Suspension Rebuild

Husky

Well, as part of the ongoing project with my GTP, I will be starting in on suspension and handling within the next four months. I'm going to replace the subframe bushings, along with the sway bar bushings and pretty much any other bushings I can get my paws on. What I was wondering is if anyone here knows of where you can buy a kit, ideally poly, that includes all of my suspension bushings? I figure it would be easier to buy a pre-made kit than to piece it together from different sources.

Also: The plan right now is front and rear coil-overs, probably the Held kit on all four corners, then all new bushings all around, an Aweb RSTB, and a custom FSTB. Does that sound good to you guys, or would you recommend doing anything differently or doing more? It's going to be a full-interior daily-driven car that will see track days only on rare occasions, so I don't see any real need to go too extreme, such as solid subframe mounts or solid dogbones.

Piece together your own coil overs using upper mounts from DOHCv6 and the other parts from Summit. The held kits are more expensive and the design for the front is... how should I say this.... primitive.

I HAVE the held kits on my car, the back kit is good, no problems with it, but the front upper mount is plastic.

Front kit on the left

CIMG2277.jpg

Front upper mounts

CIMG2278.jpg

See that bearing in there? not a very good fit, I don't have high hope of it still being there when I get rid of these in the spring.

As for a kit for the front, no kits for poly. but http://www.p-s-t.com sells a kit for the front end of our cars called "original performance" aka stock. BUT that is new as apposed to your 15 year old bushings. (kit does not include sub frame bushings)

If you are DDing the car you don't want to go hard on the springs... try 300LB front and 250LB rear, if you want a rough ride but stable in the corners, go hard... I currently have 350/300lb but when I rebuild my suspension I will be going to 400/350

Also... SWAY BAR!!! the rear sway bar will quite possibly be the biggest difference you will notice! again, you can get this from http://www.p-s-t.com and this you CAN option with poly bushings. The bar is the exact same as the ADDCO bar someone else is bound to tell you about, but the ADDCO one only comes with rubber bushings. PST replaces them with Poly Graphite.

On top of all that you can spend the money on all tubular parts, trailing arms, lateral links and soon we will have tubular front control arms available to us (Mark, aka DOHCv6, is just revising his design, should be available in the coming weeks)

That's all I can think of for now... Really it all boils down to your budget, you can spend a little, or you can spend a lot... I chose the later of the two...

Here is my build thread, Part II will follow this spring

Its long but very informative

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,61157.0.html

Jamie

Unless you plan on laying down $350 (plus shipping) for tubular control arms (which I'm not), poly control arm bushings make a HUGE difference. Don't forget, our cars are between 65%-70% front biased weight distribution, so that understeer comes into play pretty heavily, and anything you can do to stiffen up thefront end will help immensely.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=80131.0

I hit a consistent .91 lateral G's with my Regal when I had 15" rims. Haven't yet tried with the 17's on.

Unless you plan on laying down $350 (plus shipping) for tubular control arms (which I'm not), poly control arm bushings make a HUGE difference. Don't forget, our cars are between 65%-70% front biased weight distribution, so that understeer comes into play pretty heavily, and anything you can do to stiffen up thefront end will help immensely.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=80131.0

I hit a consistent .91 lateral G's with my Regal when I had 15" rims. Haven't yet tried with the 17's on.

:babble:

My car doesn't understeer and I have no poly up front... does that mean it will oversteer when I put poly on?

I can't wait till you find a new modification to rave about... Poly control arm bushings aren't the answer to everything...

Husky,

Yes, you can save a few bucks by using his Poly idea... like I said before it's all depending on how much you want to spend and how good you want it to handle...

Yes the poly mod will make a difference, but the tubular with poly or heim joint will make a bigger difference.

It's your call

Jamie

Some good posts thus far. If the tubulars are available when it's time for me to buy, I'll go that route, otherwise poly bushings in stock arms. In the meantime, I'm really looking for poly subframe bushings. Anybody have a line on some? Worst case scenario, I'll just suck it up and put AAP units in, but I'd rather not...

No one makes poly sub frame bushings... Held once told me they could make them, but that was when Lee was doing all the dealings... now its some Erik guy, I tried asking him about it and never got a reply...

If I could find a source for raw blocks of poly I could have them made, but they would not be cheap...

Another user on here, Artemis, and myself are looking into the feasibility of sub frame connectors in a FWD car. If we find evidence of use in FWD cars I will make a set and try them out on my car... if that works out I will be starting a group buy for them. But that won't be till later in the summer, maybe August before I get the chance to do that.

Jamie

Your car isn't the only one on this board that can handle. I posted a suggestion and reasoning. I have proof. You have nothing. If you can't read it without getting your panties in a bunch, then go cry in a corner because I've had it with your bullshit for the last year. What the fuck did I ever do to you? Make your suggestions and ill make mine. I'm proud of the fact that I started a mod that nobody else did. If you can't deal with that, stay out of my face.

warnpmod.gif If you have a problem with someone, take it to PM.

Let's keep the drama out of here, plzkthxbai.

Okay, so nix the poly bushings. I'll get some OE ones, and look into the rest. Anybody know if Aweb still makes suspension bits? I lost his phone number.