Coolant flush on 99 Buick Regal GS

Q-Ball

Well, I've come to my knowledge that Regals and Grand Prix's may have different radiators. I've looked on a bunch of Grand Prix's and they seem to have a twist plug, where as my Regal uses a 1/4" square drive to turn the plug.

Anyways, my problem is, i can turn the plug, but how do you get the plug out? I've tried pulling it out, but I cant get it.

This site has some pics of what the plug looks like, but I'm still at a stand still since I cant get the damn thing out.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t936984-how_do_i_drain_the_radiator_and_cooling_system_flush_for__97_and_up_regal_century.html

Applicable to '97 and up Buick Regal and Century and '97 - '03 Pontiac Grand Prix

drain_02.jpg

1/4" drive tool and drain plug removed from radiator for illustration purposes

DSC05573.jpg

Coolant being drained

DSC05576.jpg

Location of drain plug on removed radiator

You don't remove that plug 100%. Keep twisting it till coolant starts draining out. It's a very fine thread so might take a few turns to get things rolling. Don't take it out al the way you'll have a huge mess everywhere.

Yeah, I just pulled off the lower rad hose. Than I sucked a bunch of it out with my shopvac. Put in my rad flush, flushed it all out and refilled it and seems to be working great!

• 2 years later...

My plug looks like the one at the top. At first it appeared that the 1/4 in drive would not work but pressing in harder and applying force off-center, it finally broke loose. After turning it about a bazillion times I decided it was enough. Taking a screwdriver blade to the space between the radiator and the plug I was able to pop it out so that fluid began to run. Continuing pulling it out by hand removed it completely. It did not appear to have any fine threading and really seems to act more like a pop in and out affair.

Must be an L67 thing, my GTP had a 1/4" drive plug like that. I tried to get mine out, but was too nervous it would break. Lower hose works fine and you don't have to worry about a tiny nylon plug that strips on you.