help with replacing a dead fuel pump

elumina

Ive got a 1999 chevy lumina LTZ.

The fuel pump went bad in it over the weekend. I've started the process of removing the tank.

Unfortunately the tank is full and I don't feel safe dropping it without draining it.

I've got the vent line unhooked but cant seem to get my siphon hose into the tank.

Am I doing something wrong or does someone have a better idea.

Any pointers on the whole procedure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I was beginning to think of going that route. Im also having a problem for getting the tank straps off i think I'm going to have to remove the exhaust hangers to get some room. I thought this would be easier.

im fairly sure its a bitch on that w-body. our gtps have acess holes in the trunk, i would just make one if i were you and get a cover from a 2nd gen Grand prix and make it look factory.

Use your knees on the front side, a jack on the back side. I just did this. It sucked, but it got done.

DO EMPTY IT BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO PUT THE TANK BACK UP!!! :lol:

I have done many luminas and montes (usually for the tank though) and if you try hard enough you can drop the one strap with the shield around it with a swivel, without removing hangers.

To me full, empty either way a PITA

Wait, I thought there was already an access panel under the rear seat. Maybe I'm wrong.

No. And if there was it would be in the very far forward part of the trunk, not under the seats.

I have a 97 lumina and it does not have the access hole. But the manual says that starting in 97 they started putting them in. Maybe lookk a little more under the rear seat, and in the trunk.

Also, connect your lines and electric harness back up, and have someone turn the key to try to start it. While the engine is cranking, bang the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet, or your hand. Does the pump come on? This doesn't fix it but it will help you. If it does work, disconnect the line from the fuel filter and connect a hose to that. I found a brass fuel fitting at the parts store that screwed in and connected a hose to that. Then you need to access your fuel pump relay, jump the terminals to supply power directly to the pump and let it pump out. Look at the relay, it should show a basic schematic. Jump the switched terminals. Good luck.

Crawl underneath and try to find where exactly the pump is then use a cut wheel to cut an access panel in the trunk floor.

It takes 10 min to replace a fuel pump this way.

and less than that to die from Carbon monoxide!

Ok,

THis was done on a 1999 Lumina LTZ

You'll need at the very least

Rachet with extensions and a u-joint

15mm socket for Strap mounting bolts

Screw driver

7 or 8 mm socket for heat sheild bolts.

Vice grips and channel lock for gripping on hoses and I used the vice grips to wrestle with the exhaust hangers

Snap ring pliers to remove the fuel sending unit.

Got it done the other morning around 1:30am took about 5-6 hours always longer than expected when doing something for the first time hope there isn't another because I don't want to spent another 350 for a new pump.

I never did see an access door but I didn't look either I have a year specific manual and it doesn't say anything about it.

I was sort of hoping that I could have just replaced the pump only instead of the whole fuel sending unit. Once I got the old unit out and looked at it I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't have wanted to try and take it apart to try and repair just the pump though.

It was a pain to say the least, but I got it done just kept plugin away at it until I got it out.

Unhooked the fuel filler line and the vapor vent line, which wasn't all that easy, pulled on it what little I could with my finger tips and wiggled the hose back and forth with a pair of channel locks and worked at it with a fat screw driver too. Was going to try drain the fuel from the tank at this point but I couldn't get the hose that I had in the tank. ( I found out later once the tank was down on the ground that if I would have worked my drain hose around a bit more I probably could have gotten it in there. The hose was getting caught up on the edge of the nipple on the tank that the vent hose is around.)

I ended up just giving up on draining it first and dropped it full. Put a jack under the tank and put a wide board on it. I had to unhook the exhaust hangers to remove the exhaust heat shield, to gain access to the front pside strap bolt. The other bolts came out fairly easy. Then I started lowering the tank I would recommend putting a couple of long boards to set the tank on so when the tank was down all the way I had to take it off of the jack to slide it out because I couldn't get the car any higher, and didn't feel like rasing the exhaust up again. While on the way down I unhooked the two smaller hoses that go up towards the fuel filler not sure what they are called. This had to be done first the other lines that go to the front I unhooked after getting the tank down on the ground.

While lowering you will have to watch that it isn't getting hung up on the exhaust on the way down. Also you will have to work the two large rubber hoses a the back free from the rear suspension the are on top of it. Once its all the way down I went ahead and unhooked all of the fuel lines going to the front and the wiring harness.

Slide jack out from underneath onto the boards and then drag it out. Hook something to pump out the gas. You could always just remove the pump first and the drain it I got every last drop out this way.

Don't forget to clean the tank around the top where the pump comes in and out you don't want any dirt getting in the tank. There was a snap ring holding the pump in. Just use a pair of snap ring pliers and work the ring off and then the pump might pop up or you may have to pull it out I did.

Put the new pump in be careful when putting it in don't bump it around to much and bend the float. I put some oil around the new pump o-ring to help get the new pump in I had to push on it pretty good to get it to seat down and I had to put the snap ring back on while pushing down Not the easiest.

After that put the tank back in place close to where it goes lift it back onto the jack lift it back up there wrestle it back into place. I worked at connecting the filler hoses while jacking it up and reattaching the strap bolts. It was fairly diffucult to get the two rubber hoses attached back to the vent and filler lines. I just kept pushing on the tank and wiggling the hoses forward it took a bit and some force but they got on there. I did put the staps back on partially to get the jack out of the way and get the tank out of the way as soon as I could. I worried about the front fuel lines after it was completely up there. Put everything back the way it was and enjoy the vehicle again.

All in all figured out was wrong and fixed in one long day and night. Not to bad the last thing that went wrong was the Transmission that took over a month from start to finish.

Well hope this helps thanks for reading.

Thanks for all of the advice and wisdom.

elumina

• 4 years later...
im fairly sure its a bitch on that w-body. our gtps have acess holes in the trunk, i would just make one if i were you and get a cover from a 2nd gen Grand prix and make it look factory.

Not a bad idea, so long as you can seal it properly...

The old brake rotor trick for weight distribution is a GREAT idea!

Wait, I thought there was already an access panel under the rear seat. Maybe I'm wrong.

Mark, I can't find the access panel on your old 92 anywhere!!! just messin :)

by 97, they probably meant the new Gen 2 W's such as the GP and Regal. the MC and Lumi were 1.5 until 2000.

Luminas always get the shaft. :(

How do you know if the sending unit and o ring are seated properly? I don't want to reinstall everything, only to have it sucking air or leaking gas...

Edited by Go4DaMo

1st gen you can't cut an access hole, First off, the tank is RIGHT on the other side of the metal, and second it's location would be just barely in the trunk where it's a bastard. I'm a huge fan of cutting the access door, but it's not feasable on my car.

Dropped the stupid tank twice now.

Mark, I can't find the access panel on your old 92 anywhere!!! just messin :)

ha ok penis, that was in reference to a gen 1.5, not the first gen lol.... Quit reviving ancient threads too.

its either that or start a new one to express my concerns, Mark! Bought 4 new clips for the M10 tank strap bolts...asked the guy at the parts counter if spraying a coat of paint on them would help them last longer...he looked up from his computer at me and replied "What...22 years wasnt enough?" Touche...:roll: