• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carkhz316

• Addicted to eaton

• Dark Ride

• AL

I've been seeing on some sites that you can't reuse the rocker arm bolts, yet everywhere I've looked, they don't exist as a replacement part. Anyone reuse them by just torqueing properly???

I have always reused them and never had a problem... Can you post where they said to replace them?

This is one, though I can't remember where else I saw it: http://mymonte.com/discussion/topic/29419-top-swap-info-and-faqs-also-lots-of-3800-info/

Hmm. Didn't think of looking there. Thanks for the link. I saw that they had the TTY ones listed as "GM bolts". So they are a dealership part then huh?

8 is a idler, i have an extra.

3 is a tensioner And i also have a spare.

9 is a pedestal Pulley, It bolts the the side of the block I do not have an extra.

Now that I think of it, I know I have the pedestal pulley, cuz there is one still bolted to my donor block. Also, I was looking at where it would bolt onto my L36, and there's already bolts just threaded into the holes. :think: I know I unbolted a extra seperate tensioner assembly from the coil pack bracket. So that just leaves that one idler that I'm not sure about. Might have to buy one or two of yours if mine are bad.

Also, I noticed that the coolant tube/ tensioner/ alternator bracket is different between the donor one and mine. I did a quick test fit of all of my brackets and whatnot and it looks like I use my old setup off my L36, but theres a bracket that bolts onto the rear head near the EGR that doesn't have one of the two bolt holes tapped for this horseshoe shaped bracket. Another bracket bolts to that which bolts to the back side of the alty, essentially performing as a radius arm. After some thinkinng, I thought that I may get away with just bolting the one bolt in to hold the U-shaped bracket down. What are your thoughts?

Now that I think of it, I know I have the pedestal pulley, cuz there is one still bolted to my donor block. Also, I was looking at where it would bolt onto my L36, and there's already bolts just threaded into the holes. :think: I know I unbolted a extra seperate tensioner assembly from the coil pack bracket. So that just leaves that one idler that I'm not sure about. Might have to buy one or two of yours if mine are bad.

Also, I noticed that the coolant tube/ tensioner/ alternator bracket is different between the donor one and mine. I did a quick test fit of all of my brackets and whatnot and it looks like I use my old setup off my L36, but theres a bracket that bolts onto the rear head near the EGR that doesn't have one of the two bolt holes tapped for this horseshoe shaped bracket. Another bracket bolts to that which bolts to the back side of the alty, essentially performing as a radius arm. After some thinkinng, I thought that I may get away with just bolting the one bolt in to hold the U-shaped bracket down. What are your thoughts?

If you use the coil bracket from the l67 (you have too) because it is different (that’s where idler Number 8 Bolts on to.

Then remove the bolts and install the pedestal pulley, The tensionor for the supercharger goes onto the Coil bracket too IIRC,

in 1997 and 1998 Alternator brackets were different, Use the one with the alternator your using. I prefer the 97/98 Because it eliminates one of the plastic water connectors.

The Bracket that has the horse shoe looking thing that goes around the EGR Bolts in to the supercharger and one Down on the back, One on the back by the TB.

If you use the coil bracket from the l67 (you have too) because it is different (that’s where idler Number 8 Bolts on to.

Then remove the bolts and install the pedestal pulley, The tensionor for the supercharger goes onto the Coil bracket too IIRC,

in 1997 and 1998 Alternator brackets were different, Use the one with the alternator your using. I prefer the 97/98 Because it eliminates one of the plastic water connectors.

The Bracket that has the horse shoe looking thing that goes around the EGR Bolts in to the supercharger and one Down on the back, One on the back by the TB.

"coolant tube/ tensioner/ alternator bracket"

Use L67 parts for these and remember, you will be using L67 heads as they are different

What I meant by that was that I was referring to the one bracket assembly that the alty bolts to that has the plastic coolant elbow(s) in it is different between the my two engines, which Addicted to Eaton has mentioned is a difference in years. My car and L36 is 98; where my L67 donor is from a 99 GP.

Didn't realize that about the coil pack bracket. Now it makes sense.

Ya I really want to use my L36/ 98 alty cuz it was brand new as of ~1 year ago. Don't much feel like dropping another $170 for another alty

And in regards to the U/ horseshoe bracket, I may have to take a pic of it. It's the one that bolts into the heads. The lower intake has cutouts to go around the two bolts. This bracket bolts to the intake side of the heads and lays over the front of the rear valve cover and has a long straight bracket that bolts to that, which in turn bolts to the backside of my 98 alty. I hope this makes sense

Nope not those. I know which ones you're talking about. Not the two for lifting the engine up. I'll take a pic tomorrow of what I'm talking about. And no offense taken. We just need to figure out what we're both thinking of

Alright. First is the difference in the tensioner assemblies.

Second is the thing I'm talking about. The extra bracket that bolts to the rear head and and bolts to the back of my 98 and earlier style atly. Where it bolts to the head, there is only one hole tapped, which is the one closer to the EGR. Can I get away with only on bolt holding this bracket to the head?

post-3334-143689051316_thumb.jpg

post-3334-143689051327_thumb.jpg

Edited by carkhz316

This is where she is at as of the other night, though I have since painted the blower a cast silver color to clean it up (RICCCCEEEEEE) Also, do I need thread lock on the crank balancer bolt? And impact it on alright?

post-3334-14368905134_thumb.jpg

Edited by carkhz316

Oh it fits just fine. And it will because I've already bolted it down. It's just that one of the two spots for bolts to go in the rear head isn't tapped. If it appears to not be holding the bracket assembly sufficiently with just one bolt, I'll tap the other hole. But let me ask you this, how would I use any of my tensioner assembly/ alty bracket and alternator if this part is integral to my alternator design? I have to use all or none of it, and if I don't, then I've have to get a new alternator as well. But yeah, thank you for the heads up. Makes sense as to why that hole isn't tapped.

But on the other hand, the stand off idler that bolts to the block in the the front already had bolts in it and everything, which I found out double as coolant drain plugs.