Intake manifold gasket gone wrong?

silverstatticc06

Hi fellas, first i would like to get started by saying, this is a great forum!! I didn't think this type of forum, for these type of cars existed lolz. Anyways, My father owns a 1994 Cutlass Supreme S. witch i absolutely love, as does him. 106k miles current.

I discovered that the lower intake gasket was leaking coolant, an ever so light stream of coolant, seeping down the transmission case, and making its self almost seem as if was a hose. I was coming out by where it was "supposed" to be sealed with the gasket sealant. So i went out and got the gaskets, tore down the engine and removed rocker arms/lifters. After placing the new gaskets in, i slid the lifters back on, torqued the rocker arms down to 12 ft lbs, and proceeded to put everything back together. well, good news is....everything works. Bad news.....i have ticking/tapping noises coming from the engine now. What could have went wrong? I'm thinking its lifter noise. Maybe i over torqued them? HEEEELPP!!! :willynilly: :frown:

But would the car even run if they were in the wrong order? I'm pretty sure they're in the right order. When i took them out, i laid them out on a table exactly the way they came out. Do you have a diagram by any chance? With the lengths, and intake/exhaust sides?

Based on this: 60degreev6.com Specifications

The torque spec is 89 in-lbs (10 N-m, 7.4 ft-lbs) + 30*. So, your valve lash will be off since you used the wrong torque value. Where did you get the torque value? I believe the link I have to be correct, but if I were you I'd dig around a little more and make sure of it (call a GM dealer and ask, for instance).

When you tighten them down properly, you should (with the valve closed) be able to spin the pushrods with just a little bit of resistance and you shouldn't have hardly any axial play in the pushrod.

Just to note, if the pushrods were put in wrong (i.e. intake pushrod in exhaust lifter/rocker arm) the car would run, probably miss and/or backfire and you could damage a valve, lifter or pushrod.

You do have a 3100 engine, right? If so, that is the "L82" they speak of on the page I linked to.

I got the torque value off "wiki answers" so that was my first mistake. Yes, i do have the 3100 L82. Well i am 99.9% sure the push rods are in their rightful location. The car turns on just fine, it doesn't sputter, or die. It just ticks. TICK TICK TICK TICK!! It has to be my valve lash then. I didn't think over torquing would throw off the valve lash. I wonder if I will be able to re-torque them with only the valve covers/accessories off? Anyone done it? Thanks for the help!

Over torquing puts too much pre-load on the lifters.

I think the front bank is very accessible with just the valve cover off, not sure about the rear.

Just for reference, the exhaust pushrods are longer than the intake pushrods.

I just finished re-torquing the rocker arms..................and still have valvetrain noise!! This car is driving me nuts!! :willynilly:

Heres a quick video i shot right after i finished.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJGl7r-8MYE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJGl7r-8MYE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I hate to speculate because I don't want to lead you in circles. But, it could be a collapsed lifter. It would make a similar sound to not having the valvetrain tightened down because the pushrod would have more travel than normal because the "guts" of the lifter are stuck in the "down" position. My sister's old Monte had this problem. When I fixed it, it turned out to actually be two collapsed lifters.

Were you able to spin the pushrods with your fingers at all? I'm not sure how room you would have had, but I thought I'd ask.

Jesus.. :lol: Thats loud.

Did you change the oil right after doing the gaskets???

If not you are gonna have tons of coolant in the oil. Lifters and bearings dont like coolant :willynilly:

According to Mitchell the rocker arm torque is 20ftlbs

Try that. And I continue to wonder why people remove the rockers when a cheap tool is available to keep from removing the rockers.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=78511&group_ID=1558&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I think some parts stores even rent those out through their loan-a-tool programs.

20 ft lbs? I'm calling a GM dealer tommorow to see what their specs are before i try that. It might be collasped lifters like Robby1870 stated. Yes, of course i changed the oil, it looked like chocolate milk LOL, and it still sounds like a deisel. And yes, I SOULD of bought that stupid tool, but no local auto parts store carried it, and i figured it would be faster to just remove them than to order the damn thing. Guess I was wrong!