TGP with a TopGun idle problem

Jonpro03

I was having a problem with the car idling really high and when coming to a stop the rpms would drop suddenly and it would idle like junk. It was a stuck IAC so I replaced it. I did the normal relearn and the topgun relearn procedures. It idles normal now but it sounds terrible and is shaking the whole car. The exhaust is really loud... REALLY LOUD! Like I've got a cammed big block under the hood, and there is an occasional knock coming the passenger side of the engine. You can hear over my noisy water pump pulley. Whats going on?

EDIT: The tach isnt right

got a scanner? it sounds like a massive vacuum leak...

i wouldn't mind the sound either, but the drivability and lost boost would suck...

No vacuum problems or boost problems. I've redone all vacuum lines since I've had the car... ALL OF THEM. Also, all of the topend gaskets have been done... all except LIM and head gaskets. I am loosing spark at WOT but Im pretty sure thats just a coil problem.

If you saw my thread, I have a clip of the way my exhaust sounds right now. One good muffler and one bad muffler together = awesome sound. However it won't pass inspection that way... so I'm hoping to at least preserve the sound when I put the glasspacks on...

anyway, didn't mean to hijack :lol:

No worries...

There's no drivability issues with the car, with the exception of loosing spark under load. It still builds lotsa boost.

Now that I think of it I don't have the EVAP purge in the car at all. Would that be the problem? I broke the plastic vacuum line that ran to it from the TB so I just removed the whole thing and blocked the vacuum port.

if you have it blocked off at the TB, i don't see it being an issue... i'd block the tank end as well and if you haven't already, disconnect the plug from the purge valve too.

if you have it blocked off at the TB, i don't see it being an issue... i'd block the tank end as well and if you haven't already, disconnect the plug from the purge valve too.

Both done :high5:

Its worse now. When I took it out driving last night, It would idle super high but only when moving. In the video you can see it'll rev up when I put it in neutral. When I put it in neutral and come to a stop the rpms will drop suddenly. Also, when cruising for more than a couple of minutes... the SES light will come on for a while and then go off. It seems like the knock at idle is getting worse.

AHHH this wasn't happening before :willy_nilly:

that's the damndest thing....

which idle learn procedure do you go through?

http://robertisaar.co.cc/web_images/idle_learn.rtf

that's my revised version...

I used the topgun recommended method of starting the car and letting it idle till the fans turn on. Turn off for 30 seconds, restart and let it run for five. But Ill give that a try!

Went to do an idle relearn. Once the car started and I put it into drive, it sounded totally normal. Then after about 2 minutes the rpms dropped really low and it started sounding terrible again. Then, right when it was about to die, the rpms raised all of a sudden and the SES light came on... How do I check that light?

^ THIS! i have the TGP specific code list on hand.

and that's very odd how it acted... almost like it freaked out when it went into closed loop...

Got the problem fixed!!!

Here's what happened:

I went over to my friends house to pull out his scantool. We hooked it up and read the code which was rich exhaust. So we started the car and watched the o2 sensor readings. When first starting the car it took only a minute for it to go into closed loop. When it did, it started running a little rougher, the o2 was reading rich. As time went by, you could see the ECM pulling fuel and the car would run worse. The o2 was still reading rich. After about 2 minutes of idling, the car was just barely running and was pinging pretty badly. Then it threw the error code and went back to open loop. It would start to run better, just barely. The first thing we thought was bad FPR. We checked the vacuum line and there was no fuel. We got to talking about it and we knew there was no way that the engine would ping and it would be running rich, so we decided the o2 was bad... even if it was still reading. I went and bought a new one (17 dollar bosch at autozone) and hooked it up quick as I could. Bingo bango problem solved... an idle relearn later and I was good to go.

Thanks EVERYONE!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm learning more and more about this car and finally starting to figure it out. Here's the new exhaust vid... although it doesn't sound as cool as a VERY lean idle, I prefer this to a knocking engine.

Save that O2 for car shows... :lol: I was going to say bad chip. That thing better run in 2 weeks no excuses. Even when u make a slow run. :lol:

You just let me know if I got a taillight out when I fly past you :lol: :burnout:

Save that O2 for car shows... :lol: I was going to say bad chip. That thing better run in 2 weeks no excuses. Even when u make a slow run. :lol:

You just let me know if I got a taillight out when I fly past you :lol: :burnout:

:lol: :high5: