Spring detailing, what are your products of choice?

KingVee

With spring here, we'll all go through the famously known Spring Cleaning which means (or includes) intensive automobile detailing for us car enthusiasts.

Because I never really got hold (and maybe a few others) of many detailing products I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could discuss of products each and everyone uses and adores for specific areas of their cars, and with that help others make a choice when comes time to purchase one they never tried out.

Game?

I know I am looking to know what is everyone's favorite for interior (specially dash and accessories) cleaning/detailing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KingVee

• terryk2003

• WhatTheFehl

• Euro

http://www.armorall.com/

That is what I use on my car to detail it for just about everything.

I don't like using their glass cleaner because it leaves streaks behind.

My dad has taught me to take vinegar and water and mix them and then use newspaper to clean windows. I think it works

better than almost any product you can purchase.

I'm a neat freak when it comes to my car and I like it to look its best when I take it out.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07240.html

You make think your car looks clean, but wait to till you run it over with a clay bar. You will be amazed out how much

small debris can collect in your paint.

Then after you clay bar you should wax it to keep that debris from getting back into your paint.

Armorall Gel for the dash, the other stuff doesn't do anywhere near as nice of a job.

DO NOT USE ARMORALL ON LEATHER SEATS. It is a water base and will ruin them. For my seats I use Mothers Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner

Glass cleaning? I sue RainX on the outside. On the inside I do the vinegar/water and newspaper trick. This works especially well if you are a smoker, or if the previous owner was a smoker (as was my case). It removes the smokey film and makes it a lot easier to clean.

Armorall cleaning wipes for sticky cupholders and buttons

Blue Coral Dri-Clean Foaming Carpet Cleaner for the carpet. Does a freakin' awesome job.

Armorall Glass Cleaning Wipes I use only on mirrors, the gauge cluster, DIC screen, radio screen, etc.

For Exterior:

Blue Coral High Foam wash

Meguiars Hot Rimz All Wheel Cleaner, combined with Greased Lightning Degreaser and a stiff wire brush is AWESOME for cleaning your wheels really well.

Black Magic Titanium Tire Shine

Collinite's No. 845 Insulator Wax is the shizznit. Kinda pricey, but awesome.

Meguiars Quik Detailer is great in-between washes.

Actually, the only good use I have found for Armor All is prettying up your wheel well's. Otherwise, I would NOT let that crap touch anything else on my car.

Aerospace 303 or bust.

Actually, the only good use I have found for Armor All is prettying up your wheel well's. Otherwise, I would NOT let that crap touch anything else on my car.

Aerospace 303 or bust.

150% agreed! Armor all is not for people that are picky about their cars.

I use 3m perfect it compound on a rotory buffer for scratches, meguirs dual action clearner polish to shine, and meguirs wax. I use mostly meguiars products for exterior but I also like mothers. Deffinatly agree on the aerospace protectant for interior and trim. Invisible glass for the windows.

I'm sure Aerospace is good, but I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Armor All is not for people who are picky with their cars. I say this because I AM picky about my car, and have no qualms about using it for my dash. The gel does a nice job, better than any of their sprays. It shines really deep, especially if you use it regularly.

I just bought some Turtle Wax Ice tonight. It's better be good for $14 :lol:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but its not :lol:

At least the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Claybar SUCKS. But we didn't sell very much of the Ice, in fact, we had a lot of customers complain about it...

I'm sure Aerospace is good, but I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Armor All is not for people who are picky with their cars. I say this because I AM picky about my car, and have no qualms about using it for my dash. The gel does a nice job, better than any of their sprays. It shines really deep, especially if you use it regularly.

maybe that wasn't a good way to put it, but to me it seems like most of the really good car care products aren't something you can get at walmart...maybe it just because I hate armor oil. Its just greasy and nasty!

I have used it on the 'vert before and I really was not that impressed.

You're the first bad I've heard about. I have had three others tell me it's good stuff, including the cashier that rung me out :lol:

maybe that wasn't a good way to put it, but to me it seems like most of the really good car care products aren't something you can get at walmart...maybe it just because I hate armor oil. Its just greasy and nasty!

Actually I didn't get my Armor All Gel at Wal-Mart. I bought it at Shop 'n Save, a local grocery store :lol:.

Probably the only slightly obscure non-mainstream car care product I've used that actually was really awesome was the Collinite's No. 845 Insulator Wax.

You're the first bad I've heard about. I have had three others tell me it's good stuff, including the cashier that rung me out :lol:

maybe it just takes a lot to impress me. :lol:

maybe it just takes a lot to impress me. :lol:

No, like I said above, we had a lot of customers complain about it too. I even had a customer take me over to the shelf, point at it, and say "Do you know why you can't sell that stuff? Because it SUCKS!" :lol:

The only good thing about the Ice stuff is it doesn't leave white residue. As a wax though, it's sub par.

Maybe I'll return it then. What would you suggest?

Any other regular type wax is better. I'm not a big detailing/appearance guy so I have no idea what is "good", but even I can tell the ICE stuff doesn't work as well. I think I have some kind of Mother's wax right now.

Any other regular type wax is better. I'm not a big detailing/appearance guy so I have no idea what is "good", but even I can tell the ICE stuff doesn't work as well. I think I have some kind of Mother's wax right now.

I was going to pick up the regular old turtle wax, but didn't.

I've got a large arsenal of Poorboys world products, 3M products and some Meguiars products. Add in my Aztec hot water extractor, commercial carpet cleaners, and some GM Glass cleaner (best stuff I've ever used).. Makes the Impala look pretty good. My next investment needs to be a rotary polisher as the last couple of cars I've detailed proved to be a bit difficult for my Porter Cable DA polisher. Already got a couple of vehicles lined up to detail this spring when I get some free time.

http://www.autogeek.net

thanks for the link LUKE! that is now my new favorite website! lol!

anyways, like i said before, i'm kinda picky about what i use. I think it has alot to do with the fact that i used to work in a auto body shop and do alot of detailing so i'm more into the professional products than the stuff that is available at your local walmart. and, thanks to luke, i can now shop online! w00t!

BTW: if you're looking for a good polisher, the Makita variable speed is very nice! thats what i have and what we used at the body shop i used to work at.

For my interior:

I use Armour All on my vinyl/plastic surfaces, (dash, doors and interior paneling).

For my leather surfaces (seats, shifter, steering wheel, center arm rest), I'm still experimenting, and currently use Simoniz Leather protectant.

For the exterior:

Turtle Wax Platinum Ultra Gloss liquid wax with a 10" orbital buffer 2x a year, for the pre/post-winter detailing.

For between washes and quick details, I use Ice instant detailer spray (awesome shit).

For light dust, (car siting overnight after detailing), I use a California Car Duster.

For Chrome, I'm still experimenting, and currently use Mother's Chrome polish.

For Tires, I use 2 products. For my white walls, I use Simoniz White-Wall tire cleaner, and for the black areas I'm still experimenting, but currently use Eagle1 tire shine.

For Glass, I just use Windex with paper towels.

I go to Petro Canada and use their soft cloth automatic car wash, sometimes I'll go to the local coin wash, but that usually costs more, cause I'm more thorough.

What do you guys use for a sponge when washing? I haven't found a good MIT/sponge that I like yet.

Me neither, and in some way or another mine always gets trashed to where I keep having to buy multiple ones throughout the year. I do use more than 1 during a wash. One for the car, then one for the wheels, wheel well lips, and the underside of the bumpers/gfx.

For me, NO Armor All products for me. Which, I feel bad to say because for Christmas my brother got me the gift set from Target...so I do use their glass cleaner and am experimenting with the tire shine foam..but, if there is a can of the wipes around, it's for the wheel wells or a quick clean up for the plastic under the hood.

Wash-Meguiars deep suds. I really want to find a soap gun, though. Then use the california water blade + towel to dry. Then our Shop Vac on the blower setting to go over the car once more.

Detail- Mothers clay, Zymol cleaner wax, meguiars crystal glaze, meguiars carnauba. Then quik detailer/car duster for in betweens

Tires- been experimenting between the aerosol sprays, and the gels. Huge fan of the gels, not so much the sprays anymore.

I need a buffer!