Unique or custom hoods out there?

Wheels

Molding fiberglass to a metal hood is a bad idea. They dont bond well and will eventually crack. It would be best to find an aftermarket fiberglass hood and mold the scoops onto it. You can try it, but it wouldn't be advised.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• xtremerevolution

• Wheels

• Garrett Powered

Chris (I'm guessing from your e-mail address), you have a great looking car. The 94-96 white B4U GP's with color-keyed 5-spokes are probably the best looking first-gen's (aside from the TGP's that is ;) ). I know opinions are like assholes and all, but please don't dick up that car with some gaudy F-body style hood.

Thank you for letting me know about that. I didnt realize fiberglass molded to metal would crack. I'll have to look into other options then.

what do you think body filler does? it gets bonded to steel all around.

done correctly, it can last a long time. but it's not an easy task.

Yeah, you got my name right. :lol: I really love this car and i have to agree with you that it looks really sharp in white with the white wheels. I dont like the huge scoops or hoods for this style of car. But i wouldn't mind having some type of low-profile hood. Its an idea that i had in mind for a long time but i'm in no hurry to get it done. I do love he original GTP hood w/louvers.....i just wanted to see what else is out there. :biggrin:

The only hood that belongs on an 88-96 Grand Prix:

permagrin.jpg

Also the only facial expression you should have when driving a Grand Prix.

That is the expression that I had when I rode in Awebs car, b/c ofthe handling.

His expression is due to the power.

Chris (I'm guessing from your e-mail address), you have a great looking car. The 94-96 white B4U GP's with color-keyed 5-spokes are probably the best looking first-gen's (aside from the TGP's that is ;) ). I know opinions are like assholes and all, but please don't dick up that car with some gaudy F-body style hood.

Well said

I vote GTP louvers or leave it alone

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

My fiberglass scoops have been molded onto my metal hood for 6 years now with no issues...i'm pretty sure some of ya'll remember me building this...this was before Corey (blackbombshell) made his AND mine is functional.

I had it on a couple cars.... still on the TGP

On my black 96 GTP (RIP!)

n55905245_30500906_4556.jpg

Now flat black on the TGP, still plan on repainting it sooner or later

n55905245_30892735_5467.jpg

n55905245_30799154_9508.jpg

n55905245_30799153_3240.jpg

And yes the hoodpins are still functional...some of ya'll remember my 92 that i had the arch over the window on the door removed from the door and molded onto the body...the emergency release for the doors in case the battery died for the automated doors/shaved doors died was under the booster, so i had to have a way to get in, therefor, hood pins!

The hood will be repainted on the car with another paint scheme...

a healthy 3400 with headers and what look like SBC narrow body full roller rockers, i would be PISSED if it was anything less than 200HP crank.

Why would one spend that much money on a 3400 when you could get the same numbers out of an L67 swap?

same reason i ask why someone would bother with a L67 when the LZ9 makes the same HP with no blower and only a .1 liter increase in displacement: we all like different things.

L67 aftermarket > LZ9 nothing-ness

a healthy 3400 with headers and what look like SBC narrow body full roller rockers, i would be PISSED if it was anything less than 200HP crank.

Why would one spend that much money on a 3400 when you could get the same numbers out of an L67 swap?

same reason i ask why someone would bother with a L67 when the LZ9 makes the same HP with no blower and only a .1 liter increase in displacement: we all like different things.

he didn't want to do the l67 swap because he feels that must be above everyone else and not do what is normally done.

He was once the "fuck the L67" guys...now he has a modded GTP DD. So... :lol:

he didn't want to do the l67 swap because he feels that must be above everyone else and not do what is normally done.

Ya and he still has the 3400 car so whats your point?

we also don't NEED an aftermarket...

I have a great place for this engine debate.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=84222.msg1166674#msg1166674

My engine swap thread. If you think there's a better engine than the L67 with which I can put down a reasonable amount of power, lend me a hand. :biggrin:

we also don't NEED an aftermarket...

If you're happy with stock power out of the LZ9...that's cool then!

But...sorry to de-rail this thread, heh

Quad 4 owns all y0!

Actually it does. Why the hell did they discontinue the W41 model? 190hp out of a 4-banger naturally aspirated? Drop a turbo on that and you're good to go.

No need to have a L67 swap when I have a 02 GTP with 293whp & 329wtq stock cam/shortblock w/ zzp 1.0 bin file

My 3400 engine should put down around 250whp with no nitrous. But the engine is built to handle a big shot of nitrous :wink:. I hit a wall cause I don't have enough money to get her finished.

I ran a search for my username and thats how I found this thread :lol:

What I don't like about the warbird scoops is when the body shop installs the scoop too far back on the hood. This is how its suppose to be installed.

bbs.jpg

blackbombshell.jpg

I drove my 02 GTP to a local grand prix meet and I wore my Fuck the L67 shirt. My brothers 98 GTP caught on fire and burnt to the ground, so I still don't like the L67's. But the aftermarket & supercharger whine is addicting. My DD is a 99 chevy prizm

I too would love an early 4th gen F-body ram air-style hood for my GP, but I believe the only way to do that is custom... *sigh*

There is a member that used to frequent here that had a 95 GP with the WS6 Trans Am style scoops on his hood. Looked pretty bad ass. Not sure if it was a hood he had made or if it was a from a company or something. His screen name was BlackBombShell95 or something along those lines. Unfortunately he doesnt own the car anymore and doesnt frequent this site.

I sold the car? Last I checked it was in my dad's garage.

No need to have a L67 swap when I have a 02 GTP with 293whp & 329wtq stock cam/shortblock w/ zzp 1.0 bin file

My 3400 engine should put down around 250whp with no nitrous. But the engine is built to handle a big shot of nitrous :wink:. I hit a wall cause I don't have enough money to get her finished; although if my dad gives me the $5k he promised me this week then i can finish the car by february.

I ran a search for my username and thats how I found this thread :lol:

What I don't like about the warbird scoops is when the body shop installs the scoop too far back on the hood. This is how its suppose to be installed.

bbs.jpg

The more I look at that picture, the more I love that hood. For some reason I always thought that car was green, but it looks badass on a black car. Fits with the B4U kit nicely IMO.

Only thing I dislike is the wheels on that car, though I'm not sure what I'd want to see on it. 077's maybe?

I think those wheels look niiice on there. They look good on black 2nd Gen's too! haha

Infact there was a local Grand Prix mod day 3 years ago where a 97-03 GTP had them on. The owner of PFYC was attending the mod day with his new Z06 vette and he made a comment about how he liked those wheels. Next thing I know I bought them.

• 1 month later...