Rough Idle

91LuminaEuro

I can't remember if we've done a compression check. I'll have to ask my dad.

If it were vapor locked, wouldn't the issue be a regular problem and not so irregular?

I can't remember if we've done a compression check. I'll have to ask my dad.

If it were vapor locked, wouldn't the issue be a regular problem and not so irregular?

not necessarily. vapor lock in our cars would occur in the fuel rail when the engine is warm and the fuel pump is worn out. in all likelihood you might still get some fuel to the cylinders but it would be sporadic.... here is what happened on the 93: I would start it when warm and it would run really rough and then stall after 10-40 seconds... and not restart then. I used the fuel puddled above the fuel injectors in the recesses of the rail until the injectors drained the fuel and hit vapor. Then the car would sputter and stall. sound anything like what you've got?

What if your fuel pump was not as bad as mine and instead it just sputtered due to the low pressure, but not low enough to cause vapor lock to occur?

I suggest gettting with Chris D and have him help you check pressure and replace the pump. and I know he know which pumps are worth using.

Edited by Crazy K

I'll give that a try next time it acts up and wont start. Doing the work isnt really a concern, its just trouble-shooting this problem my dad and i just can't pin point the problem. I'll give that a shot and go from there.

Thanks a-lot!

• 1 year later...
Ok, so here is my problem, the car idles like crap probably 60% of the time...

At time the idle jumps rapidly, from say 400rpm-1000rpm (and it stalled today when it did that)

Usually the jumping happens after it has just been started...

I've checked for vacuum leaks, the injectors are all good, PCV is good, throttle body, i've changed everything (other than plugs & wires) and nothing seems to help..

The idle seems better when the heat/AC is on..

I have no idea what the hell this could be...im thinking is it possible the fuel pump is intermittent/weak?

I just need some advice, my dad and i are at a loss for ideas....

I know this is a late reply but I've had this happen at work and I finally realized most gm 3.1 3.4 were the idle goes up n down then stalls is an engine vacuum problem I've seen cracked upper intake or a bad lower intake gasket or even a bad head gasket the engine leaks vacuum into the motor or out of it it's hard to figure out what it is but I've had two this month one was a headgasket n one was a cracked upper intake