I found one of the actuall Pace Cars.

K_Watson

I have to call back the Sales Rep tomorrow, got a voice mail from him today.

Luke, you can buy her if she's in your heart, I don't stop anybody elses dreams...ever!

Jay, as soon as Luke restores her..."I'll go steal her and come to your place!"

I'll keep you all posted on this Beauty!

Ken, When you touched her, did she have a 3 speed trans? And as I'm sure you noticed, she has the special hood piece. Was she a Turbo Quad 4 ever? I love her Corvette Door Handles, what a switch from the ones we have that break every few years!

Ken, When you touched her, did she have a 3 speed trans? And as I'm sure you noticed, she has the special hood piece. Was she a Turbo Quad 4 ever? I love her Corvette Door Handles, what a switch from the ones we have that break every few years!

That hood piece is from a 1980s Dodge Daytona.

Cars001.jpg

here are the albums of pictures that I took.

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/1988pacecar/library/PPG%20Pace%20Car?sort=3&page=1

car originally had a 2.8, per the VIN, and the radiator core support has the holes where 2.8/3.1/3100 dogbone mounted would have gone.

Once turned into a "race" pace car it would have had the turbocharged high output quad 4 with a 3 speed auto.

after being a pace car, they must have used it as a mule or something, where it was converted to a regular quad 4 with a 5 speed manual transmission. the firewall plate tha would be changed to install the manual transmission is dated 1989...

here are the albums of pictures that I took.

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/1988pacecar/library/PPG%20Pace%20Car?sort=3&page=1

car originally had a 2.8, per the VIN, and the radiator core support has the holes where 2.8/3.1/3100 dogbone mounted would have gone.

Once turned into a "race" pace car it would have had the turbocharged high output quad 4 with a 3 speed auto.

after being a pace car, they must have used it as a mule or something, where it was converted to a regular quad 4 with a 5 speed manual transmission. the firewall plate tha would be changed to install the manual transmission is dated 1989...

Thank MAN!

I figured as such, just like the info I have been gathering.

She also served as a Pace Car at IRP, this is what was posted about her recently...

"I worked at Indianapolis Raceway Park from 1989 until 2009. I was there when they had close ties to the Motor Speedway. We were given an '88 Cutlass Supreme for free. For obvious reasons. That car would go on to pace races and pull the event stage for about 8 years(PPG). We never even put the top up on it. It was as ugly as could be, but never let us down. Look at old photos from IRP and you will see that car. I can remember getting in after a rain storm and there was 3" of water in the back seat. We were not allowed to take it off of the property because it was so un-roadworthy that it could not be insured."

Only 3" of water in the back seat? I can do better than that and add about 8' of snow up here in Washington State! LOL!

Curious about the TOP this guy mentions...HHHMMMMMMM

Find a picture of the car he talks about? He may not be talking about this car, but rather one of the 50 real convertible parade cars. I know I saw a picture of one parade car convertible with re-lettered sides that apparently served just such a purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...