TGP VIN database - website inside!

mfewtrail

So glad I could help out on this awesome project! Just out of curiosity, did you run any of the serial number range through the latest version of the program I sent you? It had some pretty basic but untested code to try and recover from connection timeouts, though if the page half-loads for some reason it is still possible for the connection to hang up and potentially skip a VIN check.

I also may have found a way around the HTTPS/SSL issue. I need some time to mess with it but there's software that will act as a proxy and allow me to view the pages over a non-secure channel. I already have another version of the VIN tool which will scrape the results pages for number of records and such. Hopefully I can get that figured out before you guys dive back in, who knows what kind of time it could shave off the search for those elusive 7 VINS.

I used the version hardcoded for the TGP's. By hangups, I meant that the program would pause momentarily and then recover. Carfax's site had a habit of doing this at random even when I was searching manually. I witnessed this on a few occasions when watching it run. When it would hang completely, I restarted it a few vins before the one it hung at. Since there are 2,742 found, I think it did a great job of finding them. It's still possible that *I* am to blame for the missing cars. I'm going to start checking the list again later. With my current method of scanning through the vins, it's not *that* time consuming. Excel highlights the duplicates for me covering multiple check digits. The rest I use the keyboard shortcut for the find command to go through. I'll time myself when I get around to doing the TSTE list. I was previously going through the list manually scanning through the vins like an idiot. :lol:

Got bored, off work tomorrow so I'm up late. Figured out I'm a retard and could have saved you a lot of time. The full record page does indeed require SSL, but it looks like the redirect page has the record count hardcoded as a parameter, so I can skim the data straight from there! You should send me that master list you mentioned, this program is stupid quick.

MlHxyGk.png

• 3 months later...

There is a compilation of the G8 GXPs. I own one of those as well as the TGPs. It is nice to see a list of the cars and were yours is in relation to the other cars when built. Great work to those who put forth the effort to do this. NOT EASY !!!

Your pm went through and I responded. I've been a lot busier lately and haven't felt like devoting much time to this. I can email anyone interested a rudimentary copy of what I have so far though.

I need to go through my last "set" of numbers I pulled and see if I can locate any missing ones. If not, then I'm going to give up at this point and just make an excel spreadsheet of all the cars I have thus far. 2,742 is a lot better than anything anyone has compiled on them thus far. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'll send you both an email very soon. I'm going to randomly spend a few minutes here and there on the list. I want to make sure I've not added any "fake" cars before I get a version of it online.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1G5WP14V4LF235267

Black/Sunroof/Tan Leather/Tape

95,980 miles

Built 10/1989

My other one burned with 153,800 on it. It was hauled away to the crusher Monday.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

1G5WP14V5LF251381 - Black w/ tan leather, tape, and sunroof. This one is a goner. It's in a PullAPart yard near Atlanta. I got some stuff off of it and might go back for more later this week.

1G5WP14V5LF269945

at

NW Auto Recyclers Lake Stevens

Lake Stevens, WA 98258

red, tan, CD, leather, sunroof, also has California emissions.

1G5WP14V5LF269945

at

NW Auto Recyclers Lake Stevens

Lake Stevens, WA 98258

red, tan, CD, leather, sunroof, also has California emissions.

847d46c3-268a-4305-a8c3-63851f111aba.jpg

*This is a cross-post from the TGPForums*

As most of you know, I've been actively collecting vin numbers from owners for a few years now. This method of building a vin database is painfully slow, I often receive incorrect information, and a lot of owners aren't even willing to give out their vin numbers(like I can do anything with only a VIN :laugh:). Recently, I started a different approach to vin collecting. I've been going through VIN's manually using c@rfax's website. This is very tedious, but way quicker than waiting around for TGP's to show up for sale. Also, this method will allow me to find TGP's that are no longer around for whatever reason. Since I own 1990 coupes, I started with those first. After four months of occasionally going through vin numbers, I've added probably 150+ new vins to my list. With the old method, I was lucky to add 1-2 TGP's a month. I have almost 14% of the 1990's coupes documented so far.

Now about the site. I have been going through vins in sequence from the beginning of GP production(vins ending in 200,000). So far, I've only listed the ones I've been able to number in sequence. I know some of you have noticed the number that I gave to my Black TGP in my sig ;) This number is not official by any means. The car is number 101 in sequence, but I'm not certain if it is #101 in actual build order as I do not have enough information to make that claim. I'm assuming a lot when it comes to my vin list. One such thing is that I will be able to find every 1990 TGP produced. Every car should have at least 1 record with car fax as far as I'm aware. I guess when I finish up the project I will see if that assumption is correct if I end up with the 2,749 TGP's coupes that were stated to be made(compnine website lists that many by the LG5 rpo code, and other sources have quoted that very same figure, so I believe it to be accurate).

Here's the website: http://home.windstream.net/mfewtrail/1990_TGP_coupe_vins.html

It's better viewed in internet explorer for me. Firefox kinda shrinks up the page a bit for whatever reason, but it's still easily viewable there. IE displays it how it displays on my computer. I threw that list together quickly the other night, so there may be some errors I need to correct. After I error check the page and finish error checking my entire 1990 coupe VIN document, I will be updating the site with the other 240 or so '90 coupe vins I have. They will not be assigned numbers for now as it will take me a long time to figure out what number each of them is in the production sequence.

A link to that site will be placed in my sig and I'll probably sticky this thread for future reference.

I have three 1990's. I have no trouble sharing the information. I'll make up a list of the Vin's and details and send them along.

I have three 1990's. I have no trouble sharing the information. I'll make up a list of the Vin's and details and send them along.

Thanks. :thumbsup: I mostly need option information for the cars at this point. I have almost all of them on my list now except the last 7 that I've yet to uncover. I need to set aside some time to get them all in a document, and then upload it to share online soon. I hope to be able to do that around the end of this month...

• 4 months later...

Red mirrors! If someone still has contact with Jim, they should email him about that one since he's in WA. Considering there have been two at that place, I'm wondering if they were his cars...

• 1 month later...
Wow, amazingly complete. Valance, vacuum clip, intake and side cover. That one needs saved.

Don't forget BATTERY COVER!

Someone better save that one. 80K miles!. Vacuum brake swapped too, so that's a bonus for some. I'm curious about what's actually wrong with it as it doesn't appear to be wrecked. I bet it would clean up pretty well.

I wonder what it will go for.

~2660 miles from me. If this was a few states over and they allowed me to bid, I would at least attempt to get it....

Edited by mfewtrail