I found one of the actuall Pace Cars.

K_Watson

I was at a local repair shop and I spotted an all gold Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I got out and checked it out and I spotted a Quad 4 HO through the hood vents. This car had "Indy Car World Series Official Pace Car" on the side. It had a real light bar on the roll bar, strobes, 4 two tone black/tan leather bucket seats, a crude looking heads-up display bolted to the dash, and many switches and lights not on a normal Cutlass. I'm pretty sure this was THE pace car for that and maybe other races. I read online that most of the 50 actual Cutlass pace cars were destroyed and that only about 10 survive. Also this car DID NOT have a VIN so i have no idea of the year, but a copy of an old magazine on the web says this car should be from the 1993 Indy Car World Series.

The repair shop did not let me take a picture but after reading how rare it is I will go back and try to get one anyway.

It's probably that same one that's been on ebay numerous times before. I think Ken was the one who went to look at it. He has a bunch of pics I think

Its probably one of less then 50

there were 50 pace car convertible replicas

There were far less of the real deal. Was it black? Did it even have a convertible top? manual transmission? Turbocharged? What did the seats look like?

I would probably respect the owners decision to not let pictures be taken, however I would try to chat him up more about it.

i think I have a bunch of pics of it on my home computer. I will see if I can dig them up.

I think it WAS an official pace car that he customized. It was almost the same shade of gold that my 1988 Cutlass Supreme is.

Almost this shade:

1988ext.jpg

YOUR LOCATION????????????????? WHERE DID YOU SEE THIS?????? (and welcome to the site, btw?) WAS IT A STICK?

What you describe matches VERY closely to a car I have fully documented. What you have seen is a CONVERSION of a real pacecar, and not one of the 250 replicas... and SPECIFICALLY... the ROLLBAR was added ONLY to the RACING PACE CARS, not the SHOW PACE CARS.

clarification of vehilces:

pace cars:

1 test mule TECH 4 manual transmission

1 barrier certification test vehicle

2-5 REAL PACE CARS quad 4, pie wheels, real rollbar, amber lights all over, hood vent

2-5 SHOW pace cars no rollbar, pie wheel

parade cars: (250 total)

200 coupes crosslace wheels

50 conversion convertibles crosslace wheels

The VIN NUMBER is on a manufactor's tag under the hood on the core support, as the car was a hand built vehicle it only got a blank tag with the gm logoing on it in the dash. The only thing that sound different is the logo on the side(but could attributed to memory). But here... let me try this: Look at the album and images I am linking to. Tell ME if it is the same.

88_OLDSMOBILE_CUTLASS_CONVERTIBLE.jpg

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/1988pacecar/PPG%20Pace%20Car/

LOOK AT THE SUB ALBUMS TOO!

I Got two pictures of it.

(Sorry I'm a little clumsy, I'm not used to this forum's style of post/reply views.)

I can't say where I found it, but I'll tell you it's in Indiana. One guy at the shop said it's not a turbo, but I didn't actually see the engine bay.

It looks exactly like the one Crazy K posted a picture of.

It is a manual. It has a roll bar with lights, It does have a hood vent. The VIN tag in the window is blank like you said it would be.

I could not find an actual top, where it should be is covered by a plastic deck as you can see. Does it even have one?

post-5061-143689042851_thumb.jpg

Sorry this one's blurry

post-5061-143689042847_thumb.jpg

Edited by K_Watson

It is one and the same car that I posted. the PPG car was a definite one off, with not another made like it. Prior to being gold the car was red, though this was after being pacecar black/dark silver but before the facelift. the front fenders (and probably the rest of the 92+ parts) came from a blue car, as evidenced by the un-repainted lower fender. May i ask if it is still in Indianpolis? It was supposedly moved to a garage 1/2 mile south of the speedway. I notice the plates... makes me wonder if he got it legal. The car has no top at all, and was a real pacecar with a permanent rollbar in place. the cover that came with the car at the auction is still in the car in the front seat. If you were to get a chance, the VIN is on the core support on the drivers front.

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

The engine and tranny in the car are not the originals it had when it was a pacecar, nor is the pacecar engine the original engine that car was equipped with when it was made.

it has a High Output Quad 4 with a 5 speed getreg transmission, basically the engine/tranny option that was used only in 1990 CSs. Note that I documented the firewall plate was from 1989(?) meaning it was changed to accommodate the conversion from automatic to manual.

As a pacecar it had a forced induction system(which I still do not know anything about) on a quad 4 with a 3 speed automatic transmission.

As built originally the car had a 2.8 based on the VIN and the fact that the mounting holes used by the 2.8(and 3.1)in the core support are tapped/threaded having previously been used.

Edited by Crazy K

• 4 weeks later...

Well I do know the gent that bought this car at Mecom and it will be restored to 88 pace car trim in the future. We are looking for the fascia and air dam and the rest of the trim to put it back in 88 form. I'm hoping to photograph it later this week and assess what it needs.

• 5 months later...

Shouldn't have gotten on the streets. Generally for the 500 there are 50 cars total. Or maybe 53, because 3 are the actual pace cars, maybe only 2? Olds paced 11 or so Indy 500's. I have driven a 1988, it had the 2.8L and wouldn't get out of it's own way. I won't even mention the cowl shake. These were all boght back from the customers and scrapped for safety reasons. The actual 93 Pace cars probably had a SC Quad 4. The other 50 probably 3.4L. No vin, means not title, no drive. See if they would donate it to the Olds Museum in Lansing, MI? I worked for Olds div from 87 to 99 when gm reorganized the field. I even found a 88 pace car at a dealer and nobody from Olds even knew it was there. What a temptation to tell them I would get rid of it. Had been setting from 88 to 93. But anyway, off to the scrapper. Hope this helps

• 8 months later...

Don't you also own 2 older Olds Pace Car that were featured on TV? I heard you were looking for a 1988 Cutlass Supreme Pace Car front air dam to restore this car back to original, it is ONE of the Pace Cars!

If I remember right, the guy in the TV show was Joe S. ?

Edited by 1988PhantomFE3

• 2 years later...

Old News? More like OLDS NEWS!

This Pace Car wound up back in the Public's Hands, thru a Dealership. Someone contacted me today, thru our wonderful W Body site.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens with her...I'm not too keen on taking Grandpa's TRIBUTE Car apart just to get a NON VIN'd, non licensed, non SAFE, non street legal, non insurable, ACTUAL #2 1988 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car...

OH THE PAIN...

Talk to me gang! PLEASE! Seriously!

should I save her?

Save it! If i can hel find parts lemme kno lotta cs in jy round here :)

Old News? More like OLDS NEWS!

This Pace Car wound up back in the Public's Hands, thru a Dealership. Someone contacted me today, thru our wonderful W Body site.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens with her...I'm not too keen on taking Grandpa's TRIBUTE Car apart just to get a NON VIN'd, non licensed, non SAFE, non street legal, non insurable, ACTUAL #2 1988 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car...

OH THE PAIN...

Talk to me gang! PLEASE! Seriously!

should I save her?