Strange noise from front strut/suspension

PCGUY112887

On my lowered Grand Prix, sometimes when going over particular bumps sometimes while turning, or while turning off this particular right turn here in town that is on a huge drop off I will hear this crunching/popping sorta noise from my front driver tire area. I can practically feel it through my feet. If I didn't know better I would say my stainless steel brake lines were catching and being drug against but they don't have much slack and have plenty of wiggle room. That's just the best noise I can describe.

I've had my car in the air with my mechanic trying to locate this noise, balljoints/tierods look fine can't find anything just from looking under the car and tugging on everything including my intrax springs. I went in asking about my strut and without tearing it apart we couldn't see any leaks or anything that may indicate that it blew up.

The only thing that we found is that the bolts holding my front strut bar on were sorta scooting and scraping along the bar (from the way the GMPP bar is designed, it has slots not just holes for mounting) and we put some washers on and tightened it up but I really don't think the noise is coming from that, since it has not changed at all.

My best guess is something is wrong under that strut plate? Or maybe under the strut? My car has always had a harsher ride with the lowering and sway bar and strut bars, but sometimes I feel like it's been EXTRA harsh like my strut did blow.

Ideas?

Check your wheel wells for rubbing. I've had it happen to me countless times in the Regal, especially with larger tires. One particular spot I had trouble with was the edge of the fender hitting against the strut plate that holds the spring. I solved that problem by beating on the fender from the inside with a rubber mallet.

There is definitely a bit of rubbing on the inside wheel wells, and there always has been even with my old tires. I did get new tires not too long ago and this noise has been around for a little while, my mechanic mentioned it but I just can't see how it could possibly be making that type of noise without showing any indication on the tires. Sometimes I hear it going in just a straight line over just the right bumps.

There is definitely a bit of rubbing on the inside wheel wells, and there always has been even with my old tires. I did get new tires not too long ago and this noise has been around for a little while, my mechanic mentioned it but I just can't see how it could possibly be making that type of noise without showing any indication on the tires. Sometimes I hear it going in just a straight line over just the right bumps.

Check the plastic covers that separate your engine from the tires. That's where mine have rubbed. They no longer rub, as the wheels ground away a nice big hole in that plastic piece.