PanamaZ34

OK, this month's stupid question from the mechanically inept .....

I finally got the rear cylinder head off (had to grind through 2 manifold studs and one of the torx head screws from the timing-belt back-plate, which is why it took so long), and I'm not too happy with what I found!

The front pistons and cylinders had some carbon build-up, but were otherwise clean, the rear ones have evidence of coolant leaks - lots of dried white and yellow crap like that clogging all the water-channels.

So, do I need to rebuild the block as well, or can I get away with cleaning the crap out (vacuum cleaner and toothbrush seems like the best bet)? Any expert advice gratefully received!

You should be fine just cleaning it out.

When you have it put back together, do some hard WOT runs. An italian tuneup of sorts. Drive the shit out of it to heat the engine, break some of that crud loose. I would also run some seafoam in there if you can get that stuff where you live to help clean out the crud. If you don't have piston damage, you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks ...... I was actually thinking today, and it may all just be my natural paranoia :laugh:

The front cylinder head came off cleanly, I was wrestling with the rear for so long that I probably dislodged the gunk and caused it to fall into the cylinders myself!

Thanks ...... I was actually thinking today, and it may all just be my natural paranoia :laugh:

The front cylinder head came off cleanly, I was wrestling with the rear for so long that I probably dislodged the gunk and caused it to fall into the cylinders myself!

Yeah, that's very probable. You should have seen the jag engine pistons I had. The engine overheated, the valve seat dropped, the piston bashed against the valve, shattered the valve seat, and bashed the valve seat shards into the aluminum head, and kept beating the shards in, leaving dents in the piston crown. Now THAT'S piston problem.