NEW GM TGP RADIATOR! :)

Chris A

Not going to be cheap when I am done bidding :naughty: That item looks like the reward to give my TGP for sitting 4 years while waiting for me to get time to work on it. I will then have a core from my TGP to get re-cored and have as a spare ready for when people are down and need one that has been repaired/re-cored properly, so people do not have to go looking and hoping in their town they have found the best work and best price the first time. The same idea I have for 3 spare TGP turbos I have collected, planning to have 2 totally rebuilt and stock for the majority and one 350hp direct bolt-on to work for larger injector setups, obviously to swap these with a TGP owners, not for sale to someone putting a TGP setup in their car that do not have a turbo yet!!

Well, still up from yesterday so got to catch a few zezzz before I start this day.

Jeff M

so, does this mean i have to actually own a TGP before you'll rebuild my crossover pipe?

joshua

Ahhh, not sure how that one got skewed but :roll: , if you have a TGP pipe then you are all set no matter what car you put it on, long as that core you have has not been ruined by previous attempts to repair. If somone does NOT have an untouched/OEM pipe then the best way to understand it is just like when you buy a remanufactured tranny, engine, alternator or water pump etc, the manufacturer needs back your old reusable "core" to continue to do business, or they/myself will have to buy/spend more money/pass that cost on to the buyer, for a lot of cores from somewhere (GM only sell new for $1,400+). I would love to have a source for ones from a salvage yard but that means I would have to be lucky enough to have bought close to 400 by now, that's not likely :) . The amount of refurbishing I do and have done to a crossover pipe core is extensive, those who are familiar with the type of work involved have always been more than impressed with the amount of work put in, level of quality and thoroughness in redesigning in reliability (that the OEM never had). Granted GM can make these from scratch (actually they have it out-sourced like many parts) and mark the price up to $1,400, but myself making one from scratch without all the markups an OEM pipe has would still make the pipe much more than what I charge, by the way, the cost off the internet for one of these new has to have the supplier's customary Shipping and Handling (yea right) charges added at the tune of $161 for a 7 pound pipe.....mmmm, so much for that cheap "cost" quoted. Toughest part is bending T-409, that type of work requires some very impressive skills and expensive equipment to accomplish, T-304 bends easy but will NOT handle the temperature extremes in a turbo application particularly a pipe running between the exhaust outlet at the head and before the turbo. T-409 is tough and in this application performs very well, though a few give it a bad rap do not understand that even companies like SLP use it for their headers. Maybe the fact that after time T-409 forms a rust looking/oxide layer on its surface as compared to shiny T-304 that everyone sees degrades their assessment, but they do not understand the very thin oxide layer IS a good thing in that it is now basically seals and stops any further oxidation/rust from occurring.

Well, I want you to know that I understand that was a long answer to an easy question/yours but over the years of posting hundreds of times on message boards and thousands of emails I have done, these answers are preemptive to the many questions that would have been asked once people started to think, and this way I can maximize my time by posting once (in hopes that does it 8) ) so that anyone coming to this thread in the next 100 years, will get all the info they would of wanted regarding this topic without doing a lot of reading and sifting through to find it, though this type of info and more will be put onto my web site this winter.

So thanks for listening.

Jeff M

Good info Jeff! Thanks for all the hard work and long hours you put in for us TGP owners. :worship:

Email me, I need to confirm your address, as for these such words spoke in public, you will be treated acordingly :twisted:

Hard work, you mean like 3 hours :boring: since Saturday, I just wish the work I was doing WAS something I could distribute for support, but the time it would take to bring someone up to speed and if any learning curve needed, I would be a lot further along, even done on those projects.

Besides, I am looking to have a 1-Stop-Shopping for what TGP owners need such as the UltraFlow heads I will offer, performance tranny and engine kits, pillar pods, 2 foor by 3 foot high quality posters and on and on, and all this IS coming to finalization many for winter release when many take their rides off line to work on and can do this stuff (I have 6 wall planners covering a large wall in my office with lists of TGP owners and their choices such as heads, tranny and engine kits etc). So, can't wait till I finish these and fill up that web site with info that kills me in email replies I do and do and do......and is why I have had to draw the line on a lot of these emails, and many, since there are still many I am doing, are people basically in a long line to be the next person served, and their patience is appreciated. I will commit, as with the chips and pipes and help from postings when I did that a lot more than now, to provide consistency in quality and comprehensive workmanship, got to go.

Talk to you via email next regarding your address.

Jeff M

As an appreciation jesture to our #1 TGP guru , Don't any of us run up the price of that radiator. If someone needs it moster bad, communicate it openly, and most of us don't have v-deep pockets so lets play nice.

huh?

joshua

what he ment is

THEY WANT IT AND Bid it up as high as need be to get it BUT if someone REALLY NEEDS It they will not bid it up for them so if you want it SPEAK UP and people will not bid it up.....

all TGP parts go High if not informed to us......

Me, Jeff and Jim a few others will bid on any TGP/STE part and if its not known if we need it one of us is sure to win it......

take TGP emblems they go for alot because we want them.....not because we need them...we have a BAD HABBIT and we need help

so if you want to help with or problem {support our habbit} I take donations at Paypal just pay Jeorge@citlink.net

so in other words you trying to quit smoking just give us the money for smokes and we will spend it on TGP/STE parts........

heck if i need or want it i'll just bid. it's not like i have to get permission here first.

joshua

no no its not like that....see if we know you need it or want it we will not bid it up......

Guest TurboSedan

i understand that, but i don't know why anyone would 'bid it up' unless they needed it or wanted it for their TGP, even if they wanted to bid on it as a spare (hell the thing is over 2 grand new so why wouldn't a TGP owner bid on it?). all i'm saying is that i think it would be stupid to pass up on a radiator that a TGP owner (or a person like me doing a turbo conversion) might need/want just because they want to 'show their appreciation'. that just sounds silly. it sounds downright kiss-ass to me. ebay is an open market. this is just another case of 'don't bid on this because i want it'. obviously jeffm never said this, i just think it's silly that other people say this like mikeJ. alot of other people want this part too, and most of them don't want to pay 2 grand! bid away!

joshua

i understand that, but i don't know why anyone would 'bid it up' unless they needed it or wanted it for their TGP, even if they wanted to bid on it as a spare (hell the thing is over 2 grand new so why wouldn't a TGP owner bid on it?). all i'm saying is that i think it would be stupid to pass up on a radiator that a TGP owner (or a person like me doing a turbo conversion) might need/want just because they want to 'show their appreciation'. that just sounds silly. it sounds downright kiss-ass to me. ebay is an open market. this is just another case of 'don't bid on this because i want it'. obviously jeffm never said this, i just think it's silly that other people say this like mikeJ. alot of other people want this part too, and most of them don't want to pay 2 grand! bid away!

joshua

Why pay 2K when its only $275 to get it Recored.....

we would want it for a spare.....not that we need it......I see where your coming from......its just something that we do....that way we dont pay high $$ for something....

Guest TurboSedan

i know i know, but what i don't like seeing is a vendor (TGP or otherwise) getting 'special treatment'. i'm not singling anyone or any business out, it's really just the principal of the matter. i know jeff m has nothing to do with this arguement, and it's not like he asked anyone not to bid on it. i really think that jeff gets enough 'appreciation' from the profit he makes on his products. his prices reflect the time/money put into them and they SHOULD! we all know he puts alot of time/effort into his business! don't get me wrong, i'm sure he is a great guy that charges more than fair prices on his products, it's just that i think the comment mike J made crossed the line when it comes to fairness. the said radiator on ebay should go to the high bidder period. and that high bidder is the person that wants/needs it most, whether he wants to put in into a TGP or a '50 Merc. i pretty much hate it when i see some thread about an ebay auction that says 'don't bid on this because i want it'. ebay is an open market and...well...enough said. i'm sorry some of you probably hate me for this post, but i tend to speak my mind as i see fit. BTW, i'm not bidding on the auction because i simply can't afford it. my TGP radiator has about 6 tubes ripped wide open, and i'm having it recored. but i hope to spend less than $200 on the recore. a brand spankin new TGP radiator sure would be nice!

joshua

well Im not in need of a Radiator anyways....for my car being neglected by its Prev owners it seems to be in Great mech....shape....

as for your conversion I know eclipse would be able to help you he put a 3.1 {V} in his Cutlass.......with a 5spd......

Jeff....Im still trying to get that MO out to you.....

also did you want a copy of my 1990 TGP Video?? let me know....

IM looking for some short Video tapes like 30Min tapes anyone have some?? I have a ponitac Dealer Video and a TGP video that I want to make copys of....and have avalible...for the TGP guys....

joshua

Thanks for the words of respect in the post below, for sure same is always shared many times your way and others, before someone proves to me they no longer deserve it.

To kinda clear this up/tame it down to what its really worth:

The mention that one of us guys from this board is looking to get an item is just a mention, no one has to be obligated, those that elect to bow out will, those that need it should go low-pro, save their time writing a bunch of replies here and do what they want or need to, we respect your needs and others would only ask the same, whatever your reasons of needs for the item. IF you remember, the thought about my getting it for my TGP is not crazy since I have one, it is to replace mine and use the original one to get recored and have as a reusable/re-sellable one just like was said before in my 1st post, as example again is I have 3 TGP turbos, 2 will be rebuilt stock and one biggest it can go and still bolt back on, BUT I needed those cores to allow offering that service (read later about that profit I make!), same with the radiator, except I was looking for a slight reward for my TGP (and maybe me) since it has been waiting for 4 years for me to get to it and stop taking all my spare time helping others, that I DO ENJOY doing so no one get me wrong, (that was a little strong granted but that is what you can dig up if you skip giving someone the benefit of the doubt, that maybe thinking I was getting greedy or off my rocker for thinking everyone would just sit on their butts if I ask them or whatever;-). Some of us will help each other out in different ways, and those ways are their choice, no arm pulling less your reach is longer than mine.

As for profits, I am the first to be humble and honest (and not too happy otherwise) and spill the beans, I make jack shit and it's a god send my wife does not fire me/divorce me, and I would not disagree with her. As an example and to keep it short if that is possible, I will ONLY pick the pipe since that is the only thing I really sell any numbers of (chips is the only other item, umm, that makes 2 big seller, someone what to buy my hot business ?). This year alone I have spent over $3,000 in flex joints for the crossover pipes, $800 in flange clamps for said pipes, $650 in supplies for said pipe (t-409 rod is not cheap, not even Craftsman's best won't last a week/8 inch wire wheel to work on said pipes/1 each 2 months, few dozen titanium coated 3/8 drills to drill out the turbo flange on the pipe, sheet metal shears as the shield dulls them after a few dozen or so removed, leather gloves that get eaten by wire wheel, air filter mask as repeated breathing of the mineral fibers off the pipe is not good, and other items) all that and more for just the pipes!!!. Then the 4 trips in my car for each pipe/or more than one pipe if I get them at the same time, then 4 hours of work for me preparing the pipe for the welders/preparing the pipe after the welders and before it gets boxed and shipped. There is also costs for printer machine and supplies to make up the instruction document and labels on the box, heavy grade box tape supplies markers etc, boxes also wear out/do not get returned etc and cost time and money to make these up as they are custom made to hopefully last for several trips. Costs add up like everything else written here so far; Then there is the many hours on emails answering all the questions regarding the pipe; what problems a cracked one causes, how do I tell for sure its cracked, can I do the install work, what other parts do I need, can I just send my pipe to be worked on, and on and on, par for the course but takes time/not free time, but that is just on the pipe, the next questions that come with the many pipe inquires take up a lot more time, I don't mind and like to help BUT its getting to the point there is just not enough time, and those many owners who have been on the previous 2 TGP Message Boards since 1996 know the mass of info that has been shared by me and others that must go this winter on my web site (read more time to type up my pile of paper in a legible format indexed for easy location to visitors) so I can help people faster without them waiting in line for 2 to 3 weeks (yes, that is the turnaround and no, I am self employed, all my time to this job!). So, pretty much everyone knows I much more so do these pipes and other things for fun (?), because I like to help, and am looking to get enough items TGP owners want to make this a self paying job, profit would be nice, but you have better be getting the idea that is not the case, and if I sell my pipes for about what it costs me to do it (other than the $10 an hour my labor works out to, big deal), it is also how I look at setting the prices of all my products, my decision and I don't care if someone thinks I am crazy, they are not me, it all boils down to this, the typical owner of a TGP is not rolling in money!!!! SO, to actually help people out with things and make it something they can get, I kill the price to next to nothing for me so more people benefit, so I am a humanitarian, I got sooo many great and appreciative friends all over the world that when I retire, it will be great to go visit all of them, a guy in the UK, another in Sweden, Australia, Hawaii, all over the USA, its great and without the net, no one including me could possibly have so many great friends/virtual friends. Oh yea, there is also the 3 weeks spent directly on putting together a 30 page excel spread sheet of parts I accessed as being needed for TGP owners from now till I die/sell off to someone else such as the many seals and weather strips, vacuum line, aero pieces, engines pieces and on and on to the tune of $50K fricking dollars, that the wife, once again came to my (?) rescue and sponsor. It then took 4 more weeks off and on setting up a paper inventory/marking system, and to build enough shelves to house all this shit. Why did I go whole hog when I already had too many great people waiting for my many projects to be completed, because when many of the times I was looking into/getting TGP parts for people I found many being discontinued, NOT GOOD, red flag up and that is all I needed to act.

Well, if you are not sorry you opened the subject by now, or you pick on one little item out of the whole story, then don't think I will honor you with another reply buddy.

Jeff M

When someone has something wrong or needs something for their TGP they turn to Jeff M. His willingness to buy parts in order to service some TGP owner down the road should be commended :)

That is the perfect size radiator for my 3.4 DOHC project. There are aftermarket radiators though that will work just as well and are the same dimensions. Ive been watching it but there are other radiators you TGP guys can use if you HAVE to get a new one.

Guest Anonymous

I need a new radiator. I just had mine recored last year. When I got it back and went to put it in I realized the top and bottom plates were put on wrong.( didn't line up with mounts) I took it back and got it fixed but the guy must've took it apart with a hammer. Now the tank seam on the drivers side is leaking pretty bad. Can this be fixed? Or is my radiator junk?

Hey what an active post :shock: . I simply meant that we should not in advertantly be pushing up the price against Jeff M. , but if any one "Monster" badly needed it they are free to bid, but it would be a decent jesture amongst fellow enthusiast to make your need known.

And Jeff stated in one of his 1st posts that It would not be cheap by the time he has to outbid someone in his determination to have this "collectable" piece which deserves a worthy owner and not just someone who could have recored their own. I have watched and posted on this board For about 7 years now(I just have fits getting my password to work), for 3 years as a DOHC GP man, and 4 as a TGP man.

I know that Jeff is our #1 advocate for these cars. I can understand how someone could feel put back by the thought that they aren't free to bid in this country, and thats not the case, but amongst freinds be freindly. :wink:

Owner of 5 W-bodies, all performance

Guest TurboSedan

Well, if you are not sorry you opened the subject by now, or you pick on one little item out of the whole story, then don't think I will honor you with another reply buddy.

Jeff M

*honor* me with another reply? you've got to be kidding me. i guess i won't be 'honoring' you with my business 'buddy'. it's your loss not mine.

congrats to the owner of the $663 TGP radiator btw.

joshua (later)

You know guys we just had a argument on waskies bored this past couple weeks.. we don't need another.. Specialy with Jeff M. He is the person who has spent more time on these cars then GM has.. I am sorry if I am offending anyone.. I just think that Jeff M. deserves alot of respect. He works alot on providing a service that would not other wise be here if not for him.. I know I joined this thread late but of what I have read is not right... Jeff M. is the reason these cars can do what they can.. I will tell you all I have not talked to this man or emailed hime.. I have not cought anything from him (Yet).. But his Knowledge and passion speaks for it self.. Also I don't think it wrong that we all stick together on bidding on a original piece of TGP. We are a rare bunch of people who love a rare car that is hard to get parts for. I don't hear anyone complain about people posting about an item on ebay that is a TGp part. So why not stick together and help each other out.. I see nothing wrong with that.. Honestly who else would be bidding on some of these itens(I did not say all of them) I think that is a good thing that TGP owners talk and work things out.. Nuf said.. KCP

Jeff M. One more time I would likt to thank you for you passion and hard work for all of us TGP owners.. WE would not be here, if not for you.. I will be doing business with you soon.. KCP

Jeff M

*honor* me with another reply? you've got to be kidding me. i guess i won't be 'honoring' you with my business 'buddy'. it's your loss not mine.

congrats to the owner of the $663 TGP radiator btw.

joshua (later)

I think you might of done just that like I said before, grabbed only a section of words you did not like and could get all over it, and missed the other words about how this is far from a profit making venture for me anyways, dude read slower :P

Hope this link added here works, go here for a general overview related to this long and important topic regarding a mention of a rad for sale and a warning of some (over) serious bidders that has gone astray:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7107#7107