's an intermitent problem.

the window motors are supposed to have a circuit breaker built in to prevent issues. basically the breaker pops and until it cools enough the motor is disabled.

let me ask... where are you getting these window motors from? China?

the window motors are supposed to have a circuit breaker built in to prevent issues. basically the breaker pops and until it cools enough the motor is disabled.

let me ask... where are you getting these window motors from? China?

Rebuilt from Napa.