So I wanna run subs thru a stock pontiac HU...

buickman091

Subs only need a mono signal. You can just tap both sets of wires into one speaker. You would only need to go to each speaker if you're running a amp for mids/highs. In which case i wouldnt suggest using a LOC anyway. The black wire on there is a ground wire. You shouldnt need it.

Subs only need a mono signal. You can just tap both sets of wires into one speaker. You would only need to go to each speaker if you're running a amp for mids/highs. In which case i wouldnt suggest using a LOC anyway. The black wire on there is a ground wire. You shouldnt need it.

so both rear channels will carry the same amount of bass? this is how a typical sub output works on a home system (the single wire)? since bass is nondirectional? sorry, it's been a long time since i've done any research and since i've setup my system but as an example if there were a base drum that was supposed to be in the rear left and you were tapped into the rear right channel you would still have the same signal for that bass frequency since it's bass and the mids and highs are all that change between each speaker?

so both rear channels will carry the same amount of bass? this is how a typical sub output works on a home system (the single wire)? since bass is nondirectional? sorry, it's been a long time since i've done any research and since i've setup my system but as an example if there were a base drum that was supposed to be in the rear left and you were tapped into the rear right channel you would still have the same signal for that bass frequency since it's bass and the mids and highs are all that change between each speaker?

Pretty much. there is no such thing as "stereo" bass. It is just loud. that is why it doesn't matter where you put the sub in your hometheatre system, it will make the same noise no matter what.

Most people bridge their subs anyway, to get more power outta them.

i'm thinking the problem here is that CD's are encoded in at 2 channels, sometimes the channels have different audio to them. i think Beatles and Ozzy CDs are a good example of this. couple of Queen tracks as well....

i'm thinking the problem here is that CD's are encoded in at 2 channels, sometimes the channels have different audio to them. i think Beatles and Ozzy CDs are a good example of this. couple of Queen tracks as well....

I work at a store that only sells retail electronics car audio and home theater. I can tell you all that robert is right about using both left and right channels. It is a bad idea to use just one as you can lose bass from the track from instruments like guitars if the are recorded left or right on the soundstage. If you only use 1 of the rca inputs to the amp you may also be missing 3 db from the system. dont split the single output fro the line converter to make two channels. Thats the hack way to do it and something a guy who drives a 95 neon would do.

Pretty much. there is no such thing as "stereo" bass. It is just loud. that is why it doesn't matter where you

No.. you can pan the bass track to each channel as you see fit. Lots of early Beatles records have the bass and instruments on one channel and the vocals on another. Also, there are records where drum kits are miced in stereo, and you'll only get two of the tom-toms on one channel. There is more bass in a music mix than just the bass guitar.

True, a good mix has the low end in the center, but that's not always the case.

I have had mine running for a couple of weeks and had no problems receiving the bass to my subwoofers, I see the point that you guys are talking about and it makes sense, I should have done it like that, but everything is put back together and I'm to lazy to fix it specially if I don't see a problem :lol: maybe later! but so far so good :wink:

I just got my car back from the shop and the first thing I am going to do is this.

I am am going to use a stereo signal into my 1200 watt monoblock. I have to get the remote and power wire ran first though.

Unless you are a real audiophile you wont ever notice a differance. And if you are a real audiphile you wouldnt be using a LOC in the first place.

Ummm...I guarantee you you would notice a difference....If all the bass is on the right channel for a specific song and your sub is only connected to the left channel, you will not have any bass coming through your sub.

While bass is somewhat non-directional, you can still have bass on the left and right channels independantly. A home theater setup is different for 2 reasons. First is that the Amp has a dedicated sub output, which sends the combined bass from both the left and right channels. Second reason is that when in surround mode, the Low-Frequncy Effects is encoded as it's own discrete channel, so there is only 1 bass channel to begin with.

And while bass is "non-directional"...that is only true to a certain point. Frequencies above a certain point become rather directional and easier to localize. There a some songs that I listen to on my home system where the bass track begins on the right channel, and you can definitely tell that the bass is coming from the right.