89 Grand Prix 3.1 turbo 5 speed swap- see 1st post for updated pics

Mach 5

def better than the rear I had those Hankooks in the front which basically eliminated the understeer almost completely but the oversteer was acting up I had Falken 912's in the rear. I think with a better tire in the back it would eliminate the oversteer and my 3 wheeled turns. The Hankooks did get pretty sticky and started to gum. It also got rid of my wheel hop issue as well

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• intern8tion9l

• RobertISaar

• 94GPGTP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a shift cable for a Getrag 284 its the one on the drivers side of the shifter? It broke at the trans shift link so now Im stuck. If anyone knows what will work in place or where I can get one that would be great. I also put this in the classifieds.

Spoon93@gmail.com

(631) 456-9494

Thanks

-Jarek

I am not sure that they are available new anymore, however you can have them rebuilt/remade. I think Independentfool had them remade in his old Z34 (now owned by GOT2BGM). I'm sure he can get you the contact information for the place that did his, or you can find a place locally that can fab something up.

Otherwise, I'm sure you can sweet talk someone into going to a JY and pulling the cables for you.

some pics of carnage. This sux I need my car. I feel that the reason why it failure this way was because of the brass bushing causing lack of movement with the linkage. This I believe caused the fracture. I may end up just welding an end on I really dont know yet

post-2511-143689054016_thumb.jpg

post-2511-143689054028_thumb.jpg

post-2511-143689054041_thumb.jpg

post-2511-143689054053_thumb.jpg

post-2511-143689054068_thumb.jpg

i broke 2 cables when i first did my swap; i suspected the culprit was the heat generated from the downpipe. i know there is heat wrap of sorts from the factory, but i did my own wrap from the top down and haven't broken a cable since.

i know that doesn't help you fix what you're dealing with, but may or may not be useful input for the next cable

Im gonna have to look into that. Im going to Airweld today to get some gas for my welder then Im going to weld a bolt on to the end of the broken cable and tap the endlink with the new threads. That should at least get me going I hope.

Yours broke in the same spot??