1997-2003 four door window switch repair

Addicted to eaton

So lets get right to the point. Who likes a write up if it does not have pictures? Not me!

Does any of your windows go down but not up?

Does any of your windows go up but not down?

My problem was that my drivers side window would roll down But not up! So I was not about to fork out 80$ for a new switch. Call me crazy But I wasn’t going to pay 40$ for a switch that might do the same problem. Call me a Penny pincher if you must. So lets get started.

Take the switch out of the car. And place it on the table!

S6300166.jpg

Next pop the plastic pieces off the switch that you press to roll the window down. Then turn the switch over and wedge a small flat head screw driver in-between the black plastic casing and the white switch, and get the black plastic off of the Switch “guts†Next you will see this.

S6300160.jpg

There are now 4 clear plastic peaces where the switch snaps on to

S6300159.jpg

The clear peaces are held on by 2 pivot points And snap out

S6300163.jpg

Next you will see to metal pieces under where the plastic was, Mine where charged black. This is after cleaning the, (I used hot water and q-tips) Pop the metal pices out and clean them, There are also to contact point under each switch, Clean them two

S6300162.jpg

Put de-electric grease on them. And put the metal piece where they were, snap the clear plastic piece back on

Re-assemble and enjoy your new working window switch!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thank you thank you thank you Addicted-to-eaton. Whoever thinks you are a penny-pincher is an idiot. I followed your instruction and got my stuck window working again!! My problem however was not the dirty contact. Each clear plastic piece has a ball (plastic white)-shaped point at the bottom that works like a lever. Mine was worn out. I knew it was some mechanical problem because when I operate the switch, it didn't spring back like it should. I considered glue a small piece of plastic to it, but before doing that, I simply swapped one piece with another (the plastic piece for the driver side window with the plastic piece for the passenger side window) and it solved the problem. Don't ask me how a worn-out part works on the other side. It will probably cause problem again, but now I know how to get at it to fix it. Thanks again.

• 9 years later...
On 6/23/2010 at 6:52 AM, Addicted to eaton said:

So lets get right to the point. Who likes a write up if it does not have pictures? Not me!

Does any of your windows go down but not up?

Does any of your windows go up but not down?

My problem was that my drivers side window would roll down But not up! So I was not about to fork out 80$ for a new switch. Call me crazy But I wasn’t going to pay 40$ for a switch that might do the same problem. Call me a Penny pincher if you must. So lets get started.

Take the switch out of the car. And place it on the table!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Anthonykw/w-body/S6300166.jpg

Next pop the plastic pieces off the switch that you press to roll the window down. Then turn the switch over and wedge a small flat head screw driver in-between the black plastic casing and the white switch, and get the black plastic off of the Switch “guts†Next you will see this.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Anthonykw/w-body/S6300160.jpg

There are now 4 clear plastic peaces where the switch snaps on to

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Anthonykw/w-body/S6300159.jpg

The clear peaces are held on by 2 pivot points And snap out

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Anthonykw/w-body/S6300163.jpg

Next you will see to metal pieces under where the plastic was, Mine where charged black. This is after cleaning the, (I used hot water and q-tips) Pop the metal pices out and clean them, There are also to contact point under each switch, Clean them two

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Anthonykw/w-body/S6300162.jpg

Put de-electric grease on them. And put the metal piece where they were, snap the clear plastic piece back on

Re-assemble and enjoy your new working window switch!

Does or will this repair procedure work for the [power door lock switch}   for a 4 door Cutlass Supreme SL  1997?  

Thanks in advance!!